Ties......Yawn

Ties are part of the game so in general I have no issue with them. I do have an issue if one team makes little to no effort to play offense and simply packs the back to win a 0-0 tie. And no, I am not singling out any team with this. I've yet to see a game this season, but I have seen it done in the past.

Ties are part of the game so in general I have no issue with them. I do have an issue if one team makes little to no effort to play offense and simply packs the back to win a 0-0 tie. And no, I am not singling out any team with this. I've yet to see a game this season, but I have seen it done in the past.

I would suggest you not attend most regional games then. This becomes more of a tactical tool come October. I wish I had an answer to change this but there is not one.

For all the great things soccer is, rules are not one of their strong areas. Not to change the discussion but the new offsides rule in so bad it's ridiculous. When an offensive player is in an obvious offside position and is obviously going to become involved in the play to wait for this offsides player to actually touch the ball before the AR signals offsides is horrible.

I would suggest you not attend most regional games then. This becomes more of a tactical tool come October. I wish I had an answer to change this but there is not one.

For all the great things soccer is, rules are not one of their strong areas. Not to change the discussion but the new offsides rule in so bad it's ridiculous. When an offensive player is in an obvious offside position and is obviously going to become involved in the play to wait for this offsides player to actually touch the ball before the AR signals offsides is horrible.

Why? It makes it the same as all the other rules. Nothing is called until they violate the rule.

I disagree. The old way of calling offsides, the AR would raise his flag at the point (on the field) the offensive player was in the offsides position at the exact point one of his teammates played the ball. The center ref would allow the play to continue to see if the offensive player in the offsides position became or would obviously become involved in the play. All the while the AR would hold his position and if the offsides was called the restart was at the point of the AR. The offensive player in the offsides position did NOT have to touch the ball for the play to be ruled offsides.

I'm not a ref but it has become very apparent the new rule the offensive player in the offsides position must now touch the ball before offsides is ruled. And the restart is now at the point this player touches the ball. Which in many cases is 20-30 yards past where he was in the offsides position when his teammate played the ball.

There is also the issue, (I know this is a big issue with collegiate players where subbing is limited), the offensive must now run after the ball, maybe 20-30 yards or more even though it is very, very obvious the play will be called offsides once he touches the ball. This can happen 5-6 or many more times in a game, resulting in a lot of wasted energy. The risk of injury, why require the players to continue playing when it's obvious the play will be whistled for offsides?

And what about this one. If the new offsides call requires the offensive player in the offsides position to actually touch the ball, is the offensive player in the offsides position that does not touch the ball but yet "distracts" or occupies the keeper still ruled offsides? If so it makes the new ruling confusing, in some situations the offensive player in the offsides position must touch the ball before being ruled offsides, but in other cases, (distracting the keeper) he is not required to touch the ball before be ruled offsides.

I know this was meant in jest (at least partially) but the schedule Ryle has played so far has been ridiculous. Check out the goals allowed of the opponents in all those 0-0 games.

If Ryle doesn't roll through their district I will be surprised.

Not meant in jest. But you would be qualified to answer the question.

How do the players feel after 5 ties and being in 4 0-0 games? Are they satisfied with a 0-0 game against a really good opponent or would they rather lose 4-3 in an exciting back and forth game? What about a tie against a team they outplayed?

How do the coaches coach? You did not win but you did not lose. So do you try and shake things up or try to maintain?

How do fans feel? I watched one tie in football back in the 70s and thought it felt like a loss for both teams.

I disagree. The old way of calling offsides, the AR would raise his flag at the point (on the field) the offensive player was in the offsides position at the exact point one of his teammates played the ball. The center ref would allow the play to continue to see if the offensive player in the offsides position became or would obviously become involved in the play. All the while the AR would hold his position and if the offsides was called the restart was at the point of the AR. The offensive player in the offsides position did NOT have to touch the ball for the play to be ruled offsides.

I'm not a ref but it has become very apparent the new rule the offensive player in the offsides position must now touch the ball before offsides is ruled. And the restart is now at the point this player touches the ball. Which in many cases is 20-30 yards past where he was in the offsides position when his teammate played the ball.

There is also the issue, (I know this is a big issue with collegiate players where subbing is limited), the offensive must now run after the ball, maybe 20-30 yards or more even though it is very, very obvious the play will be called offsides once he touches the ball. This can happen 5-6 or many more times in a game, resulting in a lot of wasted energy. The risk of injury, why require the players to continue playing when it's obvious the play will be whistled for offsides?

And what about this one. If the new offsides call requires the offensive player in the offsides position to actually touch the ball, is the offensive player in the offsides position that does not touch the ball but yet "distracts" or occupies the keeper still ruled offsides? If so it makes the new ruling confusing, in some situations the offensive player in the offsides position must touch the ball before being ruled offsides, but in other cases, (distracting the keeper) he is not required to touch the ball before be ruled offsides.

So under the old method, if the player didn't end up being offside then you have an AR 20-30 yards out of position.

As far as the keeper being "distracted" causing an offside, that's not a situation where offside is called. It was actually a huge point of emphasis when I last took the ref course for youth soccer.

Having watched enough of the MLS plays this year that clearly hasn't changed.

The new method is by far more consistent with the rest of the rules. Nothing is signaled or indicated until the player actually does something which violates being offside. Which is how every other call in the game is.

I get that it's a change and people are adjusting but it is most certainly a change to further consistency.