Combining the BGP + CJ Coaches + LHL coaches + CalPreps Rankings

When each poll/ranking/rating list was released, each one had its detractors. But when you combine all into one, you'll see that they are all pretty similar.

There were four rankings that did each class for the state: Bluegrass Preps, Courier-Journal COACHES, Herald-Leader COACHES and CalPreps.

In 1-A, only 13 teams had a top-10 ranking and seven appeared in all four.

In 2-A, only 11 teams had a top-10 ranking and nine appeared in all four.

In 3-A, only 15 teams had a top-10 ranking and seven appeared in all four. All four polls had at least one team (Waggener for CJ, Garrard County for LHL, Tilghman for BGP and both Casey County and Fleming County for CalPreps) not appear in the other three top-10s.

In 4-A, only 12 teams had a top-10 ranking and eight appeared in all four. Two teams appeared in 3-of-4, with the LHL being the outlier (including Franklin County and Spencer County in the top 10 when the other three all had Rockcastle or Mercer).

In 5-A, only 15 teams had a top-10 ranking and seven appeared in all four. Three of the four (South Warren and Highlands for the LHL, Dixie Heights for BGP and Madison Southern for CAL) had top-10 teams which did not appear in any of the other polls.

In 6-A, only 11 teams had a top-10 ranking and nine appeared in all four. The only outlier was the LHL having McCracken in the top 10 at 10th instead of Ballard, which was 10th in each of the other three).

Here's a graphic showing where teams were in each ranking:

DHCYrf_XgAAcque.jpg

Edited by Nathaniel Bryan
Headline Typo

Good job compiling all of this...thanks.

Interesting that not one poll matched the consensus 1-10.

I don't think it's that surprising, and here's why:

47 of the 60 were locks. Teams in the top 10 in all four rankings.

The 13 differentials come near the bottom of the poll, which is natural. Some top-10 teams in one poll were likely a 11 or 12 in another.

Plus, there's nothing too radical out there. I think the "craziest" thing was South Warren being fourth in one poll, but I think some coaches forgot South Warren changed classes.

What a cool idea... have we seen this before?

Not sure.

I know during March Madness, look up the "Bracket Matrix." That thing charts so many projected brackets, it's crazy. But you get an idea of where experts think the teams will be seeded.

I kind of did this, starting out at least, to show how Cal Preps was NOT that crazy. Go back and check that thread and people ripped Cal Preps' rankings hard. As it turns out, they knew what they were doing. More impressive? They were the FIRST to put their rankings out there (and most everyone followed suit). They weren't wrong; they were before their time.

I also did this for radio/TV/writers/bloggers to have more data to use in their previews/recaps/stories.

When each poll/ranking/rating list was released, each one had its detractors. But when you combine all into one, you'll see that they are all pretty similar.

There were four rankings that did each class for the state: Bluegrass Preps, Courier-Journal COACHES, Herald-Leader COACHES and CalPreps.

In 1-A, only 13 teams had a top-10 ranking and seven appeared in all four.

In 2-A, only 11 teams had a top-10 ranking and nine appeared in all four.

In 3-A, only 15 teams had a top-10 ranking and seven appeared in all four. All four polls had at least one team (Waggener for CJ, Garrard County for LHL, Tilghman for BGP and both Casey County and Fleming County for CalPreps) not appear in the other three top-10s.

In 4-A, only 12 teams had a top-10 ranking and eight appeared in all four. Two teams appeared in 3-of-4, with the LHL being the outlier (including Franklin County and Spencer County in the top 10 when the other three all had Rockcastle or Mercer).

In 5-A, only 15 teams had a top-10 ranking and seven appeared in all four. Three of the four (South Warren and Highlands for the LHL, Dixie Heights for BGP and Madison Southern for CAL) had top-10 teams which did not appear in any of the other polls.

In 6-A, only 11 teams had a top-10 ranking and nine appeared in all four. The only outlier was the LHL having McCracken in the top 10 at 10th instead of Ballard, which was 10th in each of the other three).

Here's a graphic showing where teams were in each ranking:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63249[/ATTACH]

I cannot see these with my old eyes. I tried zooming it did not let me.

Right click on the image and open in a new tab. Should be bigger and easier to read.

Absolutely nothing happens, I am on a MacBook Air. I tried zooming, clicking lots of ways including right click. Just nothing. It is probably me but I try what I know and what people suggest.

Absolutely nothing happens, I am on a MacBook Air. I tried zooming, clicking lots of ways including right click. Just nothing. It is probably me but I try what I know and what people suggest.

Using mac and Firefox. Right and click and "view image" will get you a bigger view. Just use the 'back' arrow or button to get back here. Also can 'save image' and return the same way. If still in the browser use the 'command key and plus/equal key to enlarge in the browser.

CovCath being #2 in the CJ and #7 in the HL maybe the widest ranking spread of top teams in each class.

Not sure what that says about CovCath or 5A but most other rankings are no so spread out.

Nice work. Provides a bit of different insight.

Good catch. Missed that one.

Although it will be interesting to see what happens with South Warren.

If using safari, click with two fingers and a pop will appear, choose "Open in new tab".