Do you allow your HS players to go to AAU workouts in pre-season?

I have a comment and a couple of questions:

I assume most KHSAA coaches conduct their own conditioning/open gym programs prior to the first official date of practice mid-October. I would assume most programs will train 2-5 days a week, during this time. So my questions are as follows:

1) What are most high school coaches responses to AAU programs that want to simultaneously conduct workouts, during this same time frame of conditioning with several of the same players you are wanting to prepare for in your upcoming season.

2) Does your school allow AAU programs to utilize your high school facilities for their workouts, during the same time you are conducting your conditioning/open gym program?

• 1 month later...

It is not up to the coach to make any decision or set guidelines as to what my son can and cannot participate in during the open gym/conditioning time frame.

Somewhere coaches, seasoned or not, convinced themselves they are the authority in student athletes lives. This is a huge misconception.

Athletics is an extracurricular activity. It is the parent/guardian responsibility to govern the minor they are legally responsible for.

It is not up to the coach to make any decision or set guidelines as to what my son can and cannot participate in during the open gym/conditioning time frame.

Somewhere coaches, seasoned or not, convinced themselves they are the authority in student athletes lives. This is a huge misconception.

Athletics is an extracurricular activity. It is the parent/guardian responsibility to govern the minor they are legally responsible for.

Times have changed on that.

The khsaa has rules about what students can do once school starts. Most coaches don't care. They want their kids playing somewhere. I'm not a fan of aau, but I would have to admit most kids have a better chance of getting recruited via aau than school ball, so I would hope most coaches would be understanding that kids need to play aau.

I am pretty sure that it is a violation of KHSAA policy for a student to play aau ball during the high school basketball season. I am also pretty sure it is a violation for them to be involved with AAU after the first day of practice in October, but I am not positive.

You can't play for another team once school starts, but you can go to workouts with a trainer outside of the team practices even during the season. My son used to go to workouts 3 times a week even during the season when it didn't conflict with the school schedule.

This is false.

b) Restrictions from First Day of School through the Last Scheduled

Contest

(1) From the first day of school through the last scheduled contest

played in basketball (including KHSAA-sanctioned postseason

contests) by the school, no student who, after enrolling in

grade nine (9) has been a contestant in basketball at any level

(grades 9-12) and has eligibility remaining in basketball, may

participate in any manner on any nonschool sponsored team

in basketball; in any all-star game in basketball; or any type of

organized competition in basketball or variation of basketball

unless it has been sanctioned by the Board of Control.

I agree to the above, however the statement I quoted says "ANY organization" which would include the utilization of trainers outside of the schools. So many coaches use this rule to shield kids from progressing on their own. If its a conditioning coach that you run/lift with on weekends or a skills coach that you participate with weekly, both legal. The statement I quoted would also exclude KHSAA sanctioned events which the rule clearly states is legal.

This is not an interpretation of the rule. I have personally asked this question on numerous occasions.

This is not an attempt to create friction. The rules are clear and blanketed statements do not cut the mustard in today's day and time.