Shortage of referees

Looks like the number of referee's registered for this season is really low. Less than half have registered compared to last season. I understand that the bgsg will be short next week. If your a former player and you would like to make a little money consider registering.

How does someone become a soccer official?

Buy some ugly socks and a couple of flags. Just kidding.

With the growth of the game over the past few years this does shock me that refs are down.

Buy some ugly socks and a couple of flags. Just kidding.

With the growth of the game over the past few years this does shock me that refs are down.

You are really shocked that ref numbers are down?

A buddy told me the statistic on the youth side is like 50% don't come back every year.

You are really shocked that ref numbers are down?

A buddy told me the statistic on the youth side is like 50% don't come back every year.

I am shocked. There should be a ton of kids that recently played in HS that would still have an interest in reffing. The older generation did not grow up with the sport so I would think there should be a larger pool to pull from. There were always a handful of younger kids working the lines in youth games that should have progressed up.

I guess all the potential refs are too busy drinking the $8 beers at the FC games?

I am shocked. There should be a ton of kids that recently played in HS that would still have an interest in reffing. The older generation did not grow up with the sport so I would think there should be a larger pool to pull from. There were always a handful of younger kids working the lines in youth games that should have progressed up.

I guess all the potential refs are too busy drinking the $8 beers at the FC games?

Unfortunately I think too many of them know what they are in store for if they would ref.

I don't know about you but I am not seeing a lot of new "young" faces out on the field as referees in the games I go to.

I'm guessing (never played soccer and don't watch it much at all) that they physical demands of refereeing are part of the problem. Lots of running, lots of ground to cover, lots of players with only 2-3 refs.

Unfortunately I think too many of them know what they are in store for if they would ref.

I don't know about you but I am not seeing a lot of new "young" faces out on the field as referees in the games I go to.

I'm not seeing any faces on the field. :lol2:

luckily I am retired from having to go to soccer games.

I'm guessing (never played soccer and don't watch it much at all) that they physical demands of refereeing are part of the problem. Lots of running, lots of ground to cover, lots of players with only 2-3 refs.
yeah that's a good point too. Soccer, at least in Kentucky. I would assume is the most physically demanding sport to officiate.