Problem at the Reds game Saturday

PP1

So as I'm walking out of the stadium to show my son the statues, I notice some street preachers yelling into a microphone near Tony Perez's statue. They are holding a sign saying that "God hates liars, fornicators, homosexuals, divorce, idolators, drunkards.... etc" then at the bottom they listed the term "catholics." What they are doing is quoting two separate verses in the Bible, but the word "Catholic" is not included in any of them.

I support the right to speech and have often said that people in this country have the right to believe whatever they want; that it is that fundamental right that allows me to believe and practice what I want. But when people do stuff like this I think it makes the church look bad and makes what I stand for seem stupid and hateful.

Thankfully my son was with me or I would have engaged in a theological showdown of epic proportion.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as I'm walking out of the stadium to show my son the statues, I notice some street preachers yelling into a microphone near Tony Perez's statue. They are holding a sign saying that "God hates liars, fornicators, homosexuals, divorce, idolators, drunkards.... etc" then at the bottom they listed the term "catholics." What they are doing is quoting two separate verses in the Bible, but the word "Catholic" is not included in any of them.

I support the right to speech and have often said that people in this country have the right to believe whatever they want; that it is that fundamental right that allows me to believe and practice what I want. But when people do stuff like this I think it makes the church look bad and makes what I stand for seem stupid and hateful.

Thankfully my son was with me or I would have engaged in a theological showdown of epic proportion.

There were some as well making their way through the super packed crowd at Octoberfest on Saturday afternoon with some seriously huge signs...I wonder if they were the same ones? I don't recall exactly what their signs said, but if I remember correctly, they perhaps were dark blue in color.

I always sorta wonder if what motivates them to go into large crowds, and especially one that is heavily drinking, is true concern for peoples' souls, or a desperate need for attention that is mostly served back to them with either being completely ignored, or ridiculed and told to shut up and go away?

I suppose they're thinking that if they save one soul then their work is done, but Wow, I highly doubt that hardly any festive people out enjoying a beer and music with friends on a beautiful sunny afternoon are going to have an "Ah Ha" moment, and say to themselves "What was I thinking...Those guys are right, I'm a despicable deplorable sinner, and it's high time that I change my ways". :rolleyes:

There were some as well making their way through the super packed crowd at Octoberfest on Saturday afternoon with some seriously huge signs...I wonder if they were the same ones? I don't recall exactly what their signs said, but if I remember correctly, they perhaps were dark blue in color.

Street Preachers vs B-Ball Fan in a war of words and I'm taking B-Ball Fan all day and twice on Sunday. :banana:

Street Preachers vs B-Ball Fan in a war of words and I'm taking B-Ball Fan all day and twice on Sunday. :banana:

Ha Ha..thanks for your vote of confidence. :lol2:

While I do ponder how I might chat with them if I actually did, I typically think that it's just best that I don't go that rabbit hole with them.

If I were to, I honestly would approach it peacefully, but the second anyone starts shouting, or repeating Bible verses in my face with zero intent to have a rational conversation, then I'm out of there.

I have no concrete ultimate truth to offer them, and from where I sit, neither they to me, though they might be convinced that they do, however sharing perspectives can be enlightening if both parties agree to do it respectively.

I have seen them at Pride Festivals, and if I hadn't already been with friends, I might've considered sitting down and having a rational discussion with any one of them that was willing to.

At a Pride Fest their main reason for being there is the gay topic, so anyone who has heard me here know that I've got a mountain of points for them to ponder that just maybe they never have pondered before.

I realize that chances would be slim that either way we'd move the needle with each other very much, but I'd be open to hear what they've got to say, and hopefully they'd hear me out as well, and that all said and done we'd walk away having respect for one another.

I always sorta wonder if what motivates them to go into large crowds, and especially one that is heavily drinking, is true concern for peoples' souls, or a desperate need for attention that is mostly served back to them with either being completely ignored, or ridiculed and told to shut up and go away?

I suppose they're thinking that if they save one soul then their work is done, but Wow, I highly doubt that hardly any festive people out enjoying a beer and music with friends on a beautiful sunny afternoon are going to have an "Ah Ha" moment, and say to themselves "What was I thinking...Those guys are right, I'm a despicable deplorable sinner, and it's high time that I change my ways". :rolleyes:

Helps certain people who need affirmation of the false concept that "Christians are persecuted in America."

I saw something about the Westboro Baptist Church coming to town to protest the ABC convention at the Duke Energy Center. Is this a spillover of that? I saw them at the game on Thursday and thought they were WBC.

I posted this video in the Ted Talk thread, but I thought that others reading this thread also might find it interesting.

It's a Ted Talk from a woman who grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church and finally left.

I saw something about the Westboro Baptist Church coming to town to protest the ABC convention at the Duke Energy Center. Is this a spillover of that? I saw them at the game on Thursday and thought they were WBC.

I feel like these jokers always show up at things like Taste of Cincinnati & Oktoberfest, Opening Day, and big Bengals games. I'm not sure they are WBC, but could be I guess.