Manual 14 St. Xavier 7 (Frosh)

thsrocks

I had to add an asterisk because as I was leaving Paul M Young Field, a respected member of the St. Xavier football community explained Manual sought and received permission to play "8 or 9" sophomores in today's contest. "The Crimsons would have cancelled" if these folks were not allowed to play. Manual did cancel the JV game scheduled for this past Monday.

Manual ran the ball on an early drive in first quarter to take a 6-0 lead. The score remained the same until a fourth quarter fumble by St. Xavier was returned 48 yards for a touchdown. The Crimsons two point pass play was successful and Manual held a 14-0 lead. The Tigers drove 70 yards with a deflected pass in the end zone caught by a Tiger resulting in their only touchdown of the game with 4 minutes remaining. The PAT kick was good and it was 14-7 Crimsons. St. Xavier kicked away and Manual punted the ball back to the Tigers with 2:30 left. The Tigers final drive ended at the Manual 27 with 1:08 to play. Manual stuffed a fourth and two carry up the middle. Three kneel downs and the game was over and the Crimsons celebration was on.

I'd like for a Manual staffer in the know to confirm if kids other than freshmen did participate. My information came second hand from the St. Xavier AD as he would have needed to grant permission for the sophomores to play.

Manual didn't play any sophomores. What X wanted to do was play 10 minute quarters instead of the 8 minute quarters that freshman normally play.

What you are saying is Jefferson County public schools prefer playing 8 minutes short? Grade school football plays 8 minute quarters. 32 minutes instead of 40 minutes? Why? Officials get paid the same.

I have confirmation no sophomores dressed for the Crimsons. The original quote is an example of an ill-informed statement from a veteran Tiger sideline guy. He used the St. Xavier Athletic Director's name in vain. Next time, I will do better getting to a more direct source. Great win for Manual.

I dont really care if they play 8, 10 or even 12 minute quarters. I believe the real reason that most JCPS schools prefer to play 8 minute quarters when playing the Trinity's and St. Xavier's, is because those schools roll out close to 100 kids on the field when most JCPS schools have 30 at most.

That being said, Manual has a very good freshman group. Four or five of them are seeing significant time on their varsity roster.

Manual has maybe 50 to 60 kids in their entire program this year. What are the overall numbers at Trinity or St. Xavier?

St. X freshman team is now 2-4. I am unsure why Manual could not field a freshman team in 2016. They have put together an excellent staff this season. Hopefully they can build on this year's talent and return to being contenders in their district.

My freshman year in 2001, we lost to Manual. Late in the game I believe it was tied on a 4th and long and Manual was punting. We roughed the kicker and then took the ball on a game winning drive. We also lost to Holy Cross to open our freshmen year that same season. The good news is we ended up winning the state championship our senior year, 2004.

There's a chance! :thumb:

My freshman year in 2001, we lost to Manual. Late in the game I believe it was tied on a 4th and long and Manual was punting. We roughed the kicker and then took the ball on a game winning drive. We also lost to Holy Cross to open our freshmen year that same season. The good news is we ended up winning the state championship our senior year, 2004.

There's a chance! :thumb:

Good points, hoping for that outcome.

FYI...Manual has 3 freshmen from Team KY that went to to National QF last year as well as Newburg's (won D1 MS Title) arguably best player. No shame in that L. Good squad. Probably give Wynton and T's Frosh a run for their money.

FYI...Manual has 3 freshmen from Team KY that went to to National QF last year as well as Newburg's (won D1 MS Title) arguably best player. No shame in that L. Good squad. Probably give Wynton and T's Frosh a run for their money.

The same T squad that just beat X 48-0? I don't see it but I guess it's possible.