39th District Hosting Solution

Today the athletic directors met for the 39th District Volleyball draw. They also voted on the following team host selections:

2018: Saint Patrick (Fieldhouse)

2019: Augusta

2020: Bracken County

2021: Mason County

Every year that team will be able to chose where they want to host district.

Last year there was a “vote” to have District at the Fieldhouse every year well that of course didn’t work. Chris O’Hearn being on the KHSAA Board of Directors was ‘oblivious’ to this rule apparently.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today the athletic directors met for the 39th District Volleyball draw. They also voted on the following team host selections:

2018: Saint Patrick (Fieldhouse)

2019: Augusta

2020: Bracken County

2021: Mason County

Every year that team will be able to chose where they want to host district.

Last year there was a “vote” to have District at the Fieldhouse every year well that of course didn’t work. Chris O’Hearn being on the KHSAA Board of Directors was ‘oblivious’ to this rule apparently.

This was for volleyball...Is that correct? Does it apply to all sports? I think if I were St. Pat I might consider having the Vball tournament at the downtown Maysville gym. It's literally right around the corner from their school. They could walk from their school to the gym.

Bracken County's arrogance/ego has made this much more difficult than it has to be. Obviously they aren't going to host the district at Augusta or St. Pat, so therefore you have the Fieldhouse and the Igloo left. Augusta and St. Pat want the have it at the Fieldhouse then so be it. Bracken can host once every 4 years. I highly doubt any other district in the state has this issue.

Bracken County's arrogance/ego has made this much more difficult than it has to be. Obviously they aren't going to host the district at Augusta or St. Pat, so therefore you have the Fieldhouse and the Igloo left. Augusta and St. Pat want the have it at the Fieldhouse then so be it. Bracken can host once every 4 years. I highly doubt any other district in the state has this issue.

That’s always been the rule to have each school pick where they want it. Augusta has always elected Bracken until now.

I am absolutely fine with having it every 4 years and it doesn’t bother me at all. But good luck to Augusta if they ever want to beat Mason County in District. Come on Augusta, would you rather play Mason at the Fieldhouse or at the Igloo? And you’re really gonna make your fan base drive 25 minutes rather than 10?

Augusta and St Pat are always welcome to play at the Igloo and their newly renovated floor and gym. But Bracken County will not play away at those places until volleyball, baseball, and softball are seeded.

That’s always been the rule to have each school pick where they want it. Augusta has always elected Bracken until now.

I am absolutely fine with having it every 4 years and it doesn’t bother me at all. But good luck to Augusta if they ever want to beat Mason County in District. Come on Augusta, would you rather play Mason at the Fieldhouse or at the Igloo? And you’re really gonna make your fan base drive 25 minutes rather than 10?

Augusta and St Pat are always welcome to play at the Igloo and their newly renovated floor and gym. But Bracken County will not play away at those places until volleyball, baseball, and softball are seeded.

Makes perfect sense to drive 25 minutes when you can actually grab a bite to eat after the game or go grocery shopping, etc. If I recall correctly the first time Augusta beat Mason County was in the Fieldhouse by a pretty big margin, it's not like it's impossible to beat them at there, especially now.

Bracken County can continue to protest the seeding all they want, but it's never going to happen and will only hurt them in the long run.

Here is the thing people don't realize about Bracken County in this matter, they firmly believe that seeding the district in all athletic events is what's best Bracken County athletes and the school district. They also have the facility to host and they are going to do it. The "vote" that was illegal was a power play that didn't work out and everything is right back to where it started, and Bracken County deserves credit for standing firm and doing what they believe is best for their kids.

Makes perfect sense to drive 25 minutes when you can actually grab a bite to eat after the game or go grocery shopping, etc. If I recall correctly the first time Augusta beat Mason County was in the Fieldhouse by a pretty big margin, it's not like it's impossible to beat them at there, especially now.

Bracken County can continue to protest the seeding all they want, but it's never going to happen and will only hurt them in the long run.

How is this hurting them in the "long run"?

If a school wants to host and has the facilities to do so, there shouldn't be a problem with them hosting.

How is this hurting them in the "long run"?

If a school wants to host and has the facilities to do so, there shouldn't be a problem with them hosting.

It’s hurting them because they are refusing to play home and home games with St. Pat and Augusta. Obviously the best situations for those two schools is to take their chances with the draw.

