1A Game of the Week: 1A #8 Louisville Holy Cross at 2A #4 DeSales

Bac2369

Who wins?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Louisville Holy Cross
    • DeSales

It's that time again - time for the annual battle of small school bragging rights in Louisville. In week 2 we shall see 1A Louisville Holy Cross play at Louisville DeSales. Taking a look back at recent history of this match up the win loss record is kind of one sided.

If you are familiar with this series then you should know Holy Cross hasn't beaten DeSales since 2010. The last win before that takes us all the way back to the 4 class setup in 2006. In the past 11 years DeSales has won 9 times and is currently holding a 6 game win streak over Holy Cross. So we can say DeSales has owned Louisville Holy Cross in this series. If you think it couldn't be any worse, here is another interesting fact. DeSales hasn't given up a single score to Holy Cross since 2012 and the games haven't been competitive since 2011 when DeSales' Barry squeaked out a 7-6 victory.

2017 is a new season and Holy Cross hopes to put an end to this losing streak and, in my opinion, get over a mental hump and put a score on the board. Holy Cross got its first win this past week over Valley and they did it in an impressive way. The team racked up over 400 yards of offense. They rushed for 271 yards and Senior Mario Convenuto rushed for 200 yards of that. The team also had a very balanced passing attack that accounted for 199 yards through the air with 6 different kids making plays. Holy Cross showed quite a bit of improvement from week 0 to week 1. Hopefully they can continue to improve and keep this game close as their defense has only allowed one touchdown in each game.

DeSales in 2017 is sitting at 2-0 with two very impressive victories over Ballard and Butler. DeSales seems to be using the power running game with several backs getting touches. As a team in two games the Colts have rushed for 472 yards and have two kids with over 100 yards rushing and two more knocking on the door. DeSales hasn't needed to throw the ball much this season. The quarterback has only attempted 15 passes and completed 7 of them for just over a 100 yards. DeSales hopes the 4 headed monster can power them to another state title after being absent the past two.

So who wins this Game of Week in 1A? Can Holy Cross snap this losing streak or will DeSales take the streak to 7?

I did not realize DeSales has dominated this series the way they have. Holy Cross has played well in their first two and put up 36 points last week on a 4A school. I don't expect Holy Cross to win but this game will be a good early season measuring stick for both teams.

I didn't either until looking some stats up. I just hope they can score after being shut out for four straight years.