1A Game of the Week: 1A # 1 Beechwood vs. 3A # 1 Corbin

Bac2369

Who wins?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This battle could be legendary! Week 3 presents to us on paper a battle of heavyweight champions. Those heavyweights are #1 Beechwood and #1 Corbin. Both are the top team in their respective class. It's not often to see a match up like this.

Taking a look and trying to see if these two teams have crossed paths before and my search came up with nothing. So you diehard Beechwood and diehard Corbin fans can help us out. I do know one thing for sure though. if someone does find something or knows something we can almost guarantee that both of them were not number 1 when they played each other back in the day.

# 1 Beechwood comes into this game at 2-0 with wins over Lloyd and Somerset. Beechwood cruised to a 3 touchdown win over Lloyd in week 1 where many people praised the Coach Rash for giving the fullback some carries and reminding them of the tough hardnose running days of old that Beechwood was commonly known for. Game 2 for Beechwood was a trip to the Brair Patch in Somerset. Beechwood was expected to win this comfortably but due to weather the game was basically won on a blocked punt that set up the only touchdown of the game. Beechwood did move the ball but shot themselves once and was held once in the red zone. So that's two touchdowns or not touchdowns that could have been added. But Beechwood will look to rebound off what they call a poor performance even though they got the win. Something good about the next 7 games for Beechwood is they will not have to leave the Northern Kentucky area.

# 1 Corbin comes into this game 3-0 with wins over Whitley County, Pulaski Country and Tennessee Power Alcoa. There aren't many who thought they would see Corbin with a # 1 beside them. Belfry has owned this side of the state in 3A. Corbin beat cross county rival Whitley County 14-0 in week 0. In week 1 is where Corbin shocked the world by beating Alcoa in overtime on a Cameron Sizemore quarterback keeper to win the game 22-21. Corbin give Alcoa its first regular season loss to a team besides other Tennessee powerhouse Maryville. Corbin, after that monumental win, will have eyes on them very closely all season. Many also thought Corbin may have a little lay over from a big win the week before and let a solid Pulaski County beat them but Corbin did not let that happen and the showed again they are a team that's hungry and beat Pulaski County by 4 touchdowns. But the road doesn't get any easier which teams such as Beechwood and Mayfield still left on the schedule.

My keys to victory for Beechwood is to stop Corbin's Cameron Sizemore from having a good rushing game. They will also need to cut out dumb penalties and not turn the ball over and try to get the passing game going.

My keys for Corbin are to put pressure on the quarterback to make him throw before he wants to by blitzing from all over and not give Beechwood short fields.

So who wins the Class 1A Game of the Week? Can Beechwood use its speed to beat Corbin? Can Corbin play more physical than Beechwood?

Edited by Bac2369

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post. Should be a great game. That got me to thinking. If both Beechwood and Cov Cath retain their #1 rankings after their next games it will be #1 in 1A vs. #1 in 5 A the following week. It would be a stretch to find that scenario (#1s playing each other 2 weeks in a row) played out in the past.

Whichever team can score 21 points I believe will win this game, so obviously I expect a defensive battle that may well come down to special teams play and turnovers.

There will be a lot of heavy hearts in Corbin this week after losing a recent Corbin grad in a shooting at WKU this weekend.

Beechwood 24 Corbin 21!!! This is a biased pick because I know very little about Corbin!!! I hope Beechwood can keep Corbin's Offense in check and a late Daniel Mescher field goal will win this one late. Beechwood's Offense still has a lot of work ahead of it to get where it needs to be for a State Championship run. This game will help them get to where they need to be to hoist another trophy. Go Tigers!!!!!!!! We are BEECHWOOD!!!!!!!

I think both teams will be able to throw it fairly well and this might not be all that low scoring of a game. Both can spread it around and while both have good defenses I think there will be some points on the board.

Red and White Tigers are always very tough at home so this should be a good one.