Joel Embiid gets $148M Extension

76ers' contract extension for Joel Embiid a massive gamble - Business Insider

The Philadelphia 76ers have agreed to a five-year, $148 million max rookie contract extension for fourth-year center Joel Embiid, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

According to Wojnarowski, if Embiid hits the max criteria over the course of the deal, it could be worth as much as $178 million.

As such, the 76ers are taking a massive gamble on Embiid after just 31 career games. Embiid, the No. 3 pick in the 2014 draft, missed the first two seasons of his career with foot injuries before playing 31 games last year — and then missing the rest of the season with a torn meniscus.

But those 31 games were a revelation. Embiid averaged 20 points on 46% shooting, 36% from downtown, with nearly eight rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game. With Embiid on the floor, the lowly 76ers actually outscored teams, competing with opponents for the first time in years after undergoing a dramatic rebuild.

This is insanity...a YOUNG big man with foot/leg problems typically does not get better as he becomes an OLDER big man...I hope I am wrong because he is a total stud when healthy but I doubt I will be wrong on this one.

The last time I felt a contract was this crazy when the Red Sox signed Panda to a $100MM contract...give a FAT guy $100MM guaranteed money and you think he will lose weight?!?!?!

From the article:

If Embiid recovers from his physical ailments and can play at least over 50% of the season annually, then the deal will be worthwhile.

Really? The goal here is to have Embiid healthy for at least 42 games a year, and then the contract is viewed as a success? 42 games? Now I know what it means to #trusttheprocess .

• 3 months later...