If YOU were an OC, what would your main offense be and why?

KyPreps1965

It would be the wing-t or triple option for me...I'm old school I'd get my offensive linemen big and strong in the weight room and get a solid stable of backs. If I had a qb who could throw, great! If not, we'd keep the D honest with about 10 throws per game!

What say you? You're the OC of a school of your choice...what's your offense?

You must evaluate your talent and choose your system accordingly. I'd prefer the spread offense because you will attract more offensive players due to it being more fun!

Better skill people, better linemen-more interest and knowledge: many successful college programs utilize the spread attack. You must have the skill people to run the attack.

Passing game is not learned overnight.

You must evaluate your talent and choose your system accordingly. I'd prefer the spread offense because you will attract more offensive players due to it being more fun!

Better skill people, better linemen-more interest and knowledge: many successful college programs utilize the spread attack. You must have the skill people to run the attack.

Agree with this 100%. If you have the talent at your school to run the Spread and throw it all over the field and maybe even a QB with enough speed and intelligence to run some RPO’s out of the Spread. That offense is the best offense their is in the game and gives the defense the most fits if properly called and ran but it requires the right personnel to run it and if your at a school where the talent pool is extremely thin you might not have the right personnel to run it so it would depend where you are and what type of athletes you have at the school. A great coach can adjust to his players and put them in the proper system to help them succeed.

My offense would be UNPREDICTABLE. That's what it'd be! :lol2:

Seriously, I love the spread. But if the question is what offensive scheme would I use that would give me the best chance of being competitive every year, regardless of the type of talent I have coming up, it would probably be the Wing-T.

If I don't have huge, dominant lineman, the Wing-T allows for a "smoke-and-mirrors", angle-oriented attack that gives my runners a chance against a superior DL. If I do have great linemen, all the better.

The offense is often associated with teams that primarily run, but the offense can feature a good passing game, with multiple potential receivers. It can be run from under center or out of the shotgun. I've seen teams put up a lot of points consistently with this offense.

The offense thrives on misdirection, motion, and often makes the defense look silly if it guess wrong.

Run right, the Wing-T also puts the ball in a lot of different players' hands, making it difficult to key on one or two individuals.

It's not quite as flashy as the spread, but it can be every bit as exciting. And I've found that kids get excited by success. With average players, you can have success with this offense if they are smart and execute. With really talented players, this can actually be a very big play offense.

But maybe the best thing about this offense, is that it can be run with almost any mix of talent. It doesn't require you do much to modify it for the talent mix. I wouldn't want to change my scheme up too much every year. Consistency - whatever the scheme - is a proven recipe for success. My middle school feeder programs would run it, my freshman team would run it, and my JV team would run it.

See, here's the thing with that. When you say spread, what do you mean? You can run the Wing-T out of the spread, of a million other offenses you know what I mean?

And I've seen fun offenses from under center....I believe a lot of us a bought into what the System was selling. I do think it has the potential to get more skill kids out, but if you don't have the lineman to block for a qb that you may or may not have, then it doesn't matter what skill kids you have or how many kids you have on a team. You only need 11 on each side...doesn't take a whole army. To be successful in the System, it's predicated on a solid qb, and those aren't a dime a dozen in high school. A lot easier to find kids who can be solid runners than to find and make a solid thrower in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing your input!

Agree with this 100%. If you have the talent at your school to run the Spread and throw it all over the field and maybe even a QB with enough speed and intelligence to run some RPO’s out of the Spread. That offense is the best offense their is in the game and gives the defense the most fits if properly called and ran but it requires the right personnel to run it and if your at a school where the talent pool is extremely thin you might not have the right personnel to run it so it would depend where you are and what type of athletes you have at the school. A great coach can adjust to his players and put them in the proper system to help them succeed.

Those are a lot of big IF's lol but if you have the jimmies and joes, then I say go for it! You make a great point, though...a great coach adjusts to his players instead of making his players fit a specific scheme.

I am with you ColonelMike.....as in Scott Co.'s program year in-year out.

I am, too. Scott County is the first program that came to my mind as well. They are a machine. The system is pretty, I get it. 40+ passing attempts/game. It looks beautiful when ran smoothly, it can look like music to see a qb pick apart a defense and find gaps in the zone!

But @ColonelMike said it best...

"It's not quite as flashy as the spread, but it can be every bit as exciting. And I've found that kids get excited by success. With average players, you can have success with this offense if they are smart and execute. With really talented players, this can actually be a very big play offense.

But maybe the best thing about this offense, is that it can be run with almost any mix of talent. It doesn't require you do much to modify it for the talent mix. I wouldn't want to change my scheme up too much every year. Consistency - whatever the scheme - is a proven recipe for success. My middle school feeder programs would run it, my freshman team would run it, and my JV team would run it."

Kids are excited by wins and stats...let's be honest. They like to win ballgames and see yards like video games. This offense can have teams churn out 400+ yards/game with some crazy insane plays. When kids start seeing that happen, that's a selling point without a coach having to speak that out loud.

Also, there's something to say about what Coach McKee has done with his time there...and I know everyone doesn't like the man for whatever their rationale is, but you can't deny his system he has in place. Everyone in their county runs the Wing-T lol