How long until Boone County "Rebels" are forced to change their mascot?

brooksville

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen Central and Atherton are also schools with "Rebels" as mascots.

Allen Central is now closed but they seemed very into the Rebels name. I saw a game there last season and a Confederate flag was hanging below the scoreboard.

Atherton seems the polar opposite of Rebels.

Casey County and Todd County Central are also Rebels.

Allen Central is now closed but they seemed very into the Rebels name. I saw a game there last season and a Confederate flag was hanging below the scoreboard.

That's right...slipped my mind. But yes, they always have struck me as being a little overboard with the Confederate thing as well.

ALLEN%20CENTRAL.jpg

Seems like recently Boone County announced they were redesigning their logo but keeping the name Rebels.

I wish they would redesign the logo. I have a track shirt with logo that has an older gentlemen on it in a large brimmed hat and mustache. He looks like a tobacco smokin', bourbon drinkin', bird-chested, skinny-armed, not-long-for-this-world "good old boy" that wouldn't strike fear into the heart of a girls' flag football team.

As for the Rebel designation... my understanding is that the high school voted on this right after James Dean's famous movie had made a splash. It has more to do with Hollywood than Richmond. At least that was what was discussed the last time one lone person raised a fuss and it made it into the news.

Atherton

Boone County

Boyle County

Casey County

Owen County

Todd Central

Fun Fact: Highlands nickname was "the Devils" until the 1920s, when the sports teams were renamed "the Bluebirds" due to public outrage from local churches concerning the use of "Devils."

Fear the Bird sounds so much fiercer than Fear the Devil, don't you think?! :ylsuper: