Are the Reds planning to try Iglesias in the starting rotation next spring?

Am I reading too much in this Bryan Price use of Eglesias for multiple innings here in September. Do you think he is trying to stretch him out and get his innings near 100 for the season so that they can look to maybe make him a starter next year. Imo if you are going to pay a pitcher what they are paying him, signed through 2020 at $5.7m per, why have him at the end if he is your best pitcher when you are looking at winning 70-80 games a year over that period? I know they tried him as a starter early on and he had some shoulder issues but should they attempt it again? I think so.

Personally, I think they'd be foolish to do that. Barring a trade/injury, I think you've already got these guys either already guaranteed or fighting for, a starting spot...

Homer

Disco

Romano

Castillo

Stephenson

Mahle

Finnegan

Garrett

Davis

So, why would you weaken the back end of your bullpen, just to try to add another guy into the mix?

He's the best choice for a save in the 8th and 9th inning compared to the others in that bullpen. If he is to be a closer though, I'd think the Redlegs want to limit the two inning stints, however the setup guys haven't done real well as a whole.

Edited by OlDog75

Personally, I think they'd be foolish to do that. Barring a trade/injury, I think you've already got these guys either already guaranteed or fighting for, a starting spot...

Homer

Disco

Romano

Castillo

Stephenson

Mahle

Finnegan

Garrett

Davis

So, why would you weaken the back end of your bullpen, just to try to add another guy into the mix?

If you win 70-80 games why do you need a high priced back end guy?

He's the best choice for a save in the 8th and 9th inning compared to the others in that bullpen. If he is to be a closer though, I'd think the Redlegs want to limit the two inning stints, however the setup guys haven't done real well as a whole.

He might also be your best bet to win 20 games if he could be a starter.

His shoulder has been an issue both seasons he tried to be a starter. He hasn't help up to that type of workload multiple times. It doesn't seem like that is something they will be tinkering with.

He's never been able to throw over 100 innings in a season before so the thought of him winning 20 games at this point is a pipe dream at best.

There are 6 guys with more saves than him in the NL right now. Here's what they're either getting paid this year or next year.

Holland $15M (2018)

Jansen $10.8M (2018)

Rodney $2.75M (2017)

Knebel $539K (2017)

Davis $10M (2017)

Ramos $6.5M (2017)

So having Raisel at under 6 for each of the next 3 years sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Besides, if he's not there, who are you planning to be back there? We just went through a recent season with the likes of JJ Hoover, Jumbo Diaz, Tony Cingrani, Blake Wood and Russ Ohlendorf on the back end. That was nothing to aspire to.

Wait wait wait.... so it was ok and fine to be all mad as a wet hen because the Reds wouldnt make Chapman a starter, but with Iggy its no no no dont touch him we need a closer?

Not the same situation.

Iglesias wasn't a starter in Cuba. The Reds tried to convert him into a starting pitcher & it didn't work well.

Chapman was a starter in Cuba and spent at least 2 years in the Reds' system as a starting pitcher.