Stocking a farm pond

hidinout

Well I'd take some young small fish from a overstocked pond if anyone wants thinned out .. but my question is does anyone have experience and can recommend a supplier ? place from Ark is coming to the hardware place in Greenup this fall but I'd like to invest wisely

Contact the ky dept of fish and wildlife. They have dedicated folks for just that service. As a matter of fact, you have a neighbor on Chinns Branch who did that very thing. Of course, all of his family have heavy equipment and that sure spares the bottom line. You can have your pond evaluated and recommendations will be given you, and to my knowledge, that service is free. Or at the most, very minimally expensive. Species and ratio are important with regard to volume of water. Overpopulation is common. Good luck

There is a very small bait fish that you can stock a pond with that will keep the mosquito population to almost zero.

On the old Joe B and Denney show, Denney talked about how great they were. Provided food for his crappie and bass while eating all of the mosquito eggs along the banks in shallow water.

I can't remember what it was though.

Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife. I built a 1/4 acre pond on my family's farm property and stocked it through their program. They drop off plastic bags filled with fingerlings mixed to a symbiotic balance appropriate for bodies of water in Kentucky. It's a mixture of channel catfish, largemouth bass, and bluegill.

For what it's worth, there are folks that will tell you that you "have to let Fish & Wildlife on your land to manage your pond" or that you "have to open your pond up to public fishing" after using the state's pond stocking program. Absolutely 100% false.