Scimmage Goals

Winning means absolutely nothing.

It's about seeing what your team can do against outside opponents when you don't know what you will face.

Seeing who does, and who doesn't rise to the occasion of playing under the lights.

Seeing what parts of your scheme need to be tweaked before playing for real.

When we were moved to a different class from the Tomcats, Leon Hart and I decided we would scrimmage each year. One of the highlights of the season for me became our annual preseason scrimmage with Ashland. From a football perspective, it is a great experience for our team. Ashland is sound fundamentally in all phases of the game. They have a physical and well-coached offensive line and defense. Their schemes on both sides of the ball are also outstanding.

When we scrimmage the Tomcats, our manhood and our toughness are tested, and all of our weaknesses are exposed. The video of that scrimmage will tell us exactly what needs to be fixed and is an instant progress report on every player.

All of those reasons are most important in why we scrimmage Ashland, but for me, the best part of the scrimmage was getting to see Coach Hart. Before a scrimmage, both coaches are going to be a lot more relaxed than before a game. Over the years, my visits with Coach Hart before our scrimmage have been a great time for stories, catching up on our families and getting advice, but primarily being thankful for a very good friend.

http://www.afmservers.com/share/friends-who-make-you-better/

What does your team try to get out of scrimmages?

What can the coaches and fans learn from them?

How much does "winning" a scrimmage matter? Does it matter at all?

I like this topic, good thread. Scrimmages, in my opinion, are for coaches to see which players can play for you on Friday nights. You already know about the guys who can play for you, this is more about the ones that your are not sure on. Your "stars" shouldn't play much, but your possible starters and backups should play to see who steps up and who backs off

Another question could be is what do you show your 1st opponent.

Do you run everything or be conservative and not show much?

Our philosophy has always been to not show a lot. Run your basic bread and butter plays and work on becoming really good at those. You also want to work on things that haven't been real strong in practice if it doesn't infringe on the above mentioned of not showing to much

Here are the 10 goals of a scrimmage.

1. Stay healthy

2. Figure out if your team is who you thought.

3. Stay healthy

4. Get live action without it being on your record.

5. Stay healthy

6. Start to figure out what you can and can't do.

7. Stay healthy.

8. Put your team in situations to challenge and better them.

9. Stay healthy.

10. Try and come away feeling good or excited about the regular season.

If stay healthy is so important, why scrimmage? The best way to stay healthy is skip scrimmages and make game 1 your first contact.

OK, I am being a bit facetious. Let's acknowledge that staying healthy is everyone's number one goal. Now let's focus on why play a scrimmage and risk that good health.

1. You want to know if your line can block against defenders who are trying to impress their coaches.

2. You want to know if your skill players can catch a ball and running backs can hang on to the ball when they know they will get hit by opponents who won't let up just before contact so as not to hurt someone.

3. You want to see how your qb reacts to real-time situations. Does he make the reads in a timely fashion to get the ball to his receiver on time.

In short, scrimmages inject a bit of realism into the situation so players have to respond to game-time situations and so coaches can see how their team will be when the games actually count. This is hard to simulate in practice. It is easier to simulate in a practice game against an outside opponent, aka, a scrimmage.

4. You want to see how organized your offense and defense is. Can the offense line up and run their plays in an organized fashion, making progress towards a first down and or score? You want to know if your defense can look and react in an organized fashion to stop the run or the pass.