WMAs Advice

Yep, but if a turkey happens across my stand I'd take him.

Am I reading the information right, can you only hunt the WMAs in the bluegrass region Monday-Thursday in the early archery season?

Im not sure. That sounds silly. Did it say that?

I've hunted several over the years, not too many as of late.

My best advice, never, ever leave anything you can't afford to lose, arrive earlier than you planned to insure your spot is solid, be prepared for yahoo's to walk right dead through your zone...much later in the day than you would.

Well I just went for a quick walk around Taylorsville lake, in just an hour in the woods I saw two deer and plenty of sign.

I walked a creek bed that ran parallel to an overgrown field that was maybe 30 yards away through woods. It seemed like a pretty solid funnel.

I also got a chance to talk to a game warden and he suggested headed into that gigantic briar ridge track of land, which by itself looks like 6000 acres.

• 1 year later...

I scouted a “new to me” section of Taylorsville lake today. It seems like a pretty solid funnel, had plenty of trails, deer turds and I actually jumped at least three deer while walking around.

What I thought was strange though, in probably 6-7 different locations way far apart from each other but right on deer trails, I found deer bones. I looked for sheds in the areas, but bones were all I found. Think that’s a good sign or bad sign? Idk what to make of finding bones.

I scouted a “new to me” section of Taylorsville lake today. It seems like a pretty solid funnel, had plenty of trails, deer turds and I actually jumped at least three deer while walking around.

What I thought was strange though, in probably 6-7 different locations way far apart from each other but right on deer trails, I found deer bones. I looked for sheds in the areas, but bones were all I found. Think that’s a good sign or bad sign? Idk what to make of finding bones.

Deer that were shot and lost by the hunter for whatever reason? Maybe too tough of vegetation to get through for a human...maybe not a great blood trail?

• 5 months later...

Well, after a season of hunting at Taylorsville lake, I can say I’m really liking public land.

I saw deer nearly every trip out...

- I shot and missed a deer I should have nailed.

-I had deer come in to 15 yards in September that I didn’t see until they saw me(which is the worst)

-had a small buck walk close enough for me to almost touch

- had a nice buck that I was scared off by another hunter walking through the woods. It was really close to presenting a shot.

- I did end up killing a button buck that I thought was a doe, but it was with 6 or so other deer, one really nice buck.

All in all, I’m pleased with the opportunities that I had presented to me, and I think I have some spots that should produce in the future.