How relevant is High School Basketball? (OP)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If high school basketball or sports are about getting to the next level of play, then why have them and we are headed in the wrong direction? High school sports SHOULD be about community and teamwork. I don't see it any different than belonging to the FFA, ROTC, etc. The biggest difference in some communities is the basketball game is the only game in town that night if you want to get out and do something pretty close to home.

Some really really gifted players will play att teh next level and that is great, but I hope that is not what high school sports is about.

We have debated this several times on here. Academics provides teh most opportunities for school's and it isn't even close to what sports provides in opportunities.

My guess though this was trying to get a debate going between AAU and high school.

If high school basketball or sports are about getting to the next level of play, then why have them and we are headed in the wrong direction? High school sports SHOULD be about community and teamwork. I don't see it any different than belonging to the FFA, ROTC, etc. The biggest difference in some communities is the basketball game is the only game in town that night if you want to get out and do something pretty close to home.

Some really really gifted players will play att teh next level and that is great, but I hope that is not what high school sports is about.

We have debated this several times on here. Academics provides teh most opportunities for school's and it isn't even close to what sports provides in opportunities.

My guess though this was trying to get a debate going between AAU and high school.

I agree with Maniac here, HS BB is much more than getting to the next level and the fact is it will play a role in launching to the next level, but more so at the NAIA and D3 level versus D1/D2. D1/D2 needs to see how you perform against the players who also are going to move on to that next level. In reality there are about 20 HS players in KY that get their education paid for at D1/D2 with a basketball scholarship. It is so hard to project if your HS performance is transferable when you never face other D1/D2 players in your HS season. Jake was an exception to the rule and it was his performance at the State tournament when he competed against other D1/D2 players that put him over the top. College Coaches love live periods in April & July because they see kids playing against the same kids competing for the roster spots at the D1/D2 level in the elite tournaments held.

Sweet 16, ask HS players if they want to play in this or a weekend AAU tournament?

Not an attempt to get a debate started. However if you are attempting to get to the next level of competition how relevant is high school?

Agree acadimics is the priority.

Agree on sweet sixteen comment. However if your next level talent stuck at BFE High that is a pipe dream.

Not an attempt to get a debate started. However if you are attempting to get to the next level of competition how relevant is high school?

Agree acadimics is the priority.

Agree on sweet sixteen comment. However if your next level talent stuck at BFE High that is a pipe dream.

If you are only talking about getting to the next level, then you are correct--you can get there without high school basketball or its relevance is low. High school basketball, in general, is about a lot more than that, as others have stated.

As to your last point, in 2017, I don't care where you are located, if you have next level talent and don't get noticed, that's on your coach and/or your family.

If you are only talking about getting to the next level, then you are correct--you can get there without high school basketball or its relevance is low. High school basketball, in general, is about a lot more than that, as others have stated.

As to your last point, in 2017, I don't care where you are located, if you have next level talent and don't get noticed, that's on your coach and/or your family.

I never mention not getting noticed