How will POTUS react to the defeat of"skinny health care replacement" bill?

It seems to me that McCain and Murkowski would rather see ObamaCare fail, with the democrats owning it, than risk owning a failed replacement.

Does POTUS move on and start working on tax reform (and thereby accepting defeat), or does he escalate the matter further? If so, what does that escalation look like?

Somehow, I don't see this POTUS accepting defeat.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's probably going to continue to do nothing but insult people on Twitter.

I have seen no evidence he can distinguish between the ACA and the various repeal bills, let alone cares what the differences are. His only concern is claiming victory and holding another White House ceremony.

It seems to me that McCain and Murkowski would rather see ObamaCare fail, with the democrats owning it, than risk owning a failed replacement.

Does POTUS move on and start working on tax reform (and thereby accepting defeat), or does he escalate the matter further? If so, what does that escalation look like?

Accept defeat? I thought he already declared and celebrated victory in the Rose Garden. The only thing missing was the "mission accomplished" banner as a backdrop. :jump:

I do not believe Trump is intelligent and he appears to be anti-intellectual. His role in tax reform will likely be similar to his role in the shepherding of health care legislation. He will stand well to the side and tweet (using the word "very" more than my kids did when they were toddlers). It isn't a bad role for him. One of his strengths is expressing his unfiltered thoughts 140 characters at a time.

Over 6 months in, with a Republican controlled Congress, and President Trump has accomplished nothing. No wall, nor repeal of the ACA, no tax reform, no important legislation of any kind. The only swamp he's drained is his own, quickly replacing several of his own hires. Historically unpopular. Not only that, there seems to be no real clear direction, nothing on the horizon. At least the Republican party was unified against Obama. Now under Trump they can't get together on anything, even though they have the hammer. As a country we seem almost directionless.

It doesn't matter whether he accepts it or not. It was defeated.

It doesn't matter whether he accepts it or not. It was defeated.

There is a difference between setback and defeat. Congress is still going to be in session the rest of August. Trump tried to get this done through lobbying and persuasion. A normal politician would consider the political consequences, accept defeat, and move on. I don't think this POTUS cares about political consequences.

I suspect McCain and Murkowski will see a different side of Trump's persona.

Pretty much every single Senator and Representative has ran on replacing or eliminating Obamacare...this is on them more than Trump if it doesn't happen. When Obamacare ultimately fails however it will be spun as Trump's fault, when the fault should fall on the original bill...the ACA.

Pretty much every single Senator and Representative has ran on replacing or eliminating Obamacare...this is on them more than Trump if it doesn't happen. When Obamacare ultimately fails however it will be spun as Trump's fault, when the fault should fall on the original bill...the ACA.

Dems cooked a bill up they thought would be improved over 8 years. They lost elections and made no improvements. I hang that on them.

Republicans developed no plan to improve healthcare just get rid of it. That is on them.

I won't bet a penny it will happen, but a bipartisan reformation of ACA is what is needed.