2018 FIFA World Cup

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year's World Cup is going to have no less than 8 teams w/ a LEGIT shot at winning it.

1. Belgium

2. France

3. Germany

4. Spain

5. Portugal

6. Brazil

7. Argentina (if they make it)

8. England....just kidding.

I've been a fan of West Germany/Germany since I was a little kid. I'm going to be cheering fr USA first (until they're knocked out), but I'll be pulling for Germany without a doubt. Here's hoping they become the 3rd country to get consecutive World Cup wins.

The Argentina thing is fascinating. Boatloads of talent but have a not insignificant chance of missing the field entirely with a tough final game on the road at Ecuador in which they will almost certainly need at least a point.

I'm pretty behind on things this go around. What is the situation with Argentina and Brazil this time?

I'm sorry but I will be cheering my butt off against Iceland. They abort every child over there who has down syndrome. I hope they lose every game 10-0.

While there's some truth in your comment there is also a great deal false in what you've said. I'd encourage you to venture over to Snopes to get the full story.

Beyond that, this is a soccer thread, so...ICELAND!

While there's some truth in your comment there is also a great deal false in what you've said. I'd encourage you to venture over to Snopes to get the full story.

Beyond that, this is a soccer thread, so...ICELAND!

Sorry didn't mean to steer this away from soccer, I was up late last night.

I'm pretty behind on things this go around. What is the situation with Argentina and Brazil this time?

Brazil is cruising. Qualified over a month ago.

Argentina is shockingly dropping games everywhere. If they lose tonight, they're out; no Messi at the World Cup. Crazy.

Current qualified teams:

UEFA: Russia, Belgium, Germany, England, Spain, Poland, Iceland, France, Portugal, Serbia

CONCACAF: Mexico, Costa Rica

AFC: Japan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, South Korea

CAF: Nigeria, Egypt

COMNEBOL: Brazil

Teams that have to play a playoff (will be updated when games finish tonight):

UEFA: Seeded: Switzerland, Italy, Denmark. Unseeded: Sweden, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Greece

OFC (will face the fifth place COMNEBOL team): New Zealand

AFC (will face the fourth place CONCACAF team): Australia

CONCACAF (will face Australia): TBD

COMNEBOL: (will face New Zealand) TBD

Will update as results happen tonight. CAF does not have playoffs, only group-winners qualify. COMNEBOL is tight at the moment, USA getting all the help they can but are currently down 2-0 to Trinidad and Tobago.

Update: Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia are headed to Russia. Peru will face New Zealand in a two-legged playoff for a place at the World Cup. Chile, the current champions of Copa America, have been knocked out.

USA is losing 2-1, Panama is tied with Costa Rica 1-1, and Honduras are winning against Mexico 3-2. The U.S. is 1 goal from being eliminated, but also one goal from punching their ticket.