Drinking at Athletic Events

Guest chartman@covcath.org

Guest chartman@covcath.org

Enough is enough and something must be said. I have taken in many athletic events over the last 50 some years. I have seen my son play and my grandchildren take the field. In the last few years I have seen more and more parents and fans bring alcahol to the games. Now my dad was known to drink a pint or so but never at one of my games. This must stop!! What are we teaching our children? What should be done to correct this problem or do you think this is not a problem?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enough is enough and something must be said. I have taken in many athletic events over the last 50 some years. I have seen my son play and my grandchildren take the field. In the last few years I have seen more and more parents and fans bring alcahol to the games. Now my dad was known to drink a pint or so but never at one of my games. This must stop!! What are we teaching our children? What should be done to correct this problem or do you think this is not a problem?

Highschool games or youth games?

I'm with you. I don't think alcohol belongs at youth events, including high school. It's becoming more and more common. I've seen parents sneak it into games before. The best, or worst, was a mom carrying a toolbox saying she was with the football team, but it was full of beer. If you can't refrain from drinking for an hour or 2 to watch your child play a game, then you have a problem.

I don't think you should smoke at these games either.

The sad thing is, tobacco is prohibited at many of these events, or restricted to the parking lots, while drinking beer is OK.

I attended the Tiger Bowl these past couple weeks, which is a really cool event for 6 and 7 year old football teams. The event is really well run, but they sell beer at the concession stand. I couldn't believe the number of people walking around drinking beer while there little kid was playing.

The sad thing is, tobacco is prohibited at many of these events, or restricted to the parking lots, while drinking beer is OK.

I attended the Tiger Bowl these past couple weeks, which is a really cool event for 6 and 7 year old football teams. The event is really well run, but they sell beer at the concession stand. I couldn't believe the number of people walking around drinking beer while there little kid was playing.

Where is that at?

I'm pretty sure - but could be wrong - they don't actually sell it at the concession stand...they sell it in the bar inside the Bellevue Vets, which the field for the Tiger Bowl sits directly behind. Fans can purchase in the bar and bring it out, but only to the concession/patio area, which is about 40-50 yards away from the field.

I've been coaching, watching, and supporting the Tiger Bowl for years and have never seen that be the cause of any incidents. The folks at the Vets and with BYF do a very good job making sure the policies are enforced.

I'm pretty sure - but could be wrong - they don't actually sell it at the concession stand...they sell it in the bar inside the Bellevue Vets, which the field for the Tiger Bowl sits directly behind. Fans can purchase in the bar and bring it out, but only to the concession/patio area, which is about 40-50 yards away from the field.

I've been coaching, watching, and supporting the Tiger Bowl for years and have never seen that be the cause of any incidents. The folks at the Vets and with BYF do a very good job making sure the policies are enforced.

It's sold right on the patio next to the concession stand. They had both cans and draft beer available and people were standing around the field with it.

There were no incidents while I was there. It's just my opinion that alcohol shouldn't be available at youth events.

It's sold right on the patio next to the concession stand. They had both cans and draft beer available and people were standing around the field with it.

There were no incidents while I was there. It's just my opinion that alcohol shouldn't be available at youth events.

OK, wow, so that's both dangerous and foolish. The Tiger Bowl is an AMAZING events that any NKY football fan should check out, but anytime you involve sporting events/young kids/newer parents to competitive sports/football, emotions can be alarmingly high. Mixing that with alcohol....yikes.

I've seen some near riots down there...add alcohol on the sidelines and being sold right by the field. Horrible mix.