Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 9/3/17

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2017 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 2 Edition

WHOA NELLIE!!! HURRICANE HARVEY rolled into the Commonwealth and dumped substantial rain on Kentucky especially the I-65 corridor with Bowling Green receiving 8 inches of rain. This force of nature caused 48 Thursday games and 22 Saturday games. And I would say congratulations to all those Athletic Directors as by my estimation they were all good calls.

AROUND THE STATE: Besides getting smoked by West Virginia 0-2 and Virginia 0-2, we schooled Ohio 3-2 and Indiana 1-0. Kentucky schools are doing well overall this year against our neighboring states!

WESTSIDER - Week 2 Western Kentucky Game of the Week RECAP: (Disclaimer 1: Westsider was a friend to this website and all sports in Western Kentucky. This is mentioned in honor of his memory!)

Mayfield 2A (3-0) 47 At Paducah Tilghman 3A (1-2) 14: I think Paducah Tilghman gave very good effort here. But when Coach Morris knows what you want to do and you are 1-dimentional, that is a recipe for a Cardinal victory nearly every time. But still a great atmosphere at the great OLD Rivalry!

Owensboro Catholic 2A (1-2) 12 At Owensboro (2-1) 47. This game is a big deal in Daviess County. With the Aces winning in 2016, I think the Red Devils have had this game circled for some time. Hope Aces QB Warren can come back from a helmet to helmet hit he took in the game that saw him leave early in the 4th Q and did not return.

It is the Week 2 Edition and that means Bowling Green plays Owensboro. So the game of the week this week will be known as the PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week. I know of no other, who combined a love for playing the game, watching the game, researching the history of the game and supporting all others who do the same with the zeal that my friend Michael “Bulldog” Drake (aka. PurpleHaze) did. He was a friend to BGP and to so many on this site and the entire Western part of the State. This week we honor his memory here, as he absolutely loved this game!

Week 3 PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week: 5A Owensboro (2-1) At 5A Bowling Green (1-2). Well these old Rivals come into this one on different traverses. Owensboro comes off a big rivalry game win and is in a much better spot for this game than last year. BG comes in smarting and banged up after battling 2 rugged Top 6A competitors and losing 2 in a row (in-season) for the first time since 2002. Should be another hard hitting game as I believe the Red Devils continue to run more than throw at this point. See more below!

Honorable Mention: Greenwood at Franklin-Simpson, and Glasgow at Allen County Scottsville, and Logan County at Russellville.

Week 2 Top 10:

10) Glasgow (2A) – Preseason Rank: Top 20; 2017 Record 3-0; Week 2 Results: Won 41-3 vs 3A Ft Campbell (1-2). QB Dalvin Smith continues to impress. The young man was responsible for 4 TDs (2 passing and 2 rushing). The Glasgow D limited the Falcons to 1 FG on the entire game. Solid… But the road now stiffens for the Scotties. Week 3: At Red Hot 4A Allen County Scottsville (3-0) The Patriots should prove to be the biggest test yet for the Scotties. Traveling to Scottsville to take on QB Chase Wilson, who is playing as well as any QB in the west at the moment. Get your car shined up Scottie Fans and drive the short half hour trip and take in Harper’s Catfish while you’re there! Harpers.jpg

9) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – Preseason Rank: 5 - 2017 Record 1-2; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results – Loss: 47-12 At 5A Owensboro (2-1). When you are in a rivalry game, you have to give everything you have and I think at this point in the season OCath did that. They were only down 21-7 at the half and scored on a Warren to Mills passing TD and cut it to 21-12 early in the 3rd. But the Red Devils scored on 4 of their next 5 possessions and basically put the game away. But bigger than this is that Star QB Will Warren scrambling for extra yards was hit on a helmet to helmet hit and had to be taken off on a stretcher. I certainly hope Mr Warren can come back very soon. But the line of scrimmage was clearly controlled by the Red Devils and that helped them immensely in this game. The Aces have scheduled heavy due to their weak district and I’m hoping this injury doesn’t cause them long term harm. Week 3: At South Spencer, IN (1-2). The Aces should stack up well with South, but if Warren doesn’t play it will likely lead to a low scoring game as South only averages 10 points a game. Hope OCath can get back to their winning ways.

