New Rules for 2017-2018

Referees will be able to call common fouls, flagrant fouls, and even technical fouls for "reckless closeouts" this season (the "Zaza Pachulia rule"). Also, thankfully, they will reduce the number of ridiculous fouls on perimeter shooters by making it so that the shooter must be in the "shooting motion" when contact is made for it to be a shooting foul (the "James Hardin rule"). These both make sense to me. Your thoughts?

I hate the continuation foul calls, I'm glad that should get stopped now. I'd like to see a definition of reckless closeout before I weigh in on that portion of the changes.

Continuation in the NBA is two steps after contact instead of one like college, so I don't think they addressed that. This addresses creating contact in an unnatural way.

They already had a rule about not being in the shooter's landing zone. Under the new rule, they will be able to go to replay to determine "if the defender recklessly positioned his foot in an unnatural way, which could trigger an upgrade to a flagrant, or a technical if there was no contact but an apparent attempt to injure."

Continuation in the NBA is two steps after contact instead of one like college, so I don't think they addressed that. This addresses creating contact in an unnatural way.

They already had a rule about not being in the shooter's landing zone. Under the new rule, they will be able to go to replay to determine "if the defender recklessly positioned his foot in an unnatural way, which could trigger an upgrade to a flagrant, or a technical if there was no contact but an apparent attempt to injure."

Bad terminology on my part...what it looks like is that if a player is fouled and not in a shooting motion they can't then, just throw the ball up and get a shooting foul. I hate when a whistle blows and a guy just slings the ball up and gets two or three free throws.

Bad terminology on my part...what it looks like is that if a player is fouled and not in a shooting motion they can't then, just throw the ball up and get a shooting foul. I hate when a whistle blows and a guy just slings the ball up and gets two or three free throws.

We are in total agreement. It was ridiculous last year.