NHL Season Opens October 4th

Run To State

NHL games/events of interest:

The NHL's 31st franchise, the Vegas Golden Knights, will play its first regular-season game on Friday, Oct. 6 against the Dallas Stars at American Airlines Center. The Golden Knights will play their first home game on Tuesday, Oct. 10 when they play host to the Arizona Coyotes at T-Mobile Arena.

The Colorado Avalanche and Ottawa Senators will face off in a pair of regular-season games in Stockholm, Sweden on Friday, Nov. 10 and Saturday, Nov. 11 at Ericsson Globe in the 2017 SAP NHL Global Series™, marking the sixth time the NHL has traveled to Europe to play regular-season games and the first such time since the 2011 Compuware NHL Premiere™.

On Saturday, Dec. 16, the 2017 Scotiabank NHL100 Classic™ will feature the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens outdoors at Lansdowne Park in Ottawa. The game will pay tribute to a century of NHL® contests, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the League's first games played on Dec. 19, 1917. The game falls within the League's year-long NHL® Centennial festivities, Canada's celebrations of 150 years of Confederation, and the 125th anniversary of the Stanley Cup®.

On New Year's Day, the 2018 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® will feature the Buffalo Sabres and New York Rangers outdoors at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets. This year's edition will mark the 10-year anniversary of the first NHL Winter Classic®, which continues the tradition the League established in 2008 of hosting a regular-season outdoor game at the onset of the new year.

The League's regular-season schedule will pause from Jan. 26-29 so the world's top players can gather in Tampa for the 2018 NHL All-Star weekend at Amalie Arena, which will include the NHL All-Star Skills Competition™ and the NHL All-Star Game. The 2018 NHL All-Star returns to a 3-on-3 tournament format after successful games in Nashville (2016) and Los Angeles (2017). Under the tournament rules, the NHL All-Star Game will be divided into three 20-minute games, with star players from each NHL division making up the four All-Star teams: Pacific, Central, Atlantic, and Metropolitan.

On Saturday, March 3, the Washington Capitals will play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs outdoors at the 2018 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series™ at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md. Over the next several years, the League plans to stage a series of outdoor games at the venues of the other respective U.S. Service Academies.

Great sport to watch in person, but costs too much. Lousy to watch on television.

I'll stick to football.:thumb:

I know you watch television on a vintage 1960 black and white Zenith that you picked up for 35 cents at a yard sale 20 years ago. I'm 20/500 in both eyes, practically coke bottle glasses. No way to see on that.

However, sitting across my computer room and watching hockey on a 41" Vizio at 720p, I can see the puck just fine. On the 4K TV in the living room, I can see it better than at the game.

I know you watch television on a vintage 1960 black and white Zenith that you picked up for 35 cents at a yard sale 20 years ago. I'm 20/500 in both eyes, practically coke bottle glasses. No way to see on that.

However, sitting across my computer room and watching hockey on a 41" Vizio at 720p, I can see the puck just fine. On the 4K TV in the living room, I can see it better than at the game.

My issue isn't that I can't see the puck.

It's that I can see the puck. TV coverage focuses on the puck to the detriment of all the other action on the ice.

$_32.JPG

And it grinds my gears that you have to take out a home equity loan to take a family to an NHL game. The NHL Center Ice package on DirecTV is a much better value. $154 for the entire season. This is the first year I've gone without the NFL Sunday Ticket and don't miss it a bit. I took that savings and splurged on the Center Ice package at a reduced cost and will get dozens of games a week. There's way more value in Center Ice versus Sunday Ticket.

My issue isn't that I can't see the puck.

It's that I can see the puck. TV coverage focuses on the puck to the detriment of all the other action on the ice.

$_32.JPG

In the past, before widescreen TV and HD I'd agree. Now, it's fantastic on TV! I agree it's still better in person just for the atmosphere and vibe.