UK 7 on 7 results

Semifinals:

Anderson, Ohio beat Lexington Catholic

Lexington Henry Clay beat Fairfield, Ohio

Finals:

Anderson beat Henry Clay

There were 20 teams total. Here are a couple of observations from what the teams I saw:

For a 2A school, Owensboro Catholic looked really good. They lost in a close one to Lafayette (33-30) in 1st round after pool play. They have good size and some nice skill talent. I look for them to make some damage this year.

After 2 consecutive 6A finals, Lafayette is down this year. Henry Clay beat them on the quarterfinals. You better get them now though because their freshman class last year was the bomb! They crushed everyone they played and had almost 50 players on the team.

Frederick Douglas has a lot of speed and skilled receivers. Very fast and can catch the football. They are very small which might be a concern once contact starts. I have no clue what they have in the trenches, but getting players from 3 schools will help them be better than expected. We will have to wait for real football to see? FD lost to Fairfield Ohio in quarterfinals.

I was not able to see much of Tates Creek, Bryan Station, LCA, or Lexington Catholic as they were in the stadium or inside.

Henry Clay is going to surprise some people this year. For not being a passing team and only playing one 7 on 7 tournament this year, they got beat in the finals. They have 2 senior quarterbacks that can both play and manage the game. Their speed is ridiculous at skill position and on defense. O-line and D-line will be much improved over the past several years. If they can run the football (they could not last year) watch out for this team to be better than expected.

Semifinals:

Anderson, Ohio beat Lexington Catholic

Lexington Henry Clay beat Fairfield, Ohio

Finals:

Anderson beat Henry Clay

There were 20 teams total. Here are a couple of observations from what the teams I saw:

For a 2A school, Owensboro Catholic looked really good. They lost in a close one to Lafayette (33-30) in 1st round after pool play. They have good size and some nice skill talent. I look for them to make some damage this year.

After 2 consecutive 6A finals, Lafayette is down this year. Henry Clay beat them on the quarterfinals. You better get them now though because their freshman class last year was the bomb! They crushed everyone they played and had almost 50 players on the team.

Frederick Douglas has a lot of speed and skilled receivers. Very fast and can catch the football. They are very small which might be a concern once contact starts. I have no clue what they have in the trenches, but getting players from 3 schools will help them be better than expected. We will have to wait for real football to see? FD lost to Fairfield Ohio in quarterfinals.

I was not able to see much of Tates Creek, Bryan Station, LCA, or Lexington Catholic as they were in the stadium or inside.

Henry Clay is going to surprise some people this year. For not being a passing team and only playing one 7 on 7 tournament this year, they got beat in the finals. They have 2 senior quarterbacks that can both play and manage the game. Their speed is ridiculous at skill position and on defense. O-line and D-line will be much improved over the past several years. If they can run the football (they could not last year) watch out for this team to be better than expected.

Tough to gauge from 7 v 7. Lafayette should still be the favorite in the city once they put the pads on. I actually think they will slowly drop off each year for the next few. The freshman class you mentioned is good but they have lost some players, don't really have a qb and they didn't dominate everyone. They lost twice to Scott Co. and beat Tates Creek in OT at home in a game that TC dominated without their freshman qb that played up.

I agree that Frederick Douglas will be better than most expect. As for Henry Clay....I'll believe it when I see it. Unless it's addition by subtraction. They have lost some good players from last years team that really wasn't good. They couldn't pass or run it. They have speed but so do all the city teams. I hope I am wrong about this because there are some really good kids and families over there that deserve better.

Tough to gauge from 7 v 7. Lafayette should still be the favorite in the city once they put the pads on. I actually think they will slowly drop off each year for the next few. The freshman class you mentioned is good but they have lost some players, don't really have a qb and they didn't dominate everyone. They lost twice to Scott Co. and beat Tates Creek in OT at home in a game that TC dominated without their freshman qb that played up.

I agree that Frederick Douglas will be better than most expect. As for Henry Clay....I'll believe it when I see it. Unless it's addition by subtraction. They have lost some good players from last years team that really wasn't good. They couldn't pass or run it. They have speed but so do all the city teams. I hope I am wrong about this because there are some really good kids and families over there that deserve better.

It is tough to gauge teams from 7 on 7. All I look at is from experience. Henry Clay was 1-4 last year at UK 7 on 7 and lost in 1st round after pool play. None of the games were even that close. This year they were 5-2 and got beat in the finals. That is improvement that was seen on Saturday. Hope it rolls into the regular season.

Lafayette should be the favorite and have certainly earned that. You are correct, HC could not run or throw last year. I believe it comes down to the O-line play which so far has been much improved over last year. There are some kids that that have made huge strides with weight, conditioning, and in the weight room. Time will tell. It should be an interesting year in the city to see who comes out on top?

Owensboro Catholic has a shot to do some big things this year. They have a lot of really nice talent returning. If they can get some kids to step up in the secondary and along the offensive line, i think they will have a shot at a state title.