Pet Peeve: Guys: Hand the ball to the ref!

thsrocks

A player makes a nice interception. I understand he is excited. He and his teammates are reminded repeatedly during practice to hand the ball to the referee. After the interception, while his teammates are congratulating him, he tosses the ball up in the air a good ten feet and it falls harmlessly to the ground. The referee standing near him throws the flag. Now his offense is fifteen yards further back.

Take the guesswork out of the equation. After a score or after a great play, simply hand the ball to he nearest official. No way you are it with a penalty.

I get it. But we expect kids to play with emotion and excitement. Yet we penalize them when they show emotion. I understand we can't have all out celebrations after every play, and taunting and excessive stuff certainly shouldn't be acceptable. But we talk so much about how football (and all sports) are supposed to be fun, and then turn around and try to take fun out of the game.

Sat through a spring of watching a local college work on a tempo offense where the ball was supposed to sprint back to the official for ready to play and it happened far too infrequently for the coach. When someone didn't comply, the whole team would bear crawl down and back.

Act like you've been there before ... players that do that are ME players ... Its not about YOU .... love a nice TEAM celebration if did in a classy way ...

Again, football is an emotional game. People express emotions, joy and excitement in many different ways. While football is certainly a team game, it's a team game made up of individual efforts. If one of my players does something great, I expect them to be excited and really don't have any issues as long as that expression doesn't involve taunting, or inappropriate language, actions or behavior. I hate seeing kids being forced to act like emotionless robots.

I constantly hear the phrase "act like you've been there before". For some high school kids, they may not have been there before. And for many, they may never be there again. Let 'em celebrate a little.