Local Northern Kentucky Fall Fishing

Mustang

90% of my annual fishing is done in April when I spend three weeks at Pickwick Lake, Tennesse, and then wheel back for four weeks fishing the North Channel of Lake Huron in Canada from mid-May until Mid-June. I then put the poles away and participate in other pursuits, such as basketball camps and horse racing throughout the summer, until after Labor Day when we break out the fishing gear and embark on our once a week fall fishing tips here locally, which we continue to do until it becomes too cold to be enjoyable in November.

Our normal fall fishing area is out of Craig's Creek on the Ohio River, just above Markland Dam. Our first trip found the water conditions extremely murky, with visibility of about four inches, both in the creek itself and along the Ohio River. Three of us put in five hours with three dink largemouth to show for our efforts.

Our second trip was to A.J. Jolly Park for our annual confirmation that it is still the "Dead Sea" and that we don't have to fish there again for another year. Surprise, surprise, while largemouth fishing was really tough, as per normal, we did catch a couple of quality sauger (17 inches and 20 inches) along with several "cigars." The photo below is of my fishing partner Roger showing off the 20 incher, prior to throwing it back to fight again another day.

Fshg-17-AJJ-Roger20InchSauger-BGP.jpg

This past Wednesday we returned to Craig's Creek where certainly conditions would be markedly improved from our early September visit. Certainly it wasn't. Chalky, murky water again existed with limited visibility. The water temperature was 70 to 72 degrees, still a bit warm for this time of year. We did locate some "measurable" largemouth, and put four in the boat. We did no good at the mouth of the creek, where we had hoped that perhaps some white bass or hybrid stripers might have moved in, but nobody was home, and caught one tiny smallmouth in the main body of the river, where the water conditions are visible in the photo below. Perhaps we need some rain, and perhaps some cooler nighttime temperatures will get things moving in the right direction.

CraigsCreek-October4-17-OGF.jpg

We will stay with it and either re-visit A.J. again this week or perhaps put in a Schmidt Landing and fish the area between the Dayton Marina and the Beckjord Power Plant.

Better days have to be ahead, don't they???

Is there a horsepower limit???

10hp max but you can ideal your big motors on all of KY lakes with a 10hp max.

(Ex. Elmer, Kincaid, Bullock, Boltz, Cornith). By the way I fished a tournament at Boltz last month and weighed in 12lbs and had 1 at 4lbs & 1 at 3lbs. Good luck and tight lines.

10hp max but you can ideal your big motors on all of KY lakes with a 10hp max.

(Ex. Elmer, Kincaid, Bullock, Boltz, Cornith). By the way I fished a tournament at Boltz last month and weighed in 12lbs and had 1 at 4lbs & 1 at 3lbs. Good luck and tight lines.

Interesting! You'd think I'd have known that.

At one time, you were not even permitted to start your big motor to put the boat on the trailer at Kincaid. Glad to here that has changed.

Have you ever tried sauger/saugeye fishing at Meldahl Dam in Bracken County, @Mustang ? Really starts to pick up once things are regularly hanging below 65 degrees.

Back before they built the power plant, sauger fishing at Meldahl was a sickness for us. Nearly every night we would drive up to Meldahl and get there right about dark, when most of the others were coming up the hill, and fish around the first gate, catching 25 to 50 (probably more) and throwing them all back. Many a night we would knock the ice crystals out of the eyes of our rods.

I also fished the lock wall and rip-rap on the Kentucky side back before they closed the lock wall down to fishing.

Those were great times, but are probably long gone for me.

Edited by Mustang

You are welcome to hit up one of the ponds at the Compound anytime, @Mustang!

The horsepower limit is a paddle boat though!

I probably fished them as a kid.

I lived on Lees Road and rode my bike up Harrisburg Hill and fished at the pond below Masons house, and at the Dawson Farm up on the corner, as well as the one below the house that Roger/Janet Bezold used to live.

Farm pond fishing spots are far and few for me these days, so I may be up to give it a try.

I probably fished them as a kid.

I lived on Lees Road and rode my bike up Harrisburg Hill and fished at the pond below Masons house, and at the Dawson Farm up on the corner, as well as the one below the house that Roger/Janet Bezold used to live.

Farm pond fishing spots are far and few for me these days, so I may be up to give it a try.

I used to put that one to the test quite often after Sunday dinners.