Hopkinsville - Jalen Johnson?

Guest fogdog.com

He is heading to the academy in Louisville per his family

I don't think anyone can be upset towards Jalen or his family for doing what they believe is best for his basketball future. He is a senior to be and despite being a very solid D1 basketball prospect perhaps he wants to insure he gains more exposure than what he would have at Hoptown.

It seems he had already decided he wanted to forego football in college and focus on basketball. If his options or offers to this point in basketball were not putting him in a position to reach his dreams, changing the course is absolutely something people must respect as his decision. Good luck Jaylen and pretty sure he can benefit from a change to his approach by attending Aspire.

I don't agree with all of this "he needs more exposure", "prep school is better for coaches to see him", etc. If you're a D1 prospect, trust me, college coaches will find you and go to your games. This whole thing of kids needing to transfer to get "more" exposure would send a red flag to me if I'm a college coach. And the last 3-4 kids that tried the prep school route, it HURT their recruiting (Sloan, Cooper, Young).

I don't agree with all of this "he needs more exposure", "prep school is better for coaches to see him", etc. If you're a D1 prospect, trust me, college coaches will find you and go to your games. This whole thing of kids needing to transfer to get "more" exposure would send a red flag to me if I'm a college coach. And the last 3-4 kids that tried the prep school route, it HURT their recruiting (Sloan, Cooper, Young).

Every situation is different and several of those mentioned went prep before their junior season. On the outside looking in exposure can't hurt. Heading into your senior season without serious options requires one to consider trying something different, especially when you have the talent but need to garner some additional interest. You probably are not going to gain any new school interest unless you have a really spectacular senior season i.e. Jake Ohmer. For seniors your time begins to run short for gaining new schools as those who see you typically have already evaluated you and are seeking your commitment if they continue to come watch you.

Aspire will draw coaches who don't have Jalen on the radar, and all it takes is a couple of strong games against good competition for an offer to surface from one of these schools that would not likely even see Jalen @ Hoptown. I feel it's his family's call to determine if it is worth the investment to play at a prep school like Aspire in order to gain exposure and likely accelerate his growth as a basketball player. When is the last time a player from the Hoptown program signed and spent 4 years at a Div 1 school. Maybe they believed the odds for him were better going this route and any cost could be well worth it given a scholarship over 4 years could be valued well over $100,000 when it is all said and done.

Alot of kids with D1 talent don't go on to play D1 ball. That's antiquated thinking to say they will find you. You gotta play in front of Coaches....there are plenty of guards like Jalen in this country and abroad, he needs exposure and he'll get it at Aspire.

I don't know much about the details or anything specific to this young players situation, but I do know this.....what the player says is not material. He has very little say in where he goes. As an overseas player who is now essentially adopted by the coach who was fired from this high school you can pretty much conclude that where he goes is being decided by someone other than his real parents over in Africa. The likelihood is that he is being shopped and despite what the young player says, he will end up where his legal guardian determines. It would be unusual for that person to leave him at the school that he was fired from. It is unfortunate, but these kids are pawns played in a game that adults tend to profit from.