8) Allen County Scottsville (4A) Preseason Rank: Top 20 - 2017 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results – Win: 26-23 At 5A Greenwood (1-2). According to our good friend @DragonFire, ACS hasn’t been 3 and 0 since 2010. And our good friend @FSfan reported Coach Hood’s Patriots made significant adjustments at halftime and went from Greenwood’s talented QB Jackson Adams running wild to shutting out the Gators the whole second half. The Patriots ran a punt back for the go ahead points and stun Greenwood for a second straight week. Week 3: Host 2A Glasgow (3-0). This will be a great game. 2 Outstanding undervalued QBs and Head Coaches match up to try and advance to 4 and 0 records. Come out and support your team Patriot fans!

7) Caldwell County (3A) – Preseason Rank: Top 15 - 2017 Record 2-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 28 to 21 at 4A Hopkinsville (0-3). This must have been a hard fought back and forth game as scores alternated to 14 all with 5 to go in the half. The score stayed that way into the 4th Quarter with Hoptown scoring next, but Caldwell scoring twice to secure the lead and the win. If Caldwell’s offense comes around, this will be a dangerous 3A team. Week 3: At gritty 1A Crittenden County (1-1). I like the Rockets, especially in 1A, but this is a bad matchup for them as they are pretty dog gone good passing team, but they are coming up against maybe the best pass defense in the West (if not best, Top 5 easy). If Caldwell’s offense hits it stride then it could be by a lot.

6) Franklin Simpson (4A) – Preseason Rank: 4 - 2017 Record 1-2; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 36-7 At 5A South Warren (3-0). Some of the best games in 4A in the recent past have been Franklin Simpson vs South Warren. But not this year. I honestly don’t know if this game says more for South Warren or more against Franklin Simpson. I’m sure it’s somewhere in the middle. What’s for sure is that the Franklin secondary is having problems containing good passing attacks. While the offense is obviously struggling more than most Franklin fans expected. With Warren East and Allen County Scottsville playing really good ball, the Wildcats must regroup with focus on peaking during the late September/October District games. But I am thankful Wildcat Traevon Goodnight, who was carted off the field, was released from the hospital yesterday. Best of luck on the recovery. Week 3: VS 5A Greenwood (2-0) at 7pm. For the second consecutive week, the Wildcats will battle a 5A Warren County opponent, this time from the friendly confines of Shadetree Stadium! This is somewhat of a desperation game if you think about it. As the loser will be 1 and 3 on the season and in trouble in the central portion of their schedule!

5) South Warren (5A) – Preseason Rank: 10 - 2017 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 36-7 vs 4A Franklin Simpson (1-2). As our good friend @jcarter reported, South Warren earned a running clock on the Wildcats! WOW! To me that is the biggest surprise. Not that South couldn’t win, but they won by a running clock. QB Spurrier and Company are rounding into mid-season form and gaining momentum by the day. Additionally the defense was awfully good to not surrender a point (varsity D). Week 3: At 6A Central Hardin (1-1) This is a great matchup for South and I like both these schools to make solid runs in the playoffs. CHardin is a very good opponent, but not over the top strong. Sparty will have to play very well to beat them as the Bruins QB Hobbs is the real deal!

4) Owensboro (5A) – Preseason Rank: 6 - 2017 Record 2-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 47-12 vs Owensboro Catholic (1-2). The Red Devils bounced back from a tough OT loss in Week 1. They pounded out 343 yards on the ground and took a fairly close game at the half and opened the flood gates. Owensboro was led on offense by JR QB Zeke Brown with 4 TDs (2 rushing and 2 passing). And the Owensboro D were swarming during the rain soaked game. I think the Red Devil D is very stout, but am concerned about the one-dimensional tendencies of the offence. And your schedule doesn’t ease up. Week 3: PURPLE HAZE: GAME OF THE WEEK Vs Bowling Green (1-2) at 7:00pm. For the Red Devils, if you’re going to play BG during the regular season, this is the time. Smarting after the first two consecutive, regular season, loss streak in 15 years. Make no mistake, Owensboro has a real shot in this game. Their OLine must outplay the BG DLine. This is critical as I think O will try to run quite a bit. If they can’t it will be problematic for the Red & Black.

