Douglass High School Stallions - Newest 6A football squad

The Douglass Stallions initial season starts with high expectations. The Cats Pause picks the newly formed team #2 in their district. The first varsity contest is at Danville on August 19. The biggest regular season contest is at district favorite Scott County on October 6. The team’s website quotes Mr. Douglass: “Without a struggle, there can be no progress.”

Head coach Brian Landis comes to Douglass from the University of Kentucky. Coach Landis also worked at Eastern Kentucky University and Georgetown College. He was an All-American his senior season at Georgetown, as the Tigers won the NAIA national championship. He will have a pool of approximately 1800 students to build his team. Currently, there are almost 80 players on the squad.

The school, constructed at a cost of over 81 million dollars, was built to relieve overcrowding at Henry Clay and Bryan Station, two of Douglass’ district opponents. Douglass has set boundaries and has several unique programs which may allow students to transfer from other districts within Fayette County as long as there is room at the new school. Paul Laurence Dunbar is the fifth team in the district.

It is always interesting to see how many students are attracted by the newest school. A chance to be part of building a new tradition; interacting with a new coaching staff; new team colors (orange and green); new uniforms; new weight training facilities; new everything acts as a huge magnet attracting student /athletes. There is a team website at Frederick Douglass High School Football – FDHS Football #LetsRide and a Facebook Page: Frederick Douglass Football - Home | Facebook. The Football Boosters have elected officers, committees and representatives. This gives the Stallions a distinct advantage when parents and student/athletes are making their high school choice.

Stallion Maliq Trigg was quoted in the Herald-Leader: “Playing with your brothers for three years and then going someplace new is a hard decision, but everyone here has bonded so quickly I think because of the situation. We’ll be the first class at a new school and the first football team here, it’s amazing. What more can you ask for?” asked. Local players are not the only newcomers. Dayton LeBlanc, the son of UK coach Derrick LeBlanc, arrived at Douglass from Denton Ryan High School in Texas after spending the final two months of the past school year at Henry Clay. e forced to step up their football intensity as well as their academic endeavors or be left behind by Douglass. Once Scott County’s new school is opened and the Cardinals drop from 6A, the Stallions may be the king of the hill in their football district. Reading about the all-male collegiate academic preparatory program brings to mind some of the advantages private schools enjoy. On the flipside, Lexington Catholic enrollment may also suffer from this addition to the Fayette County landscape. The energy injected by this new academic institution into the Fayette system is worth watching this season. The Stallions staff and players expect to compete for a state title in their first season. High expectations, indeed!

Research makes it obvious to me Douglass football is very organized, well-funded, and supported by their students, families, staff, administration, and their community! Please share your thoughts about this new program

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The school, constructed at a cost of over 81 million dollars, was built to relieve overcrowding at Henry Clay and Bryan Station, two of Douglass’ district opponents. Douglass has set boundaries and has several unique programs which may allow students to transfer from other districts within Fayette County as long as there is room at the new school. Paul Laurence Dunbar is the fifth team in the district.

The new school is relieving overcrowding at HC and Station but how will Douglass impact the overall landscape of Lex football?

Station seems to have been down a little in the last year or two. HC isn't the strongest they've ever been. Dunbar is Dunbar, Tates Creek is Tates Creek, and Lafayette has been the strongest of the five Fayette schools in recent years. Douglass is in a district with Scott Cty, Dunbar, Station and HC, so I'm not sure what if any impact they will have on Tates Creek and Lafayette.

I'd kind of be surprised if Douglass really takes many players away from them, but what if any impact will they have on Lex Cath and LCA?

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of ripple effect Douglass will have around the county, or if they may even be a tsunami.

The new school is relieving overcrowding at HC and Station but how will Douglass impact the overall landscape of Lex football?

Station seems to have been down a little in the last year or two. HC isn't the strongest they've ever been. Dunbar is Dunbar, Tates Creek is Tates Creek, and Lafayette has been the strongest of the five Fayette schools in recent years. Douglass is in a district with Scott Cty, Dunbar, Station and HC, so I'm not sure what if any impact they will have on Tates Creek and Lafayette.

I'd kind of be surprised if Douglass really takes many players away from them, but what if any impact will they have on Lex Cath and LCA?

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of ripple effect Douglass will have around the county, or if they may even be a tsunami.

Have kids from about every school.

I believe in confidence, but this article seems over the top. 2nd place in district? King of the Hill? Step up academic endeavors, really? Why would you want to anger your district rivals right off the bat. Let's see if they can back it up? I have my doubts?

I believe in confidence, but this article seems over the top. 2nd place in district? King of the Hill? Step up academic endeavors, really? Why would you want to anger your district rivals right off the bat. Let's see if they can back it up? I have my doubts?

Well the kinda angered their district rivals months ago so that ship has sailed. Should be interesting to see how this team comes together. Coach Landis is setting a foundation.

Optimism is good...but how would/will this team be any better than TC, Dunbar, etc. UNLESS they got all the best players from Henry Clay and Bryan Station...which they may have gotten a few of the better ones just by chance, but I'm sure they didn't get all the better ones. I'm not seeing it

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

I definitely don't get the idea that thsrocks is a Douglass person risking angering his rivals. Judging from the avatar and the username (I've always assumed thsrocks alluded to the Trinity High School Shamrocks), I'm guessing this article was written by a Louisville guy who is simply interested in what changes will happen around the Lexington 6A football programs with the addition of a new school.

They picked up Jake O'Buck from LCA. Talented sophomore. 6'5", 295 lbs, strong as an ox. He's a good get. The majority of players I saw coming from other schools were from Bryan Station and Lafayette, but O'Buck is the only one I know of coming from a parochial school.

Optimism is good...but how would/will this team be any better than TC, Dunbar, etc. UNLESS they got all the best players from Henry Clay and Bryan Station...which they may have gotten a few of the better ones just by chance, but I'm sure they didn't get all the better ones. I'm not seeing it

I don't know about Bryan Station, but I know they got 4 up and coming junior players from Henry Clay that would have either started or at least contributed to varsity play. They did not get the best players from Henry Clay nor any seniors. I just have not seen new schools do what they are predicting. Don't get me wrong, they have some talented kids, but will be very young as I believe the senior class is very small. I think they will be competitive, just see it taking more time to equal the success of Scott County, Lafayette, Henry Clay.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue