How would you handle the protests?

ManOfTroy

There are players on every team now who are going to want to protest. If you were an owner or coaching staff, how would you handle it?

Some have stated strongly that they are in favor of standing. I like what the Bengals did by standing together. I like what the Steelers did. They decided that they could not be 100% on either side, so they stayed in the locker room. When Villanueva decided that he HAD to stand for it, the team had so much respect for him and what he's done that they let him go and do it. I don't even mind the ones who do not stand because it is their right, however, I think it looks really bad to be sitting on the bench. At the least, line up on the sideline with everyone and take a knee there.

What do you think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Tomlin was looking for “100% participation.” He is not happy about what Alejandro did.

Tomlin now has a national story and probably a divided locker room. Plans don’t always go accordingly and he’s learning that the hard way.

Why would he not be happy? Alejandro is doing the same as everyone else.

^^^ I understand, but that would be my question. Alejandro is expressing his beliefs just like the rest of the team that stood in the tunnel. Tomlin can't pick and choose. I might actually argue that they were in 100% participation of expressing your belief or stance the way you would like to.

I posted this in the previous thread and will post again:

I have no problem with the players taking a knee. If I were the owner, however, I'd ask the players who take a knee to perform some type of community service (many already do) that would help better relations between minority groups and the police. Not only would I ask players to do so but I'd also be present and an active participant in the discussion/work.

Steelers have specifically said that everyone accepted the fact that whatever decision was made that Vllanueva was exempt from it.

JMO, but I think you guys are trying to make an issue out of something that just isn't there.

That was my understanding as well. There's so much respect for him. I don't think there is an issue for Tomlin.

^ Tomlin was looking for “100% participation.” He is not happy about what Alejandro did.

Tomlin now has a national story and probably a divided locker room. Plans don’t always go accordingly and he’s learning that the hard way.

The way the media has reported it has made it a story. I think there is an understanding with the Steelers and everyone was on board.

Show me the quote where Tomlin was upset with what he did.

Speaking after his team's 23-17 loss to the Bears, Tomlin appeared to take a swipe at the Bronze Star recipient's decision.

“Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team,” Tomlin said

Speaking after his team's 23-17 loss to the Bears, Tomlin appeared to take a swipe at the Bronze Star recipient's decision.

“Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team,” Tomlin said

All in how you interpret that. I took it as they were looking to have 100% participation in whatever they chose to do, whether that be stand, lock arms, kneel, sit, etc. They couldn't come to agreement on what it would be so he kept them in the locker room to keep from some players doing one thing and others doing another and to keep from some players having to do something they weren't comfortable with.

I think it's quite a leap to try and link that comment with Villanueva. JMO.

Show me the quote where Tomlin was upset with what he did.

Watch/Listen to his post game interview where he accidentally spits because he’s so angry about the situation as a whole. Are you going to ignore the fact that he is quoted saying “expected 100% participation?”

The reason he said that is because he didn’t get 100% participation. Not sure any other way to dissect it...