3) Bowling Green (5A) – Preseason Rank: 1 - 2017 Record 1-2; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 30-19 Vs 6A St Xavier (2-0). I’m sure Purple Nation will be upset with this placement. They will say, “Purple88, the quality of opponent played the last 2 weeks is better competition than anybody else in the West has played. Why move them down?” Well, IMO playing strong competition is a two-way street. You gain experience for those players not playing in these type contests before and if you win you get the “trampoline effect” of catapulting your team WAY upward. But if you lose, you still get the experience factor, but you do NOT get the “trampoline effect” and have to pay the band. So this is the reason they are at the #3 spot IMO. Bowling Green had opportunities in the first half against a very tough St Xavier squad. In the red zone at least twice, stalling both times and turning it over on downs. Was a huge momentum swing for X. For the second straight week, BG loses the first half, wins the second half and loses the game. Very encouraged by the resolve to compete to the end, but the OLine and DLines were exposed to varying degrees, although I would say 99% of teams in the State’s lines will be exposed by St X’s lines. Starting Safety Jr Davis Tomlinson sustained a knee injury and did not return. Hope the young man is ok and back soon. Several other injuries as well, so this competition has been costly. Finally, to me this was Ziyon Kenner’s Breakout game. He has been good since coming to BG, but this was the first game BG really needed him and he stepped up big time! He played well at PRP, but this week made tough catch after tough catch and returned a punt for a TD to keep BGs hopes alive in the second half. BG will need more of this going forward.

Week 3 PURPLEHAZE GAME OF THE WEEK: Hosts 5A Old Rival Owensboro (2-1). The old rivalry returns to El Donaldson Stadium! BG defeated Owensboro twice last season, but the playoff game was very close for a while. BG is banged up and Owensboro is coming off a big rivalry game win last week. The Red Devils will likely try to run a lot. Coach Spader will be tasked with trying to stop a talented Red Devil squad once again. Come out to the El for great night sports fans!

2) Christian County (5A) – Preseason Rank: 2 - 2017 Record 3-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 20-14 At 6A Henderson County (1-2). But Purple88, we won the game vs Henderson County. Correct County fans, but upon further review, this is a Power Ranking. You are a 5A team with State Championship aspirations and your body of work is as follows:

1. Beat an improving but still offense limited 3A school (Caldwell County).

2. Beat a Rossview, TN team that supposedly has athletes, but is 1 and 2 on the year and honestly before this season I have never, ever heard of them. It’s like getting hunter green and mauve towels as a wedding present – What am I supposed to do with this??? I don’t know.

3. Travel to a rebuilding Henderson County squad. Yes they are 6A and I like what Coach Boston is doing in Henderson as they are going up, but they are nowhere near the competition the other top teams are playing and you struggled here and by most accounts hung on for the win.

I guess I’m struggling internally comparing last season with this season anticipating D1 QB Kolbe Langhi’s SR year and “expecting” it to be better or on par with last year. That may be unfair as each team is different and I know the WR core is young. But I also know JaQuon Long is a Stud Receiver. I picked him in my pre-season WR ALL WEST TEAM list. I’m rambling a bit, but honestly been rambling with County this whole season and the schedule will continue that trend for me. Still like you as a Top 5A Team, but waiting for the Owensboro game to get some data I can use. Week 3 Rivalry Game: Vs 4A Hopkinsville (0-3). Is there a better rivalry in Christian County – certainly not! Hoptown has to be down mentally, but honestly not surprising with the deadly combination of losing your 2 best players and amping up the regular season schedule to a degree unseen in many years. In a rivalry game anything can happen, but on paper Christian County is the Clear Favorite and should win comfortably. Will they???

