Top 10 Modern QB's

Since 1980 when the rules begin to swing to the offensive side of the ball, who are the top 10 QB's.

You can put them in an order or not, but be prepared to defend bad choices :lol2:

In alphbetical order here are my Top 10 to start it off.

Brady

Brees

Elway

Farve

Manning

Marino

Montana

Rodgers

Young

Warner

Also considered

Jim Kelly, Tony Romo, Troy Aikman and Dan Fouts

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lets just change it to Who is better that Rodgers.

I can answer so it will be OK, NOBODY. He is the absolute greatest. He runs a 3.9, benches over 500, squats 1,000 and can throw 5 football at the same time.

It was a 3.975 and 525 pound bench. :)

The only name on the list I even close to have an issue with is Warner. He only played a full season 3 times (and 15 games one other time), and only had 3 (IMO) great seasons and only 3 other really good seasons. At first thought, I'd put Kelly on the list in his place, but while Kelly had good numbers, and was very consistent, numbers wise, he only had maybe one great season. He had a bunch of good years, but statistically he wasn't as good as I remembered. Statistically, Fouts probably belongs, but his lack of playoff success (and even appearances) makes it hard for me to elevate him to the list.

Two guys who are probably just outside the top 10, but deserve mention, are Donovan McNabb, and Randall Cunningham.

The only name on the list I even close to have an issue with is Warner. He only played a full season 3 times (and 15 games one other time), and only had 3 (IMO) great seasons and only 3 other really good seasons. At first thought, I'd put Kelly on the list in his place, but while Kelly had good numbers, and was very consistent, numbers wise, he only had maybe one great season. He had a bunch of good years, but statistically he wasn't as good as I remembered. Statistically, Fouts probably belongs, but his lack of playoff success (and even appearances) makes it hard for me to elevate him to the list.

Two guys who are probably just outside the top 10, but deserve mention, are Donovan McNabb, and Randall Cunningham.

Donavan McNabb was a product of Andy Reid.

The 2 most overrated QB's of all time: Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman. Not even close. Both were merely a product of the players around them. Put them on an average team and they are Andy Dalton.

Troy Aikman was closer to Carson Palmer than Dalton

Donavan McNabb was a product of Andy Reid.

To a certain extent, most QB's are linked very closely to their head coach. Marino and Shula, Favre/Holmgrem, Montana/Walsh. For the most part, all were in systems with players that allowed them to thrive, with great head coaches. Certainly not all of them, but most. In Mcnabbs defense, he never had a great receiver to throw to other than the couple years with TO. His next best receiver was probably a RB, Brian Westbrook. Don't get me wrong....I'm not making a case for him being a top 10 guy. But again, I think he deserves an honorable mention for having a very good, successful career, without a great surrounding cast, which by the way, was to a large degree, Andy Reid's fault, as he had a lot of control over the personnel.

Warren Moon over Kurt Warner

Both became NFL starters at the age of 28. Moon played 17 seasons (208 games) but really 15 as he only played 1 game in each of the last two seasons. Warner played 12 seasons (124 games) but really 11 as he only got in one game his first season. I loved Warren Moon when he was at Houston, he was a bad man...but I think Warner is better.

Playoffs

Moon 3-7 Warner 9-4

Career Passer Rating

Moon 80.9 Warner 93.7

Completion %

Moon 58.4 Warner 65.5

Total Yards

Moon 49,325 (237.14 per game) Warner 32,344 (260.84 per game)

Passing TD

Moon 291 (1.39 per game) Warner 208 (1.67 per game)

Rushing TD

Moon 22 Warner 3

First Team All Pro

Moon 2 Warner 2

Pro Bowl

Moon 9 (out of 15 years as a starter) Warner 4 (out of 8 years where he started at least half the games)

League MVP

Moon 0 Warner 2