BluegrassPreps Class 4A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Ram

Class 4A

The story line for Week 0 in Class 4A is how will the Class’ Top 10 fare against 5A. Of the eight teams beginning action, five will do battle with the next class higher, with the headliner being Hopkinsville challenging Brandon Smith’s South Warren squad. Franklin-Simpson and John Hardin both draw 3A teams with Title aspirations. Defending Champs Johnson Central will take the opportunity to scrimmage and scout.

1. Johnson Central -- OPEN

2. Wayne County vs. 5A Woodford County at Danville (8/19)

3. Collins vs. 5A Madison Southern at Madison Central (8/19)

4. Franklin-Simpson vs. 3A Elizabethtown

5. Ashland at 5A Harlan County (8/19)

6. John Hardin vs. 3A Boyle County at Mercer County (8/19)

7. Hopkinsville at 5A South Warren

8. Mercer County vs. Harrison County (8/19)

9. Rockcastle County -- OPEN

10. Shelby County at 5A Fairdale (8/19)

Can Johnson Central run the table for a repeat? Is Wayne County capable of knocking them off? Who is just outside the Top 10? Who may be ranked too high? What changes can we expect?

Before seeing them in the CHardin 7on7 I would have said Collins is too high, but they have some very good pieces and when the coaches son is your QB and very steady, I like that team.

Franklin Simpson will improve as the season progresses.

Hopkinsville would have been higher had Jalen Johnson been on the team IMO. Without him, that looks about right.

Before seeing them in the CHardin 7on7 I would have said Collins is too high, but they have some very good pieces and when the coaches son is your QB and very steady, I like that team.

Franklin Simpson will improve as the season progresses.

Hopkinsville would have been higher had Jalen Johnson been on the team IMO. Without him, that looks about right.

How much higher up would Hopkinsville be with Johnson? I know he is a super talent but how much of a difference does one player make in 4A football?

How much higher up would Hopkinsville be with Johnson? I know he is a super talent but how much of a difference does one player make in 4A football?

VOR, I'd say 2 spots. Above John Hardin and Ashland. After that, you have to prove it on the field.

I think Hoptown still is loaded.. According to everyone close to the program Jalen would not have been the starting QB. The new coaches are high on their Sophomore QB and were planning to name him the starter and move Johnson to receiver. Would that have happen I don't know but they don't seem to upset and very upbeat.

I can agree with the teams in top 10.

Outside looking in would be Franklin County and Western. Not sure about others.

I think Hopkinsville would have been 2 or 3 in my book. Will need to see how they perform without him.

I think Mercer might go top 5.

Haven't seen or heard anything out of the John Hardin clan. Didn't they loose like 20 sr's last year?

Mercer could go either way. They have a lot of young unproven talent. If they step up and play to potential they could be top 5 but also could drop put of top 10 if they don't. They lost 19 seniors and a lot of them were major contributors. They have a lot of good skill players. As always will depend on O-Line and D-Line.

I can agree with the teams in top 10.

Outside looking in would be Franklin County and Western. Not sure about others.

I think Hopkinsville would have been 2 or 3 in my book. Will need to see how they perform without him.

I think Mercer might go top 5.

Haven't seen or heard anything out of the John Hardin clan. Didn't they loose like 20 sr's last year?

Decimated with losses from last year's team. They will be athletic. Skill positions are never an issue at JH. Sounds like a broken record but this year Witherspoon will have to be special for them. The transfer QB from last year bailed JH out as they didn't have a good option for the position going into the season. This year Witherspoon is at least slotted to play some QB. With Witherspoon, Livers and Ryneheimer in the backfield they will be solid there. Depth and quite honestly talent on the defensive side of the ball will determine the season for the Dogs I think. They should get out of district play....after that it's anyone's guess.

Team to keep an eye on in 4A is Western as they return 11 starters on the offensive side and 9 on the defensive side.

Franklin-Simpson scrimmages at Western this Friday. Will be interesting to see where these two teams stand early.