1) Mayfield (2A) – Preseason Rank: 3 - 2017 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Westsider CO-GAME OF THE WEEK! Win: 47-14 At OLD Rival 3A Paducah Tilghman (1-2). Welcome to the Top Spot Cardinal Fans! Easily the most consistent team in the west this season. The Cardinals IMO are ahead of schedule for where I thought they would be this season. Their schedule is above their classification (or equal in formerly #1 ranked 2A Union City, TN) every game. They are the “Ants of the West”. An ant is documented to be able to carry 5,000 times its body weight. Just a fact! Being well coached is a given at Mayfield, but this could be one of their better coaching jobs replacing KEY players from a very good team last year and plugging in projected talent and getting instant results. That is knowing your personnel and putting them in the right positions to succeed. And is why they are #1 right now in the West.

Give Tilghman credit as I’m told they battled fiercely and played hard but a basically 1 dimensional offense will be hard pressed to overwhelm Big Red. Thanks to our good friend @MHSCardinal, who reported the Cardinal offense was very balanced on the night and the defense was again fast and aggressive. Par for the course. Week 3: Vs 6A McCracken County (1-2) At War Memorial Stadium. This is a good rivalry in the Purchase Area of the State. And in the long term – I really like what Coach Clark is/can provide which is long term stability. Problem is that Coach Morris told Merriam-Webster how to spell stability. Honestly, I don’t look for this game to be close. If it were in Paducah maybe for a quarter or so, but not in Mayfield. Mayfield names the score.

Next Tier 11 Thru 15 –

11. Tier:

Warren East (4A) – Preseason Rank: Outside Top 20 - 2017 Record 2-1; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 41-16 vs 4A Power Wayne County (3-0). The Raiders follow a Warren County shaking win vs Greenwood with a solid first half of football against a stronger opponent in Wayne County. The second half just didn’t come together for the Raiders. RB Trevor Naftel and LB Isiah Boards were again outstanding for East! Week 3: At 3A Edmonson County (3-0) You can get your nose busted in Edmonson County if you’re not careful! In all seriousness, Edmonson County is a team if overlooked could pull an upset here, but think if Coach Griffith has his team focused that they will ultimately overwhelm the gritty Wildcats.

Graves County 5A (2-1) – Week 2 Results: Win 38-22 vs (1-2) 6A McCracken County. It feels pretty good to get back in the ring with Gerry Cooney when you’ve just been drilled by Muhammad Ali. The Eagles got back in the ring and the win column as I think they were unhappy with the Week 1 loss to Caldwell County. They outgained McCracken County 450 total yards to 150. WOW! The 38 to 22 score obviously didn’t tell the tale in this one. They stay home to take on a 1-dimentional Paducah Tilghman squad next week. The Eagles should again be way too much here! Can Graves compete in their district with Christian County and Owensboro? I didn’t think so early on, but now am saying Why not? They are dangerous…

12. Tier:

Madisonville 4A (2-1) The Maroons blew the doors off poor ole’ Murray 53-7! The main stat in the game was Madisonville out rushed Murray 469 yards to 41 yards. Jariah Hightower and Aaron Miller both had great games on the ground for MNH! Next week the Maroons drive over to Morganfield to take on the 3A Union County Braves (2-0). I saw the Braves in a 7 on 7 this summer and they impressed me. This isn’t 7 on 7 but it should be a pretty decent game.

Greenwood (5A) – Preseason Rank: 7 - 2017 Record 1-2; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 26-23 vs 4A Allen County Scottsville (3-0). WOW #2! Thanks to our good friend @FSfan who brought us the exciting game details of this game! I am not AS shocked by this outcome compared to last week. But it really makes you think of the difficulty of going against decent defenses that KNOW going in you are running the ball 95% of the time. Just makes it tough! Jackson Adams again gave it everything he had and was runnin wild in the first half, but give Coach Hood credit. They made big time halftime adjustments and shut out GW in the second half. Week 3: At 4A Franklin Simpson (1-2). This was to be an upper echelon game in my mind in the pre-season that has been pushed down the pecking order. No question. But desperation can cause good football as both teams want to avoid going 1 and 3.

