Health Insurance Companies Stink

Voice of Reason

Can we do this without any political baloney? No R or D talk. This is strictly about health insurance companies and how we get our health insurance.

I cannot think of any service I have received over my lifetime that is worse than what health insurance companies deliver. They have always been terrible and they are still terrible today. They will fight every claim to try and wear you down so they don't have to pay it. The service they deliver if you ever have to call them is terrible. I pity people who have to deal with them more than I do. Fortunately I have always been healthy (knock on wood) and have not had to deal with them too much. Yet every time I deal with them the way they handle claims and service is irritating to say the least.

With all that, it puzzles me why people are against government provided health coverage. The government cannot do any worse delivering coverage and service. I don't hear people complaining about medicare like they complain about health insurance companies. Get rid of health insurance companies and we will save money and get equal or better service.

Rates have gone up tremendously my entire life and service has never been good. Do other people experience service as bad as I have? Does anyone like health insurance companies?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do stink and the biggest reason why is because there is almost no competition in the market for insurance. As far a government health insurance they run a couple of programs now, Medicare and the VA. You know anyone that's had great experiences with the VA as a whole? I have uncles that have VA and they have had near horror stories of long waits and denials of basic treatment over their years of needing it.

Got to agree they stink but thank God for them.

In 2003 I had a major heart attack and after a couple of days in intensive care the bill came to over $96,000.00 but I had between my wife family insurance policy and mine own family policy we were left with a bill totaling $125.00.

A couple of years ago I went to the emergency room, as I couldn't pee, yes it hurt like hell and I was told I had to have "TURP Surgery", three days later I was back in the emergency room with emergency surgery to remove my gall bladder. Thank God again for my insurance as between two to three weeks I had two major surgeries and 11 days in the hospital and while it cost a little more than before I was left with a bill under $1,000.00.

We are on medicare part b along with AARP RX and Media Care Complete now and indeed it is increasing again but....I figure I am ahead of the game, but then again "The Boss" other that having our daughter, has never even been to a Doctor.......

They do stink and the biggest reason why is because there is almost no competition in the market for insurance. As far a government health insurance they run a couple of programs now, Medicare and the VA. You know anyone that's had great experiences with the VA as a whole? I have uncles that have VA and they have had near horror stories of long waits and denials of basic treatment over their years of needing it.

Good point on the VA but that is more about health care provider issues than insurance.

Like other insurances you get what you pay for. I take the expensive plan at work and it has been fine.

I personally don’t want the government screwing up what I have. Their regulations are what makes it so crappy now.

Group insurance has always been better than individual. It covers more and has no or higher limits. It would really help people and small businesses to be able to group together as would insurance across state lines. Make the pools bigger. There should be no yearly "spend it or lose it" in health savings accounts. You should be able to build the moneys up until you need them.

I have been lucky with my health insurance. Haven't needed it much, but it was there when I did.

I can't think of one thing that the government runs efficiently.

I work in health care. Can't tell you how many VETS I have taken care of who do not want to go to the VA. If my government treats our veterans like that, I surely do not want them taking care of me.

I want the health care plan our Congress men and women and their families have. They are very good at looking out for themselves.

The Insurance Companies suck. They give you the third degree if you go to ER and not a Urgent Care place. It's about 700 for an ER visit and they treated us like crap when my kid was real sick and in desperate need and no urgent care around. But that's where the free health insurance people,go to and nothing said.

I don't know if my dad is lucky or what, but he has experienced none of these horror stories people speak of.

I got into a debate on this not to long ago on this site. All Insurance is terrible on time frame of recovery and they have a very large lobbyist base. It drives me crazy. But I prefer them over government. Not trying yo get political just a fact. I like my chances of winning over a private company as opposed to Uncle Sam.

I got into a debate on this not to long ago on this site. All Insurance is terrible on time frame of recovery and they have a very large lobbyist base. It drives me crazy. But I prefer them over government. Not trying yo get political just a fact. I like my chances of winning over a private company as opposed to Uncle Sam.

Bingo. Yahtzee.

I don't know if my dad is lucky or what, but he has experienced none of these horror stories people speak of.

I think a lot of it had to do with diagnosis and where you lived. Glad your dad didn't have the same issues my uncles in Indiana have had.

One in particular has waited months at a time for approval for treatment.

Bingo. Yahtzee.

That is what puzzles me. Medicare seems to run more smoothly than private insurance. We have a proof that the government plan is better than private. Yet people are anti the government plan.

Also, JumperDad mentioned earlier the lack of competition today being a problem. My counter to that is there was plenty of competition 10, 20, 30 years ago and private health insurance was bad back then. Plus rates continually skyrocketed when there was more private insurance competition so it didn't help on the cost side either.