Madison Central 21 Boyle County 0 (Scrimmage)

Which category does this fall under...

A. Cause for concern for the Rebels?

B. Move along, nothing to see here, it's just a scrimmage.

A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.

This is a concern for the rebels based on the fact that they never responded for 3 quarters and were flat from the start. I do also think that the fact that it is a scrimmage needs to be taken into account but you cannot turn on a switch and play well during a game. This Boyle team is very talented and even though most dont agree that can sometime be a bad thing. When you are talented sometimes that leads to showing up for a game or in this case a scrimmage and playing like you have a three score lead. They still have a week before their first game and if there was any man in the country that I would want leading my team after that performance it would be Chuck Smith. So even though I think that this is cause for concern I do also think the pieces are there but maybe just not in the right places just yet.

Which category does this fall under...

A. Cause for concern for the Rebels?

B. Move along, nothing to see here, it's just a scrimmage.

That's a really good question

I don't think you can say A but I also think there has to be some alarm.

Boyle fans have been extremely optimistic and judging from the pre-season video features of the team and how the media has viewed them I think this has to create some pause

With that said, af the end of the day these were essentially meaningless snaps against a 6A Madison Central that should be pretty tough.

I think more than anything it may be time to tap the brakes a bit on the optimism, but at the same time I don't think this is any indication that Boyle is not capable of achieving their goals.

Boyle fans have been extremely optimistic and judging from the pre-season video features of the team and how the media has viewed them I think this has to create some pause

With that said, af the end of the day these were essentially meaningless snaps against a 6A Madison Central that should be pretty tough.

I think more than anything it may be time to tap the brakes a bit on the optimism, but at the same time I don't think this is any indication that Boyle is not capable of achieving their goals.

:thumb:

Well I'm not to much concerned. Boyle has the talent this year but they also have a lot of young kids playing. A lot of the thing that we did wrong are thing that will be corrected, I'm sure of, over the next week. But if you take a look at the last couple of years, we have not really did that great in the scrimmage games. There's some things I am concerned about but I'm thinking we will be okay. Might take a lump or two the first few games but we will have it going by district time.

I agree with you @CAT DIESEL POWER when you said that you can't just flip a switch and think that's going to take care of it. I think that just goes with having I lot of young player out on the field.

Any word on how the Hotchkiss kid is doing? I seen him with ice on the back of his neck.

While I do agree with you on them being a good team from 6A class are you basing this meaningless on the score or were you at the game? My concern with alarm is the amount of times they had this 6A school stuffed in the hole and they would bounce for a big play or the amount of times we missed block (not got beat just flat out missed). I am not saying that you are not correct in your assessment as I agree with most of it. I just have to say that I based mine on how we played (not the outcome) and the mistakes we made that had nothing to do with the opponent but with BC.

While I do agree with you on them being a good team from 6A class are you basing this meaningless on the score or were you at the game? My concern with alarm is the amount of times they had this 6A school stuffed in the hole and they would bounce for a big play or the amount of times we missed block (not got beat just flat out missed). I am not saying that you are not correct in your assessment as I agree with most of it. I just have to say that I based mine on how we played (not the outcome) and the mistakes we made that had nothing to do with the opponent but with BC.

No offense, but this time of the year EVERY team is going to make simple mistakes. I am sure the Madison Central staff has a laundry list of missed assignments, missed tackles, and missed opportunities just like Boyle's.

At the end of the day all we can take out of this is Boyle isn't rounded into form yet to go out and play at a Championship level, doesn't mean they wont get there sooner, later, or at all... just means that as expected they still have work to do before the games start to matter (just like 95% of the teams in the State).

I would add.... scrimmage scores are meaningless. For example, we will always fake a punt in a scrimmage just to make our first opponent defend it. In 1987 in the CKC grid, we got in split backs and ran dive every play....and had never practiced it. When I was at Paris, my best guys might get 30 snaps and then I started protecting bodies. Some coaches call bad plays on purpose so they get their tails kicked as a wake up call. (The Mercer fans are saying...."Our coach does that every week!" Lol. :) ) I hate scrimmage scores.

No offense, but this time of the year EVERY team is going to make simple mistakes. I am sure the Madison Central staff has a laundry list of missed assignments, missed tackles, and missed opportunities just like Boyle's.

At the end of the day all we can take out of this is Boyle isn't rounded into form yet to go out and play at a Championship level, doesn't mean they wont get there sooner, later, or at all... just means that as expected they still have work to do before the games start to matter (just like 95% of the teams in the State).

No offense taken and I agree 100% was disputing anything you said in the first post other than the mistakes I felt like we made had nothing to do with Madison or how good they may or may not be.

I would add.... scrimmage scores are meaningless. For example, we will always fake a punt in a scrimmage just to make our first opponent defend it. In 1987 in the CKC grid, we got in split backs and ran dive every play....and had never practiced it. When I was at Paris, my best guys might get 30 snaps and then I started protecting bodies. Some coaches call bad plays on purpose so they get their tails kicked as a wake up call. (The Mercer fans are saying...."Our coach does that every week!" Lol. :) ) I hate scrimmage scores.

Always great to get a coaches perspective! Thanks!