Cincinnati Reds Off Season 2017-2018

I know it's a little early to start talking about the off season but what else is there to talk about with the Reds? Therefore I will get the thread started maybe a little early. The Reds are committed to a salary of $64,339,000 with current contracts. This is owed to a total of 4 players; Votto, $25m, Bailey, $21m, Meso, $13.125m and Iglesias, $5,214m. Brandon Phillips $13m comes off the books after this season and Cozart, Storen and Feldman are FAs. Here is a rundown on the other everyday players.

Hamilton A2 - $2,625,000 (Probably gets some kind of raise)

Gennett A2 - $2,525,000 (A good presence in the locker room but the Reds may look to trade Scooter to make room on the infield)

Suarez A1 - $595,000 (Will be due a hefty raise and the Reds should look to lock him up soon imo)

Barnhart A1 - $575,000 (Due a raise and may be the Reds #1 signal caller for a few years)

Duvall - $577,500 (Not even arb eligible yet and probably has good value in trade)

Peraza - $540,000 (Not arb eligible yet and the school is still out on Peraza's ability to hit at this level but has looked better the 2nd half)

Schebler - $540,000 (Not arb eligible yet, runs hot and cold but maybe deserves a chance to play a full season which could happen if they trade Duvall)

Disco is A1 at $585,000 but with his injury doesn't stand to get much of a bump if any.

Lorenzen is A1 at $555,000 but I am torn on his value as he is also hot and cold.

All the rest of the roster is on rookie contracts and not eligible for arbitration anytime soon.

Imo the Reds need to look for a suitor to take Meso and his $13.125m contract or at least part of it and move on at the position. If they can get rid of his contract maybe they can look at FA pitching if there is any available. I think they have some flexibility with the roster and there are some guys in the minors that will be ready to help in 2018. What are your thoughts on what they can or should do?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone take Meso? He hasn't played in forever.

Will be interesting off season though. If they sign Cozart, are they trading Suarez or Senzel? Or moving Suarez back to short and letting Cozart go? I didn't like Peraza at short from what I saw.

In OF, going with Billy one more year? If so, platoon with Duvall, Scheb and Wink? Price said he doesn't want a station to station guy at leadoff.

If I'm in charge, I let Cozart walk. No way I risk the qualifying offer to him and him accepting earning $18+M next season.

I try as hard as I possibly can to move both Mesoraco and Homer. I wouldn't even look for much in return, other than salary relief.

I then try to move at least one (preferably both) of the Duvall/Schebler combo. I think both have average value.

I try hard to lock up Suarez to a long term deal, with the assumption that he's moving back to SS.

I start out my 2018 season with a lineup of:

1. Hamilton CF

2. Winker LF

3. Votto 1B

4. Suarez SS

5. Gennett 2B

6. Duvall/Schebler/Ervin RF

7. Senzel 3B

8. Barnhart C

and a rotation of:

1. DeSclafani

2. Castillo

3. Romano

4. Stephenson

5. Mahle/Garrett

Move Finnegan to the bullpen. Have a pen of Finnegan, Reed, Lorenzen, Stephens, Iglesias and a couple other pieces either from within (Herget? Hernandez?) or a mid-level $ FA pickup or two.

If I'm in charge, I let Cozart walk. No way I risk the qualifying offer to him and him accepting earning $18+M next season.

I try as hard as I possibly can to move both Mesoraco and Homer. I wouldn't even look for much in return, other than salary relief.

I then try to move at least one (preferably both) of the Duvall/Schebler combo. I think both have average value.

I try hard to lock up Suarez to a long term deal, with the assumption that he's moving back to SS.

1. Hamilton CF

2. Winker LF

3. Votto 1B

4. Suarez SS

5. Gennett 2B

7. Senzel 3B

8. Barnhart C

and a rotation of:

1. DeSclafani

2. Castillo

3. Romano

4. Stephenson

5. Mahle/Garrett

Move Finnegan to the bullpen. Have a pen of Finnegan, Reed, Lorenzen, Stephens, Iglesias and a couple other pieces either from within (Herget? Hernandez?) or a mid-level $ FA pickup or two.

