ADIDAS...Done in college basketball?

Jumper_Dad

Does UofL cut ties with ADIDAS after this? Should they?

I'd think UA, Nike or Jordan brand would be more than happy to sign them, maybe not for the crazy money Adidas was paying but still a good payday I'm sure.

If I'm UofL and my corporate partner was part and parcel to this mess, I cut ties immediately with them.

How about Kansas, do they want to be associated with Adidas after this?

I think this could really set Adidas back as far as the college market goes...heck could the NCAA actually keep teams from working with them for a set period of time? Putting a show cause on Adidas for two or three seasons.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea that people think Nike will be squeaky clean after all this is done.

Who's said that? I think they are all somewhat dirty, maybe not like this but still shady.

It's reported that the reason the money got as high as $100K was because another company was bidding for Bowen against Adidas. Nike? UA? Jordan? BigBallerBrand? it was someone, unless the family just said that to get more $$$.

I always found the O.J. Mayo journey with Adidas to be red flagged. Multiple high schools including North College Hill and Huntington Prep. Sonny Vaccaro by his side since 7th grade, eventually signs with SC.

Another case is Shabazz Muhammad, Adidas signed his sister (150 in the world tennis player), to a lucrative tennis endorsement that a top 5 player would receive. He ends up at UCLA which was an Adidas school.

I love the idea that people think Nike will be squeaky clean after all this is done.

Personally I don't think any of them are clean and I wish there was a way to eliminate them from amateur sports all together. Shoe companies are playing with high school kids lives by trying to influence them where to attend college, just so they can get that shoe contract at a later date. Eliminating the shoe companies from AAU or even State sanctioned High School ball would nearly be impossible though, due to the financial aspect of it alone. Which in turn is why the shoe companies attempt to decide where kids attend college at.

Personally I don't think any of them are clean and I wish there was a way to eliminate them from amateur sports all together. Shoe companies are playing with high school kids lives by trying to influence them where to attend college, just so they can get that shoe contract at a later date. Eliminating the shoe companies from AAU or even State sanctioned High School ball would nearly be impossible though, due to the financial aspect of it alone. Which in turn is why the shoe companies attempt to decide where kids attend college at.

Mayo made his way to several different High Schools, but Huntington Prep wasn't one of them. He played at Huntington High School, a public school in Huntington. Huntington Prep wasn't even around when OJ was in High School.

Thanks for the clarification JD!

Hah I quoted the wrong post but you caught it anyway. Huntington Prep is a different animal than HHS though. Huntington Prep pulls athletes from all over the World, HHS is just an inner city High School. There is a lot of athletic talent in the city of Huntington though, an absurd amount to be honest when you factor in the size of the city, which is likely part of the reason OJ went back home and played for the public school.

If Bill Self has connections with the Nike family like mentioned in the other post, this gives KU a reason to drop Adidas and join them or Jordan Brand. Also, if the new president at UofL wants to clean house and start the program fresh he’ll probably considering dropping Adidas as well.

The other high profile Adidas schools like Texas A&M, Mississippi St, Indiana, Miami, NC State, and Nebraska will probably keep their relationship with Adidas.