MLB= College Basketball

GrantNKY

If anyone has looked at the ratings last night you know that they were off the charts. People cared about the game last night. This has led me to draw the comparison of Major League Baseball to College Basketball. The following commentary is not going to go over well with the diehard College basketball fan and die hard Baseball fans. But just hear me out. The casual sports fan doesn't care about the regular season of either sport. Yes there are storylines that people pay attention to and the diehard fans watch. But whenever the postseason comes around and the games seem to matter again, people start to pay attention again. People nationally talk about it on the radio and on tv. But the comparisons don't just stop there. People come to the postseason in droves when the pillars of the sport are really good. The Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Cardinals = UK, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA. When these teams are good people care and are even more invested in the postseason. Now tell me why I'm wrong. Discuss.

I watched the Wild Card last night. I probably watch less than 15 Twins games per season these days.

I'm definitely a pretty passive baseball fan, though.

Those Wild Card games are nutty. Pitchers on a short leash, every run makes the crowd go crazy.

I watched the Wild Card last night. I probably watch less than 15 Twins games per season these days.

I'm definitely a pretty passive baseball fan, though.

Those Wild Card games are nutty. Pitchers on a short leash, every run makes the crowd go crazy.

I think the whole country is full of passive baseball and college basketball fans. Except in regions where you have one of the pillar teams/ programs.

Exactly.

I am decidedly NOT a passive college basketball fan. :lol2:

Obviously. We live in a hotbed for college basketball. I think you would have a hard time finding a passive baseball fan in Boston right now. These sports more than any other are very regional. College football used to be that way, but I think its much more national now.

I watch maybe 3 college basketball regular season games a year. I follow UK's record and keep tabs on the team, but rarely sit through a game. My favorite sporting event of the year is the college basketball tournament. I like doing the pools, following the cinderellas, and rooting on UK.

I watch probably 60-70% of the Reds games. If the Reds are not in the playoffs (too many times), I lose interest. I love the wildcard concept with one and done, but I did not get to watch last night. I will probably tune in for a game or two but I do not make my schedule around it.

I think this is true for all sports now days.

I don't watch much regular season baseball if the Reds aren't playing.

I don't watch much regular season college football if it's not Michigan or Kentucky.

I don't watch much regular season NFL if it's not the Patriots.

Only exception for me is college basketball and that's just because I'm a junkie. I will watch ANY college basketball game that I can find at any point of the season.

If anyone has looked at the ratings last night you know that they were off the charts. People cared about the game last night. This has led me to draw the comparison of Major League Baseball to College Basketball. The following commentary is not going to go over well with the diehard College basketball fan and die hard Baseball fans. But just hear me out. The casual sports fan doesn't care about the regular season of either sport. Yes there are storylines that people pay attention to and the diehard fans watch. But whenever the postseason comes around and the games seem to matter again, people start to pay attention again. People nationally talk about it on the radio and on tv. But the comparisons don't just stop there. People come to the postseason in droves when the pillars of the sport are really good. The Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Cardinals = UK, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA. When these teams are good people care and are even more invested in the postseason. Now tell me why I'm wrong. Discuss.

This has been pretty well known for a while. Outside of the traditional powers you list, the national following for baseball is next to none. College basketball is similar, but people care probably even less.