Peralta will be be somewhere.

1. Hamilton CF

2. Winker LF

3. Votto 1B

4. Suarez SS

5. Gennett 2B

7. Senzel 3B

8. Barnhart C

and a rotation of:

1. DeSclafani

2. Castillo

3. Romano

4. Stephenson

5. Mahle/Garrett

Do you really think that Cozart will demand $18m per in the offseason based on just this one good year and 32 years of age? What are you basing this on? I am just asking because I really don't have any idea what his value is given he has had a career year with .302 22 HRs and 60 RBIs and .391 obp and a WAR of 4.9. His career average is .254 18 HRs and 61 RBIs and .305 obp. Do you think that if he was just in arb instead of free agency that he would get that big a bump from $5.325m? Once again just asking as there didn't seem to be a lot of interest at the trade deadline and I can't see someone offering him 3 years and $54m.

Do you really think that Cozart will demand $18m per in the offseason based on just this one good year and 32 years of age? What are you basing this on? I am just asking because I really don't have any idea what his value is given he has had a career year with .302 22 HRs and 60 RBIs and .391 obp and a WAR of 4.9. His career average is .254 18 HRs and 61 RBIs and .305 obp. Do you think that if he was just in arb instead of free agency that he would get that big a bump from $5.325m? Once again just asking as there didn't seem to be a lot of interest at the trade deadline and I can't see someone offering him 3 years and $54m.

That's the qualifying offer ($18.2M) they have to make him in order to get a draft pick if he elects Free Agency. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to trying to sign him to a longer deal, but you have to pick one between him and Suarez to extend IMO. I'm simply picking Suarez.

That's the qualifying offer ($18.2M) they have to make him in order to get a draft pick if he elects Free Agency. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to trying to sign him to a longer deal, but you have to pick one between him and Suarez to extend IMO. I'm simply picking Suarez.

Thanks while I still don't totally understand how the QO was arrived at after doing some research I better understand what the Reds are faced with here. JJ Hardy signed a 3 yr $40m offer a few years ago at the same age. Would you have a problem with the Reds offering something similar and do you think Cozart would go for something along those lines? I do agree that they have young players that they need to prepare for and make decisions on but I think ball clubs need to have good leaders within the clubhouse and what we see on the exterior leads me to believe that he is that. What is that worth on the bottom line? It seems that Votto and Cozart have become very close and what impact would letting Cozart go have on Joey? Bottom line is the Reds have some decisions to make and I guess it comes down to whether they want to part with a little extra money. Given that, I don't see them trying to pursue free agent pitching, which I don't think they can afford. I think I would make him a 3 year offer and see if he would take it.

They can improve their record next year if at least 2 of 3, Desclafani, Finnegan and Bailey can stay healthy and they can get 2 or 3 more of the young guys, Castillo, Romano, Stephenson, Mahle to continue on their progress. There are other youngsters that can help immediately in the bullpen like Garrett and Reed especially given that they are lefties. The Reds may decide that they still want to look at them as possible starters down the road though and keep them at AAA. Lots of decisions for sure.

I wouldn't be upset if the Reds extended a qualifying offer to Cozart for $18 million. That's overpaying him, but I'd rather pay him $18 million for 1 season than $40+ million for 3. If the Reds are out of it in July 2018, deal Cozart and promote Senzel. Only problem is I'm not sure if Suarez or Peraza moves to SS.

I wouldn't be upset if the Reds extended a qualifying offer to Cozart for $18 million. That's overpaying him, but I'd rather pay him $18 million for 1 season than $40+ million for 3. If the Reds are out of it in July 2018, deal Cozart and promote Senzel. Only problem is I'm not sure if Suarez or Peraza moves to SS.

Why pay him anything?