Do college games take too long to play?

All Tell

I am a season ticket holder at PJCS for Louisville games and have been since Schnellenberger was on the on the sidelines at the Fairgrounds. Does it take "to long" to play a college game? Between what seem like constant media time outs that seem to last forever, and the delays in the flow of the game caused by the college replay rules, it just seems to me the games last to long. The UofL Murray game kicked off right at 3:30 last Saturday and I left the stadium at the end of the game at 6:40. I've been to NFL games with the same 15 minute quarters and they don't seem to take as long to play.

Without a doubt. It's way worse in person as well. You don't realize just how long those TV timeouts are at college games until you've been to both an NFL game and a college game and can compare. Its ridiculous how long you are basically left twiddling your thumbs without any action going on.

Also it is in vogue now to review for ball spotting. Where will it stop? Why do the reviews take so long? I think NFL games are actually shorter than college. If you want college the way it used to be, go to a D3 game. There is no flow to a televised D1 game. The D1 schools, the NCAA and the TV networks are playing the fans for suckers.

The college game does not even have a 2 minute warning! I agree with the continuing the clock after first downs. How about some form of running clock or review restrictions for games that are essentially decided, but not over?

I would make the point that I would like to see review of penalty calls added. Way too often, officiating decides games. They do this in the CFL. Simply access a time out if the challenge fails, so no impact on the duration of the game.

Also it is in vogue now to review for ball spotting. Where will it stop? Why do the reviews take so long? I think NFL games are actually shorter than college. If you want college the way it used to be, go to a D3 game. There is no flow to a televised D1 game. The D1 schools, the NCAA and the TV networks are playing the fans for suckers.

Anyone going to a major college game knows there will be commercial breaks and delays due to broadcasting. I don't understand the "Playing them for suckers" remark.

I'd rather games last 15 to 30 minutes longer than usual and still be able to watch nearly all major games on TV, than cut out the breaks and only see one televised game per week. Part of us enjoying the vast coverage of college football is that the broadcasters have to recoup what they are spending and they do that through ads.

I think the networks are milking every last cent they can from the telecasts for their bottom line. I feel that they could be profitable even if the number and length of commercials are reduced, thus shortening the games. Hasn't there already been a backlash about live attendance at games? At this stage of my life, I don't want to commit the time required to attend a UK or UL game live. If someone else wants to do it, fine, but not me. I think all the artificial stoppages have prostituted the game. If the system were truly amateur and not beholden to television, this would not be occurring.

The clock stopping on a first down needs to only happen in the last 3 minutes of the second and fourth quarters.

That still allows an exciting finish without timeouts but would allow the games to be completed in the 3:15 or 3:30 range.

I say inside of 2 minutes instead of 3. I do like the clock stopping on a first down because it has provided lots of drama late in games with teams getting that one last shot.