13. Tier:

McCracken County (6A) – Preseason Rank: 9 - 2017 Record 1-2; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 38 to 22 vs. Graves County 5A (2-1). Boys will be boys and fights happen. Problem is there are consequences like being suspended from games. With approximately 6 starters suspended for this game, the Mustangs didn’t really stand a chance vs an improving Graves County squad. We talked about this in the Pre-Season. Now comes the trip to War Memorial Stadium to face one of the hottest teams in the State Mayfield 2A (3-0). Sorry, no contest here. Hang in Mustangs – District Season is coming!

Paducah Tilghman 3A (1-2) The Blue Tornados fought but were simply outmanned on Friday night. No shame there vs Mayfield. Turn right around and face another hot team on the road at 5A Graves County next week. Well you can’t say Tilghman ever dodges anyone. But Lordy, the back to back to back tough games has to take a toll at some point; Right?

14. Tier

Hopkinsville 4A (0-3) The Tigers fought valiantly and outgained Caldwell County by 110 yards. But couldn’t make the plays down the stretch to pull out the win they so desperately needed. I don’t have stats on the Hoptown side of this one. Now you head to face your arch-rival (Christian County), a team you haven’t defeated since a 1 point win in 2014. You are the underdog here, but I expect a good game as usual; at least for a while. And anything can happen in a rivalry game.

Logan County 4A (3-0) – The Breakout Season Continues for the Cougars! They were also 3 and 0 in 1998, but if you can beat your Arch-Rival Russellville you can top the 1998 season! Tall order though; as we’ve discussed Rivalry games are anything goes. But as our friend @macdon said Rhea Stadium will be packed and Rockin on Friday night! Get out and support your team Cougar Fans!

15. Tier:

Ohio County 6A (3-0) The Eagles were also 3 and 0 in 2015 when they faced the Grayson County Cougars and came up just short. Well time has a way of repeating itself, as the Eagles get a shot at the Cougars again Friday night to best the 2015 mark. SR QB Heath Simmons is likely the best player you know nothing about (except for our good friend Apollo Fan). The standout QB has over 800 yards passing in 3 games 12 TDs and no INTs. Solid. Good luck Friday night!

Russellville 1A (2-1) The Panthers are still a dangerous team. After losing a tough game to a strong Glasgow Scottie team by 8 points right out of the gate, they have bulldozed Butler County and Ft Campbell. Now they head home with a date with their rivals Logan County. In days of recent past, this was an easy game for Russellville, but this one will be much more difficult. Ed Barber has been doing it all for Russellville in 3 games he has over 200 yards rushing and 4 TDs and is averaging almost 10 tackles a game! Solid… But the Panthers have just 7 guys who have played in all 3 games and only 20 guys who have played in at least 2 games. Will they have enough bodies at the end of this one?

Others receiving votes (in no particular order): Daviess County, Edmonson County, Hancock County, Henderson County, Hopkins County Central,

Week 2 Players of the Week: (I do not get very many stats prior to writing this so PLEASE add so all the fans know what is going on! Thanks!)

1) Jariah Hightower & Aaron Miller – RBs – Madisonville NH – both with over 140 yards rushing and 2 TDs each!

2) Trevor Naftel – RB – Warren East – 20 rushes for 174 yards and 1 TD against a tough Wayne County squad.

3) Zeke Brown – QB – Owensboro – over 200 yards of offense and 4 TDs!

4) Will Beshear, Caleb Burden, Hunter VanHooser – Defense – Caldwell County – each one of them with over 10 tackles against Hopkinsville.

5) Ziyon Kenner – WR/Kick Returner – Bowling Green - 7 catches, 103 yards and a punt return for a TD.

FLASHBACK: Week 2 2015 – Players of the Week:

1) John Mark Boarman – SR MLB and RB – Owensboro Catholic – after a 19 tackle performance against Daviess County; Mr. Boarman backs it up against the Red Devils with 16 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 receiving TD!

2) Glasgow QB Dessi Austin (248 yards passing and 4 TDs) and WR Ben Hughes (3 TDs)!

3) Taco Wilson (GREAT Name!) QB Trigg County – 4 TDs over Caverna.