The hosting confusion came about when Augusta changed their vote to host at the Fieldhouse instead of the Igloo, which is fine. I think the Fieldhouse is the best and most convenient venue for players and spectators of all schools, I’m not saying Bracken doesn’t have the gym to support it’s just inconvenient and not needed when you have the 3rd largest gym in the state 20 minutes down the AA.

It’s hurting them because they are refusing to play home and home games with St. Pat and Augusta. Obviously the best situations for those two schools is to take their chances with the draw.

The hosting confusion came about when Augusta changed their vote to host at the Fieldhouse instead of the Igloo, which is fine. I think the Fieldhouse is the best and most convenient venue for players and spectators of all schools, I’m not saying Bracken doesn’t have the gym to support it’s just inconvenient and not needed when you have the 3rd largest gym in the state 20 minutes down the AA.

I don't understand your point as to how this is hurting Bracken County. I talked to the AD today and he said everything in the meeting went smoothly and Bracken County is not hurting at all. Financially, never been better. Athletically, our teams the past few and next few years seem to be competitive. So where are we hurting?

Since the 16-17 school year, every Bracken County team/sport has made it to the regional tournament, while every Augusta team has not made it passed the first round of district.

Bracken County was the only school in 16-17 to have every team make it region. So are they really hurting?

I don't understand your point as to how this is hurting Bracken County. I talked to the AD today and he said everything in the meeting went smoothly and Bracken County is not hurting at all. Financially, never been better. Athletically, our teams the past few and next few years seem to be competitive. So where are we hurting?

Since the 16-17 school year, every Bracken County team/sport has made it to the regional tournament, while every Augusta team has not made it passed the first round of district.

Bracken County was the only school in 16-17 to have every team make it region. So are they really hurting?

The point of my argument wasn’t financially, I honestly don’t care how the school stands from a financial standpoint. The point of my argument was that it hurts them from a public relationship stand point, they’re essentially ruining the rivalry with Augusta just because Augusta won’t do something that will hurt their athletics. You can’t expect them or St. Pat to do something that will hurt themselves. As far as I’m concerned the 39th with always be a blind draw and although I don’t think it’s the best option for the district or region as a whole, it is the best option for those two schools and for Robertson and Nicholas for that matter.

The point of my argument wasn’t financially, I honestly don’t care how the school stands from a financial standpoint. The point of my argument was that it hurts them from a public relationship stand point, they’re essentially ruining the rivalry with Augusta just because Augusta won’t do something that will hurt their athletics. You can’t expect them or St. Pat to do something that will hurt themselves. As far as I’m concerned the 39th with always be a blind draw and although I don’t think it’s the best option for the district or region as a whole, it is the best option for those two schools and for Robertson and Nicholas for that matter.

Bracken County ruining the rivalry? Augusta made the choice not play at Bracken. The OLDEST rivalry in the 10th Region that’s been going on for 100 years just doesn’t go away after 1 year of not playing each other. The rivalry is if anything bigger.

But if the Augusta/Bracken Rivalry ends so be it. The Bracken/Pendleton rivalry is on its way back and it’s a lot more fun because theses schools actually about more sports than boys basketball. A rivalry with Pendleton just makes kore sense. The sad thing is Augusta doesn’t have a strong rivalry other than Bracken so that’s their loss.

And obviously the draw hasn’t benefited Augusta in the 16-17 school year because they haven’t made it to the region at all. Seed or draw you still have to be able to beat your first round opponent in district which Augusta couldn’t manage to do.

I wish Robin Kelsch who I know loves that school more than anyone would realize that Bracken did this because they care more than just about boys basketball.

The original intent from Bracken was this. “We aren’t playing AT AUGUSTA until volleyball, baseball, and softball seeded”. Augusta chose not to play at Bracken, and declined an offer to have the regional tournament money split 4 ways each year. Basketball was left out and we don’t care if it’s seeded for right now. We just don’t want basketball holding the other sports (volleyball, baseball, softball) hostage because the bottom line is Bracken County puts time, effort, and money into and Augusta doesn’t.

All in all I support our AD and coaches 100% and think it is the best decision for Bracken County and the student-athletes.

We've been through all of this before.

Every school administration should do what they feel is in the best interest of their school. They have done so. Not just Bracken County, but the other schools as well.

The only place that Bracken County is hurting is in the court of public opinion. Because of the seeding/draw issue, they took their ball and went home. Which was perfectly within their rights.