Cooper 35 Boone County 7

futurecoach

I went to this game. Boone County isn't very good. They had decent size but were slow at nearly every position. Cooper is clearly down from the success they've had in recent years but when they began throwing vertical they had their best success and there was nothing Boone could do.

Congrats to the Jags on getting their first W. Mentally this will prepare them for their other rival next week. This team is young and you can see flashes of future success. I said this summer that Jeremiah Lee was gonna be special and many are now seeing just what the freshman can do.

Congrats to the Jags on getting their first W. Mentally this will prepare them for their other rival next week. This team is young and you can see flashes of future success. I said this summer that Jeremiah Lee was gonna be special and many are now seeing just what the freshman can do.

Does Lee's father have the same first name, and is the same guy who played for Lloyd in the mid-90's?

Also, wanted to give a shout out to Justin Schlarman for a great game. He was the first to start catching the throws which broke the game wide open. Good to see him get some active time on offense again as a senior.

Also, the defense as a whole for Cooper needs some props. They have been run on all year but stepped it up last night. Micheal Spencer has been moved to end and on the defensive line and seems to have filled some of the holes that were open early in the year. Also, the secondary played great especially in the 4th quarter when Boone was taking multiple shots deep. Coverage was spot on.

Clarification of the rules: Cooper has the ball on their own 33 yrd line. They hiked the ball and run a play that appeared to be an option play to the left. Boone had it covered so the QB reverses field and is about to get hit by a LB. He tosses the ball over to the right sideline into the hands of a receiver (Schlarman) who catches it at the 32 yrd line. There are at least two offensive lineman (#s 75, 50) beyond the line of scrimmage (one over the 35 and the other had been over the 40) because they were blocking for what looked like a run play. The receiver runs nearly 70 yards for a TD without getting touched.

If I recall, there was a flag thrown on the play. When it turned out not to be a penalty the Boone coaches go crazy and are arguing with the refs. I guess they were arguing ineligible receiver downfield, not sure. But the receiver caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage. The end result when all was said and done was 14-0, Cooper.

So my question is, if the receiver catches the ball behind the LOS like I described, can the lineman already be across the LOS without penalty? My understanding is that they can.

One thing about the Freshman QB for Cooper, he got hit hard in that game on several occasions and got up and kept playing. His passes were on target for the most part and his receivers were wide open. He made things happen with his feet but he took some punishment. He even got in a shot of his own on the kick-off following Schlarman's long TD catch and run. Came over to the sideline, put his head down and went top of the helmet to the returner's face mask to knock him out of bounds.

Clarification of the rules: Cooper has the ball on their own 33 yrd line. They hiked the ball and run a play that appeared to be an option play to the left. Boone had it covered so the QB reverses field and is about to get hit by a LB. He tosses the ball over to the right sideline into the hands of a receiver (Schlarman) who catches it at the 32 yrd line. There are at least two offensive lineman (#s 75, 50) beyond the line of scrimmage (one over the 35 and the other had been over the 40) because they were blocking for what looked like a run play. The receiver runs nearly 70 yards for a TD without getting touched.

If I recall, there was a flag thrown on the play. When it turned out not to be a penalty the Boone coaches go crazy and are arguing with the refs. I guess they were arguing ineligible receiver downfield, not sure. But the receiver caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage. The end result when all was said and done was 14-0, Cooper.

So my question is, if the receiver catches the ball behind the LOS like I described, can the lineman already be across the LOS without penalty? My understanding is that they can.

One thing about the Freshman QB for Cooper, he got hit hard in that game on several occasions and got up and kept playing. His passes were on target for the most part and his receivers were wide open. He made things happen with his feet but he took some punishment. He even got in a shot of his own on the kick-off following Schlarman's long TD catch and run. Came over to the sideline, put his head down and went top of the helmet to the returner's face mask to knock him out of bounds.

Yes lineman can be down field as long as the pass it behind the line of scrimmage. Which is why it got overturned.

One thing I have never seen before was a play I believe in the 3rd quarter. Cooper threw a simple 5 yard hitch on the sideline on 4th down. The Ref on the sideline which was 2 yards from the play spotted the ball to where it would be a first down. However the ref all the way on the other sideline came running over and overruled him and moved the ball back one yard and so it ended up not being a first down. I have never seen anything like that happen before while sitting in the stands. A ref literally from the other sideline overruled the sideline ref who was 2 yards away from the play on the spot.

My assumption as I am not an official is that because that pass took place BEHIND the original LOS is that the linemen can be down field on a pass thrown backwards. I assume that if that pass had been dropped it would have been a live ball since, in theory, it would have been a lateral and could have been recovered by Boone.

As for the hits that Lee took, that is simply the way the young man has played all of his life. He's a tough kid but I agree at some point those hits catch up to you. He's tough as nails and I envision that as he gets older and wiser he will learn how to get out of bounds, go down and avoid contact. Right now he's playing the only way he knows how and that is to try and be a play-maker. I seem to remember a similar statured Cooper QB named Tyler Morris being the exact same way.

My assumption as I am not an official is that because that pass took place BEHIND the original LOS is that the linemen can be down field on a pass thrown backwards. I assume that if that pass had been dropped it would have been a live ball since, in theory, it would have been a lateral and could have been recovered by Boone.

As for the hits that Lee took, that is simply the way the young man has played all of his life. He's a tough kid but I agree at some point those hits catch up to you. He's tough as nails and I envision that as he gets older and wiser he will learn how to get out of bounds, go down and avoid contact. Right now he's playing the only way he knows how and that is to try and be a play-maker. I seem to remember a similar statured Cooper QB named Tyler Morris being the exact same way.

It was a forward pass. QB scrambled back about 10 yards and threw to the receiver who was closer to the line of scrimmage, yet still behind it. @futurecoach is probably correct.

It was a forward pass. QB scrambled back about 10 yards and threw to the receiver who was closer to the line of scrimmage, yet still behind it. @futurecoach is probably correct.

The one that left me scratching my head was the Boone touchdown. The line of scrimmage was the 4 and the running back took the handoff and ran on a sweep to the 2 and then flipped it over the heads of the defenders into a waiting WR in the end zone. I am assuming that the underhand flip is still considered a pass so would it have been illegal since he was past the line of scrimmage?

The one that left me scratching my head was the Boone touchdown. The line of scrimmage was the 4 and the running back took the handoff and ran on a sweep to the 2 and then flipped it over the heads of the defenders into a waiting WR in the end zone. I am assuming that the underhand flip is still considered a pass so would it have been illegal since he was past the line of scrimmage?

I can help you on this one. The LOS was the 4 yrd line. The kid never crossed the 5 yrd line when he threw an overhand toss. It looked like a basketball shot--a fade-away floater from inside the foul line. Fooled everyone in the stadium. But it was by the rules.