4) Berneil Cecil – RB – Elizabethtown – 241 yards, 4 TDs on 8 carries!

Week 2 “Big Droppers”

Franklin Simpson (4A) – Down – Not sure where to start here, but this isn’t where I anticipated Franklin Simpson to be. However, football is a GREAT teaching tool and know Coach Preston will use this opportunity to continue to challenge his team to respond and improve. These are out of district games, which don’t set the table for the playoffs, BUT you do get an idea of what type team you have. So for the Wildcats there is a LOT of work to do, but the good thing is that you still have time to regroup and make a run. There are no juggernauts on the West side of the 4A bracket and anything can happen. Steady on…

Owensboro Catholic (2A) – Down – OCath schedules heavy. That goes both ways as sometimes the bigger team is just better. That seemed to be the case the other night. No shame in losing to the Red Devils. Many will lose to them this season. But is the season script already printed. I mean, up and down out of district against teams they simply can’t match up with. Handle teams they should handle. Kill their district. Mow down the early playoff foes. Roll into the Purchase and battle Mayfield at War Memorial Stadium, but just not enough… Am I too early here or is that it? You tell me…

Week 2 “Big Risers”

South Warren (5A) – Up – Ya know, I get the feel that many just want South Warren to go away. Well, you are not going to be happy with me here, because they aren’t going away. With the divine intervention that allowed QB Gavin Spurrier to fall into Coach Smith’s lap, South has come out of the gate hot in a year where MUCH was unknown. But the passing attack, at least early on, has been dynamite! And any defense with Jacob Lacy on it will be dynamite. So look for South to continue to improve. The Central Hardin game should be telling as they have a decent team this year. But South has a chance to run the table prior to the showdown with Bowling Green. Wouldn’t that be a doozy!!!

Allen County-Scottsville (4A) – Up – Coach Hood and his Patriots haven’t beaten murder’s row but they have instilled a will to win and are a dangerous team as they build for the district challenge to come. They get Franklin Simpson at home and have to travel to the Smurf Turf to play a better than expected Warren East Team. Will be interesting to see how this district plays out.

Perfect write up. Great writeup and research for each game/team.

As a Purples fan, I think they could use a game where they could win by a blow out. They're not used to being not only beat but statistically getting hammered. They may have to wait another week but some big wins in the coming Fridays could be what the doctor ordered.

Again, we (Purple folk) knew week 2 and 3 was going to be a tall order for 15 new helmets on the field. Although we came away with 2 losses, Purples won the second half of both of those games. IMO, the only team in state that goes 3-0 against BGs first 3 opponents is Trinity. The fact that BG went down swinging in both losses is a good sign.

Its been a decade since BG has been this banged up. I'm ready for the stretch of games where our #1s can be pulled at halftime.

All that to say, Purples may or may not finish atop the charts in regular season but they should be rested, primed and ready to make a run in November. Regardless of their record they are still 5A champs.

I would of thought losing by a mere 6 points to the former #1 current #2 team would find you somewhere in the top 15. I understand Ohio County is 3-0 and undefeated looks good. But strength of schedule should matter. Its been this way the past 2-3 seasons. Henderson plays murderers row, has a underwhelming record. Gets over looked in these rankings then plays their district foe's that have better records by way of playing cupcakes Ohio Co. Daviess Co. etc (these teams get ranked) and then Henderson beats them all in the district with the exception of McCracken. I could be wrong but I just can't see Ohio Co. staying within 3 TD's of Henderson much less beating them. I am a homer but that's just my observation.

I would of thought losing by a mere 6 points to the former #1 current #2 team would find you somewhere in the top 15. I understand Ohio County is 3-0 and undefeated looks good. But strength of schedule should matter. Its been this way the past 2-3 seasons. Henderson plays murderers row, has a underwhelming record. Gets over looked in these rankings then plays their district foe's that have better records by way of playing cupcakes Ohio Co. Daviess Co. etc (these teams get ranked) and then Henderson beats them all in the district with the exception of McCracken. I could be wrong but I just can't see Ohio Co. staying within 3 TD's of Henderson much less beating them. I am a homer but that's just my observation.
Cols,

I think you have some fair points here. They are on the radar and maybe they should in ahead of Ohio County. I've said many times I like what Coach Boston is doing in Henderson. Let's look at your body of work:

1. Get ripped and shutout by Reitz that many schools will get beat by.

2. Beat an Evansvile North squad that by other Henderson fans admission is not that good.

3. Stay with a Christian County team that was #1, but upon further review is not really playing #1 football. Does it say more about them or more about you? I don't know.

