NFHS urges college and pro teams to recognize Friday as 'High School Football Night'

theguru

The National Federation of State High School Associations announced a resolution Wednesday aimed a re-emphasizing the notion that Fridays in the fall are reserved for high school football.

“The value of tradition cannot be understated,” Bob Gardner, NFHS executive director. “Friday nights offer communities a traditional time and place to congregate and support their students. If a major college football game was scheduled in the area on a Friday night, it could affect attendance at the high school game or cause the game to be moved to another day. In addition, many of the Friday night college games are televised, which could result in lower attendance at high school contests nationwide.

“We believe retaining Friday nights for high school contests is a plus for colleges as well as they reap the benefits of healthy programs at the high school level.”

NFHS urges college and pro teams to recognize Friday as ‘High School Football Night’ | USA Today High School Sports

I'm fine with one Thursday night game and even a Tuesday night game. Of course Monday Night Football is alright, wish it would start at 7pm though. But, Friday night should be High School Football, Saturday should be College Football and Sunday should be NFL Football.

I know this is probably the wrong crowd to say this around, but I'd rather watch college football than high school football 99% of the time.

Honestly, I'd rather watch mid-level D2, D3 and NAIA schools over a vast majority of high school games. Outside of the top tier teams in a state/region, it isn't exactly always exciting to watch.

The players are bigger and stronger and faster, and that makes for a more exciting product, at least to me.

Somebody should tell Calipari about this tradition as well.

UK's Friday night games at the start of the season definitely hurt attendance in Lexington area.

High school football is collateral damage on those Friday nights. Early UK basketball is played on Friday because UK football is still being played on Saturdays. That allows people to come to town for the entire weekend while also avoid both games happening at the same time. Still stinks for high schools - especially since that is during the playoffs.

Friday night NCAA games are tied to expensive, antiquated cable TV contracts & that's hurting these networks - the NFHS could come through with the coup de grace with a nationwide OTT offering of regional HS games of interest that crushes some college game between 2 mid-majors that is attractive in only a few TV markets & the rest of the country could give a rip about.

I'm fine with one Thursday night game and even a Tuesday night game. Of course Monday Night Football is alright, wish it would start at 7pm though. But, Friday night should be High School Football, Saturday should be College Football and Sunday should be NFL Football.

That creates a problem for smaller high schools that have no lights and need to play Saturday afternoon games. I agree that Friday night should be reserved for High School football but you can't then say that Saturdays are reserved only for college ball. Some high schools cannot accommodate this for the reason given.