Competitiveness within District Play

What % of districts have at least 2 teams that Challenge for the title?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What % of districts have at least 2 teams that Challenge for the title?

• Less than 25%
    • Less than 50%
    • Less than 75%
    • More than 75%

It seems as district play begins many of the games are blowouts and lack luster. I would venture to say nearly 50% of the districts throughout the state have a team that stands alone among its competition.

Do you think the 6 Class system has hurt the competition within district play or helped it?

Competition goes two ways, it's not always about how many teams can battle for #1 but also how many have a legit shot at #2.

If there is a powerhouse that is year in and year out going to win the district and the other three teams are horrible, then it helps no one. However if there is real competition between the other three teams for the #2 seed it's still good for football.

Competition goes two ways, it's not always about how many teams can battle for #1 but also how many have a legit shot at #2.

If there is a powerhouse that is year in and year out going to win the district and the other three teams are horrible, then it helps no one. However if there is real competition between the other three teams for the #2 seed it's still good for football.

Good point.

So would you say the 6 Class system has made this better, worse, or no change at all?

It seemed to me District play was more competitive across the board when there were nearly 8 teams per District with only 4 making the playoffs.

Good point.

So would you say the 6 Class system has made this better, worse, or no change at all?

It seemed to me District play was more competitive across the board when there were nearly 8 teams per District with only 4 making the playoffs.

Wasn’t Ashland the class of that district for years?

I would say success ebbs and flows.

The districts were definitely more competitive in the 4 class system. Almost anytime you take teams out of a selected group the competition within that group will decline. I do think however the smaller districts have made for a more enjoyable regular season. Teams are free to schedule a larger variety of opponents year in and year out.

You might get another competitive game or two. But you're going to be adding average and bad teams as well. And by forcing teams to play more bad district games, you're ability to play more competitive out of district games gets more limited. There aren't enough really good teams in KY. Reducing classes doesn't change that.

I'm not sure. In the last 8 years or so of the 4 Class system JC was bounced from 4A to 3A nearly ever alignment cycle. I think Lawrence Co. primarily handled that district in the old system but not positive.

I'm not sure. In the last 8 years or so of the 4 Class system JC was bounced from 4A to 3A nearly ever alignment cycle. I think Lawrence Co. primarily handled that district in the old system but not positive.

Kind of proves my point. Lawrence is not handling any district now.

Since the 2007 season, when the 6-class system appeared, Johnson Central has lost two district games. One in a 5A district in 2007 to Woodford County (Central did beat Ashland that season), and one in 2011 to Ashland. Otherwise, JC has won the district every year since 2007 (this season yet to be determined, obviously). The scores were more competitive in the 5A district with Woodford, Bryan Station, Ashland, Montgomery County than the current 4A district with Ashland, Greenup, East Carter, Boyd, and Rowan. So it had has occasional ripples, but per my research, since 2006, Ashland has won the district once (2011), Woodford once (2007), and every other season has been JC.

The districts were definitely more competitive in the 4 class system. Almost anytime you take teams out of a selected group the competition within that group will decline. I do think however the smaller districts have made for a more enjoyable regular season. Teams are free to schedule a larger variety of opponents year in and year out.

That is a two edged sword though. It may be easier for some, but for a lot of teams it isn't. Ask Johnson Central or Belfry how tough it is to find games. Part of their problem is geographical, but it is really tough to find games with good teams willing to do a home/home. Less district games magnifies the problem.

That is a two edged sword though. It may be easier for some, but for a lot of teams it isn't. Ask Johnson Central or Belfry how tough it is to find games. Part of their problem is geographical, but it is really tough to find games with good teams willing to do a home/home. Less district games magnifies the problem.

I agree with you on this. As a fan I enjoy the variety of out of district games but I’m sure the coaches hate having to find so many teams.

The only thing impacted by 6 classes is competitiveness in the second /third round of the playoffs. The teams that are in the top half now, would be in the top half in a 5 class or 4 class system. When those top half teams face each other in the playoffs is really all that is impacted by having 6 classes. Regular season district play in football is the same as it is in the other sports - a playoff seeding process.