3-way tiebreaker process

Jim Schue

Now that teams are getting into the meat of their district schedules, there will undoubtedly be some tiebreaker scenarios come up.

In Class 3A D3, it appears likely that Thomas Nelson, Henry Co. and Bardstown will end up in a 3-way tie for the #3 and #4 seeds (barring a major upset).

Central and Waggener appear to be the clear favorites for the top two seeds.

Here's how it shakes out:

• TNHS (2-5 overall, 1-1 dist.) — remaining games v. Central, Waggener and Bethlehem, all at home — wins over Nelson Co. (0-7) and Henry Co. (4-4)

• Bardstown (3-4 overall, 1-2 dist.) — remaining games v. Central, E'town and Warren East, all on the road — wins over TNHS (2-5), Nelson Co. (0-7) and Marion Co. (0-7)

• Henry Co. (4-4 overall, 1-2 dist.) — remaining games v. Waggener (away) and Moore (home) — Wins over B'town (3-4), Oldham Co. (3-4), Grant Co. (0-7) and Spencer Co. (2-6)

Someone who knows more about the procedure than me please help me out with a refresher on how it works. Do you get to count all of your wins toward this, or are your district wins excluded?

It will come down to a point system based off the non district wins each of them have.

You get a point for every win that said team(s) you defeated has (again; non district).

In this case Bardstown has 0 (due to Nelson and Marion being winless so far).

To make thinks even more complicated; Thomas Nelson also has 0 points due to Nelson County.

Henry County has 5 and is the current 3 seed right now.

If Bardstown and Thomas Nelson were to both stay at 0 points; then I BELIEVE the 4 seed would go to Bardstown due to them winning the head to head.

Take the four best teams they beat and go by the amount of wins that team has for the tie breaker scenario.

This.

And you can't count wins against other teams in the tiebreaker, but you can count wins against any other team, district or not. If there is a still a tie after counting four wins, you move to the fifth win for each team remaining.

Also, the points per wins designates the entire standings, not just two teams. So the team with the most accumulated amount of wins get the higher seed, next most the next seed, and so on.

It will come down to a point system based off the non district wins each of them have.

You get a point for every win that said team you defeated has.

In this case Bardstown has 0 (due to Nelson and Marion being winless so far).

To make thinks even more complicated; Thomas Nelson also has 0 points due to Nelson County.

Henry County has 5 and is the current 3 seed right now.

If Bardstown and Thomas Nelson were to both stay at 0 points; then I BELIEVE the 4 seed would go to Bardstown due to them winning the head to head.

That makes Thomas Nelson's regular-season finale v. Bethlehem absolutely critical for them. Bethlehem currently has two wins, and would appear to be a favorite over Campbellsville and Ft. Knox. My eyeball test tells me Bethlehem-TNHS will be a tight game, as has been the case in this series of late.

That makes Thomas Nelson's regular-season finale v. Bethlehem absolutely critical for them. Bethlehem currently has two wins, and would appear to be a favorite over Campbellsville and Ft. Knox. My eyeball test tells me Bethlehem-TNHS will be a tight game, as has been the case in this series of late.

No bigger fan of Bethlehem until that final game than Thomas Nelson right now. You said it.

The tiebreaker system isn't perfect, but it does lead to scoreboard watching late in the season. I know 3A-District 1 had a three-way tie last year and one team had to have winless Caverna get a win in the finale to make the postseason. It didn't happen and they stayed home. Adds some drama!

This is how Nicholas Co. WON their district last year after a 3-way tie with Brossart and Bracken Co. It really makes a tougher schedule worth it! Bethlehem was one of Nicholas County's wins last year to help seal the deal. Pretty cool that Bethlehem is in that role again this year!