So Henderson is 1 and 2 and played 2 tough games and lost them both. Ohio County has played teams that they can beat and beat them.

Again, I have said good things about Henderson for some time, but to elevate on a loss is not my mode of operation on this ranking. In the end, what I say doesn't matter as all that does is win your district games and host another playoff game. I'd call that a win and I said that in the pre-season for Henderson as well. Best of Luck going forward!

Cols,

I think you have some fair points here. They are on the radar and maybe they should in ahead of Ohio County. I've said many times I like what Coach Boston is doing in Henderson. Let's look at your body of work:

1. Get ripped and shutout by Reitz that many schools will get beat by.

2. Beat an Evansvile North squad that by other Henderson fans admission is not that good.

3. Stay with a Christian County team that was #1, but upon further review is not really playing #1 football. Does it say more about them or more about you? I don't know.

So Henderson is 1 and 2 and played 2 tough games and lost them both. Ohio County has played teams that they can beat and beat them.

Again, I have said good things about Henderson for some time, but to elevate on a loss is not my mode of operation on this ranking. In the end, what I say doesn't matter as all that does is win your district games and host another playoff game. I'd call that a win and I said that in the pre-season for Henderson as well. Best of Luck going forward!

Nothing but respect 88. I wasn't specifically trying to call out your rankings as much as I was questioning all rankings in general. When we rank teams are we doing it based off what resume looks good on paper or who we really believe are the best teams. I'm always curious how people determine their rankings. And I wasn't really trying to take a jab at Ohio Co. there's honesty not much significance in being #15 vs unranked. Me personally I've always been on the fence about what's better for a football program. Have a non district schedule of nothing but highly ranked teams and risk losing a bunch of games such as in Hendersons case the past few years or schedule bad 2A-4A teams like Ohio Co. does and build your program up and have better W/L records.

Thanks Purple88! Great information as always. I look forward to this every week.

Great discussion as well. I agree that I think Henderson County is improved this season. How much, I don't know yet. That Caldwell County at Henderson game next week could be mighty interesting.

Thanks Purple88! Great information as always. I look forward to this every week.

Great discussion as well. I agree that I think Henderson County is improved this season. How much, I don't know yet. That Caldwell County at Henderson game next week could be mighty interesting.

Ptown,

I definitely agree with you on the Caldwell vs Henderson County game. I get the feel that Hendo is gaining momentum and even though they have been defeated soundly in game #1 that it didn't defeat them as they stormed back and beat Evansville North (good or not) and stayed with a good Christian County team to the end. That is pretty good!

I have not been on the Caldwell train this season, but I think they are better than I've given them credit for and therefore should pose a perfect opponent for Henderson to again find out where they are at. Especially at home...

What are your thoughts on the Tilghman vs Graves County game?

That Tilghman-Graves game is tough to call. I think I would make Graves a slight favorite. Just because I think Graves has a little more offense.

I still believe the Tilghman defense is pretty good, despite what Mayfield did to it. The key will be whether or not Graves can take care of the football. Take away the turnovers and Graves would have had a really good chance of winning at Caldwell County two weeks ago.

Good job Purple! This is a lot of fun. Myself I still think its gotta be BG at #1 but love to see my Cards getting up there. I am growing very concerned about what we are seeing out of Christian. They need to find themselves soon

TP,

I really want it to be fun. That and that it s informative in a fun way and that u want to come back the following week. We don't have to see eye to eye on the rankings. That doesn't matter as much as everyone having fun with it.

Big games this week for many in the west! The Pre-District is coming to a close and it's about to turn serious. Will be fun!