Should certain programs choose not to play for state title?

thsrocks

Should some schools opt out of state playoffs?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should some schools opt out of state playoffs?

There are several teams in each class that have no shot at winning a state title or even a playoff game. The schools could choose not to play for the state title and form their own "league" and compete among themselves.

I can name Jeffersontown, Seneca, and 5 winless Class 6A teams to start the list. I am not trying to be a jerk about this. Some of these schools simply do not have the talent and the resources to field a team capable of winning a district, let alone the state title. This list would include teams that have "scheduled" a few wins versus smaller programs.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the KHSAA website. These schools will not compete in any district, therefore, will not be in playoffs this year or next.

Not Placed in Alignment – Clinton County, Eminence, Grant County, Jenkins

I am not sure KHSAA would allow them to play for their own championship. Unfortunately, there will never be parity in high school sports.

Some already do. I believe Grant County is one of those schools this year. I may be mistaken, but I think they would be in the 5A CCH, Highlands, Dixie Heights district if they chose to play.

Pendleton County did this a few years ago as well. It allowed them to choose their schedule and get a program off the ground without getting pummeled in district play. I think in the right circumstances, this can be a good idea and even save a program.

There are several teams in each class that have no shot at winning a state title or even a playoff game. The schools could choose not to play for the state title and form their own "league" and compete among themselves.

I can name Jeffersontown, Seneca, and 5 winless Class 6A teams to start the list. I am not trying to be a jerk about this. Some of these schools simply do not have the talent and the resources to field a team capable of winning a district, let alone the state title. This list would include teams that have "scheduled" a few wins versus smaller programs.

What are your thoughts?

I'd say there are quite a few more than several. In reality, there are only a handful of teams in each class that are capable of winning a state title in any given year.