Blaine Gillim with Twins Scout Team/Scorpions

dlunsford1

Blaine Gillim is no doubt one of the most talented LHP in both KY and the nation. Gillim was well on his way in the summer of 2016 with the Scorpions under the tutelage of Brad Wilkerson and George Sandel.

His game had risen to an extremely high level, and he was simply destroying hitters with an explosive upper-80s fastball and above average curveball, and his stock was on the rise among the country's best D-1 college programs and MLB scouts.

Then, it snapped, and the young Gillim tore his UCL in Fort Myers in July 2016. Devastated, he stayed with his team...super talented Scorpions South 2017....until the end. Back home in Ohio County, KY he was blessed to contact Dr. Kremchek in Cincinnati to perform Tommy John surgery August 19, 2016. As on of the best UCL surgeons in the world, Gillim's surgery went great, and he was faced with the long, slow process of rehabilitation for 12-18 months.

Fast-forward to today...almost 14 months since the scalpel cut into the premier Lefty's elbow, and Gillim is back with a vengeance. During his rehab, Gillim did it all and returned to the mound on July 15, 2017 for Owensboro Post 9 American Legion. In 3 outings and 8 innings, "Big Game" Blaine Gillim struck out 17, 3BB, and two new pitches....sweeping slider on both planes, and a split/change in development. He was almost untouchable, but his velocity was still developing through rehab.

The kid grinded out rehab in Aug and Sept and returned to Fort Myers on Oct. 1, 2017 with the Scorpions. Facing the exact spot where he went to the ground in excruciating pain with a possible career-ending injury, Blaine Gillim made his intentions known as he pitched 3 innings, 5 Ks, 1BB against another talented Florida travel team. The math on Gillim is simple and remarkable....since injury, surgery, rehab, and return....11 innings, 22 Ks, 4 BB, and a velocity in the mid-80s with improved pitches, and movement. This kid has what it takes at the next levels....and that is obvious!!

So....what's next for this talented young man? He will pitch in the biggest and most select tournament in the world Oct 19-23 with the Twins Scout Team/Scorpions. He has been invited to the biggest and most prestigious Showcase Oct 28-29 with Perfect Game. Afterward, he will take time off from throwing and focus on his off-season strength/conditioning, and his senior year at Ohio County High School. Then it's onto the June 2018 MLB draft or college.

This kid's pitches are extremely difficult to pickup...and left hitters....forget it. By next Spring, his velocity should have fully returned and projects 90+. However, what makes this young man one of the best....he knows how to pitch and use his arsenal against hitters. He has a very high baseball IQ and it shows.

I sure wouldn't want to be in the box with him on the mound before or since his comeback. Check him out....PG WWBA World Championships in Jupiter, FL Oct 19-23.....Those hitters best bring their "A" game, because they will be facing "A+" pitching from Blaine Gillim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty impressive stats......but....Gilliam is a nice pitcher at best. I've seen him throw on numerous occasions and he has at best an above average fast ball for High School. Doubt seriously you'll see 90+. He's more of a consistent 84-85 pitcher with a good curve ball. He'll make a nice addition to a Mid level D1 (OVC) at best. I wish him nothing but the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Up to 88 at the World Championships in Jupiter. Pitched against Canes National and a team from Puerto Rico.

0 earned runs, 6Ks, 5 innings.

Aside from velocity, Blaine knows how to pitch. Aside from that, he is barely a year off of Tommy John. I guarantee he will be 90+ next spring. I don't expect him to sit at 90+ next spring. If you know anything about pitching or Tommy John for young pitchers, then you know that his numbers are absolutely excellent. I will let the results prove my point. Look forward to seeing you at the park....

What was the velocity in Jupiter? Up to 88....how many runs and hits did he allow? 0 runs, 2 hits. All Tournament.

At the PBR Showcase, he was taking it easy based on the conditions ......You might know that after TJ surgery....nevermind, you don't know.

His stats and success are proven....over and over. See ya at the yard.

