Garage door repair

plantmanky

Got any garage door repair guys on BGP.

Ours opened fine this morning, went to close it and it only went half way and stopped and that is all it will do. Nothing seems stuck or jammed. Its a belt drive chamberlain unit. With the door hooked to it or not it will only go half way now.

Check to see if the track has possibly twisted a little bit on either side. If not that look at all cables to see if any are frayed and hanging up.

After that I got nothing, since it doesn't see to be your opener.

Track for the door itself is fine. The track thing for the belt seems fine too. The belt itself is in great shape. Its weird, the motor just seems to bind (like it does when the door goes all the way down) and just stops half way. Even with the the door not connected.

Mine did that and had to call a repair guy. He replaced a part and it has worked fine since. Total was about $80

Unit is from 2008 so it says on the plate. Looks like I can buy a new unit for around $300 ish. Hence my delemia to call a service company or just get a new one.

Check the sensor and see if it has moved for some reason. When I say sensor I mean the track sensor that tells the motor when the door has reached closure. It should be on the track where the door connects to the motor. There will be one at the open position and one at the close position. I had one come loose once and slid about half way up the track.

Start by re-learning it to it's ranges.

Look in your manual or on line to see how. Sometimes they just lose they're brain. If it has an on board battery, good chance that is dying.

Lack of manual will be an issue here. Opener came with the house when we bought it.

Check the sensor and see if it has moved for some reason. When I say sensor I mean the track sensor that tells the motor when the door has reached closure. It should be on the track where the door connects to the motor. There will be one at the open position and one at the close position. I had one come loose once and slid about half way up the track.

Not sure what im looking for nut I think i get what you are saying. Will look when I get home.

If you have to go new. These Chamberlains are great. I just installed 3 of them.

- Comes with outdoor key pad

-The wall mount button has a motion sensor that turns the light on automatically.

-$179 at Home Depot

Chamberlain Whisper Drive 1/2 HP Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with MyQ Technology-WD832KEV - The Home Depot

The one I have is a chamberlain 3/4 HP. Has the key pad and such. Probably upgrade to th 1 1/4 HP if i go new. Id like to put a thicker insulated door on later down the road.

The one I have is a chamberlain 3/4 HP. Has the key pad and such. Probably upgrade to th 1 1/4 HP if i go new. Id like to put a thicker insulated door on later down the road.

Heavier door requires a spring upgrade more so than an opener upgrade.

Spring adjustment/upgrade makes the door weigh zero. Nothing wrong with moving to a 1 1/4 though.

I would almost bet your battery is dying.

Chamberlain Replacement Garage Door Opener Battery-4228 - The Home Depot