Where does Mayfield currently stand in the hierarchy of 2A?

Where does Mayfield stand right now?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Mayfield stand right now?

• They're just as big a favorite as anyone else
    • They're still a threat, but probably a year away from putting it all together

I know it might seem preposterous to insinuate that the mighty Mayfield Cardinals could ever fly below the radar. But, it kinda feels like that's exactly what they're doing right now.

It seems unusually quiet on the Mayfield front since the loss to Corbin. Between DeSales/CAL last week and Danville/LCA next week, the Cardinals have seemingly taken a backseat to their 2A contemporaries for the time being. That is due, in part, to the fact that Mayfield is lacking a big time district dance partner like the teams mentioned above.

Has the loss to Corbin taken any of the shine off of this Mayfield squad, or are they still every bit the championship contender that Danville, DeSales, and LCA are?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it might seem preposterous to insinuate that the mighty Mayfield Cardinals could ever fly below the radar. But, it kinda feels like that's exactly what they're doing right now.

It seems unusually quiet on the Mayfield front since the loss to Corbin. Between DeSales/CAL last week and Danville/LCA next week, the Cardinals have seemingly taken a backseat to their 2A contemporaries for the time being. That is due, in part, to the fact that Mayfield is lacking a big time district dance partner like the teams mentioned above.

Has the loss to Corbin taken any of the shine off of this Mayfield squad, or are they still every bit the championship contender that Danville, DeSales, and LCA are?

What can Mayfield say? I think Mayfield got through the early battle, just fine. Now it's time to heal their wounds, build back up momentum before the playoff's. Mayfield has one more competitive match up before the playoff's (Caldwell County). Then Mayfield will be a formidable opponent to anybody that enter's War Memorial.

What can Mayfield say? I think Mayfield got through the early battle, just fine. Now it's time to heal their wounds, build back up momentum before the playoff's. Mayfield has one more competitive match up before the playoff's (Caldwell County). Then Mayfield will be a formidable opponent to anybody that enter's War Memorial.

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second! Mayfield's not going to roll over for anyone at home in November.

This Cardinals squad is hard to get a read on, IMO. Unlike some of the other contenders, they don't really have a signature win that grabbed people's attention. Through no fault of their own, their schedule has been a little suspect this season so far...

- Union City hasn't lost since getting spanked by the Cards, but how good are they, really?

- Hopkinsville isn't what everyone thought they'd be and only has one win

- PT just can't quite get over the hump (and PT happens to be Hopkinsville's only win)

- McCracken and Graves are hardly world beaters this year

Usually, we have a good handle on Mayfield this time of year. This year just feels different some how. Maybe it has something to do with the other teams at the top of this class. 2A is blessed with a very strong nucleus of five or six teams, and some of those teams have had, or will have opportunities for headline worthy victories. Mayfield had that chance against Corbin. Maybe they'll get another one against a quality Caldwell County team.

I'm still remember that 2015 loss down there. Any one who makes it to War Memorial is in for a dogfight. They have been there before and they always expect to win no matter who they face. So yes they are always a contender because they got football in their blood, their coach is a winner and their fans 'super' surport the Cardinals....Just ask Toothpick, Snakesnot and others who come on this site, they can tell ya better than me!

This is that magical time of year when the best coaching staff in the state analyzes all the data they have collected over the first half of the season and utilizes it to build a championship contender. Adjustments are being made, tweeks are being implemented, packages are being added, strengths are being emphasized, and weaknesses are being negated.

It's all quiet because much of this is top secret stuff we aren't allowed to talk about and the rest of 2a won't see for another five weeks or so. Don't you worry, the MF camp is very busy and they will be ready come November.

As long as Joe Morris is at Mayfield I have a tough time ever seeing the Cardinals being unable to compete for a state championship. And with the home field advantage for a lot of the playoffs, they will be tough. Great stadium with great crowd and tradition. And as for schedule, it has never mattered. When they were 1A state champs many times, and 2A. They will be prepared with the best gameplan against each opponent.

As usual in the past few years, any of the three teams from the west could win it all. To me they are all equal - CAL will be a different team in the playoffs with Carr back, DeSales will be a different team because they are SO young and growing up every game in front of our eyes, and Mayfield is Mayfield and will be playing at home this year. I don't see a Desales 2013 or CAL 2016 type team in this crowd (as I personally think those are the two best 2A teams in the past five years).

It's just hard to know for sure where you stack up without common opponents, and that can be deceiving as well. Mayfield does not have a head turning win for sure, their best measuring stick was the loss to Corbin, and although I thought Corbin was ( Tuffer), Mayfield was in contention for the win down to the last series. We may not be as tough defensively as years past but we will be a tuff out for sure. I think Desales has the team to beat, but I don't think anyone cherishes the thought of coming down here for a playoff game.

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second! Mayfield's not going to roll over for anyone at home in November.

This Cardinals squad is hard to get a read on, IMO. Unlike some of the other contenders, they don't really have a signature win that grabbed people's attention. Through no fault of their own, their schedule has been a little suspect this season so far...

- Union City hasn't lost since getting spanked by the Cards, but how good are they, really?

- Hopkinsville isn't what everyone thought they'd be and only has one win

- PT just can't quite get over the hump (and PT happens to be Hopkinsville's only win)

- McCracken and Graves are hardly world beaters this year

Usually, we have a good handle on Mayfield this time of year. This year just feels different some how. Maybe it has something to do with the other teams at the top of this class. 2A is blessed with a very strong nucleus of five or six teams, and some of those teams have had, or will have opportunities for headline worthy victories. Mayfield had that chance against Corbin. Maybe they'll get another one against a quality Caldwell County team.

Union City was ranked #1 in 2A in Tennessee back when Mayfield beat them and they are ranked #2 right now with Mayfield being their only loss. The Corbin game could have gone either way and sometimes you can take a good defeat and learn from it. Graves and McCracken while they aren't world beaters they are solid teams. I also don't think anyone has great read on any team. I would put DeSales at #1 but I believe Mayfield can go toe to toe with them. Danville and LCA are the two teams to me that are hard to get a good read on.

I like where Mayfield is at this point in the season. Sitting over on the left bank of the state, out of site - out of mind, just getting ready for another deep playoff run.

RUN DMC correctly highlighted games through no fault to Mayfield have left the "fans" wanting a bit more, but you show up and put your 11 on the field with there's and see who wins.

I think the Corbin loss almost helps Mayfield as much as a win. Mayfield is very young at some important spots that are taking over for some fantastic players who graduated last season. I think that loss will help them refocus a bit on what it takes to win those bigger games.

Mayfield has the luxury to use their district as their "injury recover respite and tinkering ground". The teams in there aren't that good, although Murray should be alot better honestly. Coach Morris knows he can schedule heavy early with a nice break in a perfect time to prep for post season, although Caldwell County will be a very tough game.

Mayfield (and I think NewCath too) are in good spots as they only have to beat 1 of the heavyweights to make it to Lexington (no offense to OCATH). I mean Desales and CAL have to knock each other off before Mayfield even comes in the picture. I believe same thing for Danville and LCA before NewCath even comes in the picture. And to win in Mayfield that deep in the playoffs is very tough. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out. I would say right now that Desales is in the lead, but the margin for error is slim. The right bank of the bracket doesn't matter as much to Mayfield, as by the time that comes into play the State Championship would be on the line and they go in expecting to win. Go Cardinals!

Don't see the loss to Corbin as a negative at all. I thought Corbin was the favorite going into that game anyway and don't think any of the 2A contenders would have done much better.

Do you think Beechwood would be the best team in 2A?

If DeSales or Danville was playing Corbin I would make either team a slight favorite.. LCA maybe a slight underdog.. CAL and Newcath 10-14 point underdogs right now.