Coaching

T-CATS

% Coaches contribute to a Win  

59 members have voted

1. 1. % Coaches contribute to a Win

I'd say it's a split. Coach has to know how to motivate and get the most out his the players. Has to know what scheme matches the talent on the team. Once on the field, it's up to the players to execute and perform as they've been taught. I always viewed it more as a partnership and have seen teams perform their best when it was that way.

I'd say it's a split. Coach has to know how to motivate and get the most out his the players. Has to know what scheme matches the talent on the team. Once on the field, it's up to the players to execute and perform as they've been taught. I always viewed it more as a partnership and have seen teams perform their best when it was that way.

Agree but think high school coaches play a huge part in a teams success on the field. I know they don't step on the field and make any plays but being able to use the talent you get and maximize and motivate it is HUGE.

I think a very good coach is the difference of taking a real good team and making them a championship team. Or taking a bad team and winning an extra game. But I don't think your going to put the best coach on a very bad team and expect to win championships. It still will come down to depth and talent no matter who the coach is.

First and foremost, wins depend on player talent. The best coach there is cannot win without talent.

Talent being equal, coaches have about the same impact as player team chemistry/attitude has. I put that number at no more than 2 wins, versus a percentage. Your team has to have good leaders among its players, apart from the coaches, and those players have to take ownership for their team. It is always the players' team and the number of wins a team gets is on the players more than the coaches. A coach's number one job is to help build that team chemistry and teach the players that this is their team, not his.

A poor coach can cause more damage than a good coach can contribute to wins. If you take all the good coaches and switch their teams around, there won't be a significant impact on wins.

If you think of talent and coaching on a sliding scale from 0-100, the lower one is then the higher the other needs to be.

When you have both on the high end, good things happen. Both on the low end, you go 0-10.

If you make a fair assessment of the talent that a team has, then you'll be left knowing what level coaching they need.

There's no set answer for any of this.

Some our best years coaching were on losing teams.

And talent is a much bigger deal than coaching until the playoffs start. I've seen teams from Atlanta with DI talent across the board always make the playoffs and then get bounced in the first or second round every year.

Coaching matters most when talent levels are equal or close to it.

Some our best years coaching were on losing teams.

And talent is a much bigger deal than coaching until the playoffs start. I've seen teams from Atlanta with DI talent across the board always make the playoffs and then get bounced in the first or second round every year.

Coaching matters most when talent levels are equal or close to it.

Truth. The some of the best coaching I've been around was on teams that went winless.

School, roster size, opponents, etc have a great impact on wins and losses.

Coaching is also much more than in game. So indirectly, it's hard to say unless you're around the team every day.

Coaching is always important, but a bad coach can win some games with great talent.

But put that coach against a good one in a tough game and he will lose.

Taking things to the next level, All pieces need to be in place to win championships, Coaching, players, and staff.

Organization, utilization of practice time allotments, Offensive/Defensive schematics that best fit your player pool, having earned the respect and confidence of your team, and surrounding yourself with competent assistants and a strong support base all comprise having a great head coach which contributes to wins and losses on the scoreboard.

Having a plethora of talented players never hurts.