Best Player in Class 3A

gchs_uk9

The guys from Waggener obviously,

But one some might not know about...

Jay Becherer- Elizabethtown

Remember on NCAA College Football (PlayStation) back in the day when you could create the “recruit” who was a 99 across the board?

Yeah. That’s him.

Becherer's a great pick, Harry. He's averaging a whopping 15.8 ypc this year and has scored 8 rushing TDs on just 34 carries.

For me, a couple of very impactful two-way players come to mind. RB/LB Derek Wellman from Belfry and WR/DB Reese Smith from Boyle County. Wellman leads the Pirates in rushing and tackling, and is a tremendous leader. Smith is just a sophomore, but is already one of the top WRs in 3A and has picked off five passes this year on defense.

Becherer's a great pick, Harry. He's averaging a whopping 15.8 ypc this year and has scored 8 rushing TDs on just 34 carries.

For me, a couple of very impactful two-way players come to mind. RB/LB Derek Wellman from Belfry and WR/DB Reese Smith from Boyle County. Wellman leads the Pirates in rushing and tackling, and is a tremendous leader. Smith is just a sophomore, but is already one of the top WRs in 3A and has picked off five passes this year on defense.

...and, he’s only played about half of the snaps due to the amount of running clocks they’ve had. (Becherer that is)

I've watched Jay Becherer every game for the last 3 years and he's as tough a kid as I've seen in a long time. Got D1 talent just not prototypical D1 size. Kid leaves it all on the field every game, fantastic player.

3A is loaded with great individual players. In fact I would say it is the best class in the State, hands down, for individual talent this year.

WanDale Robinson, Western Hills- Most explosive player. Great athlete. College prospect.

Jairus Brents, Waggener (surprised he hasn't been mentioned)- Elite level athlete, still raw as a football player. Probably the biggest recruit in the class.

Tajh Rice, Waggener- The prototype guy. Big, Strong, athletic.One of the best DL in the State.

Jay Becherer, Etown- The swiss army knife. Can run, throw, catch, defend, return kicks, mow the grass, and make the best darn chili in Hardin County

Derek Wellman, Belfry- The football player. Wellman is the guy you choose if you are building your high school football team and get first pick. The best LB in the class, the best FB in the class, and possibly the best leader.

Camron Sizemore, Corbin- The winner. Always use the reference that he is the Tim Tebow of KY High School Football. Might not have D-1 measurables, but the kid just carries his team in the clutch.

Reese Smith, Boyle County- The next big thing. Already a superstar on each side of the ball, he is only starting his trajectory.

That's a strong list as it is and we haven't even included what I feel is the second tier:

Taveon Hunter, Belfry- He has been a highlight reel all season. Watch his Hudl highlights, I strongly encourage it.

Dameon Jones, LexCath- A lot of schools in KY would die to have him running the ball.

Beau Allen, LexCath- This guy may be a 4* or 5* QB prospect by the time he is a Senior.

Devin Varney, Belfry- May end up among the all-time leaders in career INT's. Has simply been a play maker for four years for Belfry.

I've watched Jay Becherer every game for the last 3 years and he's as tough a kid as I've seen in a long time. Got D1 talent just not prototypical D1 size. Kid leaves it all on the field every game, fantastic player.

I hope somebody takes a chance on him; he's one of those kids where you need to take the "measurable" (mainly his height I'd guess?) & toss any 'negative' out the window. I'd love nothing more than to see WKU or somebody like that take a chance on him.....he's going to be a "Looky at what we have here" for somebody at the next level.

Only saw him once when they played FS the first game of the year. He was the best player on the field that night. I could definitely see him as a Wes Welker/Julian Edelman type slot receiver in college or maybe even the pros.

My top ten 1. Wandale Robinson- Western Hills

2. Jarius Brents- Louisville Wagner

3. Derek Wellman- Belfry

4. Tajh Rice- Louisville Wagner (lineman)

5. Beau Allen- Lexington Catholic

6. Wilson Kelly- Boyle (lineman)

7. Damian Jones- Lexington Catholic

8. Reese Smith- Boyle

9. Cameron Sizemore- Corbin

10. Will Bramel- Boyle (lineman)

10. Jay Becherer- E- town

I keep up with 3a and 6a since I'm a big Trinity fan but 3a has a lot of really good players in this class. I'm sure we all are forgetting some really good players but these are some of the ones that come to mind that are very special..