Edited by dlunsford1
Spelling and gramnar

Haha. I can see that you haven't done your homework. Average fastball at the high school level for a left-hander? Impressive stats...you got that one correct. His stats are awesome...in spite of TJ (that's Tommy John in case you don't know---and I doubt you do). What's the average recovery time for TJ for a high school pitcher? I know, because Dr. Kremchek told me.

Nothing wrong with mid-major D-1....great schools....although you seem to snub them. Blaine is just a kid doing his best to play anywhere.

By the way, you say you have seen him pitch a few times? What were the results? Be as specific as you can.

Blaine's unbelievable success all over the country has mostly been while his elbow was injured....now that it's healthy, he hasn't been touched. That's after 14 months of healing and 3 months on the mound since surgery.

The next time you come to watch...do some research beforehand so that you can understand what you are seeing.

See ya at the yard....meat

you ok dlunsford1? Seem a little hostle.

I am never hostile, but I love a good debate about pitching. When it come to Blaine, there is no debate. Great kid who loves the game and is very talented with a bright future. Now that he is healthy, I'm certain of his outcome. Spring will be here soon, and I am looking forward to a trip back to Lexington.

Pretty impressive stats......but....Gilliam is a nice pitcher at best. I've seen him throw on numerous occasions and he has at best an above average fast ball for High School. Doubt seriously you'll see 90+. He's more of a consistent 84-85 pitcher with a good curve ball. He'll make a nice addition to a Mid level D1 (OVC) at best. I wish him nothing but the best.

Haha. I can see that you haven't done your homework. Average fastball at the high school level for a left-hander? Impressive stats...you got that one correct. His stats are awesome...in spite of TJ (that's Tommy John in case you don't know---and I doubt you do). What's the average recovery time for TJ for a high school pitcher? I know, because Dr. Kremchek told me.

Nothing wrong with mid-major D-1....great schools....although you seem to snub them. Blaine is just a kid doing his best to play anywhere.

By the way, you say you have seen him pitch a few times? What were the results? Be as specific as you can.

Blaine's unbelievable success all over the country has mostly been while his elbow was injured....now that it's healthy, he hasn't been touched. That's after 14 months of healing and 3 months on the mound since surgery.

The next time you come to watch...do some research beforehand so that you can understand what you are seeing.

See ya at the yard....meat

Your son has good numbers. One question....Why do you care so much about what others think of the schools you are thinking of? Was it Wagle3's comments that set you off?

Not my son, but at any rate, I enjoy the debate....especially from someone like Eagle3 who obviously needs a little education in baseball. I'm happy to give it....for free

Gilliam? It's Gillim. Done that average left-handed fastball research yet? Given your post, I'm gonna have to conclude that you have no idea what a good off-speed pitch even looks like. Describe one. Would you have any clue as to how to develop a pitch or what are the many grips that are possible for each pitch? Do you have any....any clue on when might be a good time to throw any pitch? What are the variables that need to be considered?

I didn't think so, but thanks for the easy win and uneducated opinion. It was fun for me in late November.

I saw where he was up to 84mph at the Top Prospect Showcase this past weekend.

Did you see that he was up to 88 on Oct 19 in Jupiter? Did you see the scout notes on him or watch him manhandle Canes National....one of the best in the country? PBR is great, but on that day, it was cold and indoors. With very little warmup time, it was decided to not go 100% and risk reinjury. Still on the comeback and not yet 100%....healthy but not 100%. It was just the situation....again, I think PBR is awesome, but they didn't see his best....and they knew that. We are hoping that he will be at 100% in Spring. I will take....up to 88 and dominant at 14 months after UCL surgery. At 20-24 months, it is believed by professionals that Blaine will actually be 100% without any restriction. This is what I know and see....kid carves up hitters and only a very few have gotten an extra base hit off him....ever. Hitters in the spring will get challenged on the inner-half with a steady diet of fastballs. We will see if they can pull the trigger fast enough to catch up. It a competitive game, and he loves to compete. I'm familiar with the few jealous doubters...always out there. Most often, they are your friends....but competing with and against them is the most fun of all.

Edited by dlunsford1
Can't spell...haha