1A Game of the Week: 1A #4 Paintsville vs. 1A #5 Raceland

Bac2369

Who wins?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

The Kentucky High School Football season is winding down and district play is almost over. The seedings should almost be set in stone after this week. The final week of district play is here and so is the Class 1A Game of the Week between The Paintsville Tigers and the Raceland Rams.

If 2016 is an indication on how this game may play out then we will be on the edge of our seats all game long, until the final horn sounds. Raceland finished the 2016 season at 10-3 with 2 of those 3 losses coming at the hands of Paintsville. So a win in 2017 for Raceland would be bitter sweet and lock up the district 1 seed. Ram Nation would be in a frenzy. Paintsville will hope to continue its recent success and have Racelands number while locking up the 1 seed in the district for the third year in a row.

The 2017 Paintsville Tigers is lead by D-1 West Virginia commit Tyrese Allen. Allen is the Tiger's leading rusher with 477 yards and 6 touchdowns. Senior Tanner Smith is the 2nd leading rusher with 454 yards and 9 touchdowns. Dalton Daniels is third on the team in rushing with 317 yards and 3 touchdowns. Dalton Daniels returned to the lineup against Fairview since being injured since the Pikeville game. Having him back makes this offense even more dangerous. The Paintsvilles air attack is lead by freshmen Jake Hyden who has thrown for over 600 yards and 8 touchdowns. Jake Hyden's favorite targets are Tanner Smith, James and Chris Allen. These three have accounted for over 500 yards. West Virginia commit Tyrese Allen has been reeking havoc all year and every play. Christion Kenton and John Phelps are other contributors strong contributors on this defense, racking up 92 tackles on the season. The whole defensive unit has accumulated 7 interceptions and 6 fumble recoveries on the season.

The 2017 Raceland Rams in are lead by Quarterback Damon Black. Black has thrown for 768 yards and 5 touchdowns. Dalton Adkins and Cameron Webb have been his favorite targets, accounting for 489 yards of the 768 yards that Black has thrown for this season. The name Gunnar Lewis should also be known as a big play guy. He has racked up 155 yards and 1 touchdown on just 5 catches, averaging 31 yards a catch. Judd Adkins and Hunter Lacks anchor the Rams rushing attack, making it a formidable 1-2 punch. These two have accounted for 818 yards and 12 touchdowns making it an opponents challenge to contain both backs. The Rams defense has been pretty stingy all season just allowing over 11 points a game. This tight defense is lead by Justin Whitmoyer and Nolan Smith who have accounted for 106 tackles on the season. The defense is only allowing a total of 213 yards per game and has racked up 5 interceptions and 4 fumble recoveries. Raceland hopes this is the year they take back the district and the 1 seed for the playoffs.

Who wins this week's 1A Game of the Week? Can Paintsville lock up the bothe the 1 seed and district again in 2017? Will Raceland come into Paintsville and steal a Victory?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... this is the best small school rivalry in EKY over the past few years. Paintsville's won the last four in a row, but the last three have gone down to the wire. There's plenty of respect between the fan bases, with just a hint of animosity that grows a little each year. Those are two ingredients that every great rivalry needs.

This year's game has "war of attrition" written all over it. Two of the best defenses in 1A and a couple of offenses that have yet to find a consistent run/pass balance and play up to their potential.

Raceland has to go to what I consider one of if not the toughest venues in the state of Kentucky to get a win. That alone gives the Tigers a big advantage, not to mention the fact that Paintsville has a great football team and that makes it all the more difficult.

Raceland, to have a chance will have to be All In, All pulling together, playing for the guy next to you as One, for Ram football pride....Not quitting on any play, picking up their teammate, mental toughness as well as physical toughness. A Raceland win is not impossible but it will take the Rams best effort, best game played this season.

Why do you think so?

I agree. I think that it's very possible, or has the 1A playoff format changed ?

ckymind is a Paris fan. I think he's insinuating that the Greyhounds will prevent the Raceland/Paintsville rematch from happening. The loser of this game will likely make the trip to Paris for the 2nd Round.

ckymind is a Paris fan. I think he's insinuating that the Greyhounds will prevent the Raceland/Paintsville rematch from happening. The loser of this game will likely make the trip to Paris for the 2nd Round.

O.K. then, I have no problem with any fan backing their team.

You're right. I understood what he meant. Someone's gotta stand up for our hounds though.