Do You Have a favorite Political Analyst ?

I was thinking about this last night and realized something shocking. Some of the ones I like the best are either Republicans or former Republicans.

If I was in the business to hire one good political analyst, someone who would help me to understand the politics of a situation without any partisan spin, I think I know my guy. He's crazy good and is always spot on, whether he is critical of the Dems or GOP. A straight shooter , this guy understands the science of politics. He has a tremendous breadth and depth of knowledge and experience and he is the rare breed of political operative that owns up to his mistakes(Sarah Palin). I think he is a principled Republican. I respect that.

My guy is former McCain campaign staffer and GOP strategist , Steve Schmidt.

schmidt.jpg

Others who I believe are sharp political brains who stand on principle:

*David Gergen(Have no idea whether he's a Dem or Rep- and that's a sign of a good analyst)

*George Will ( No doubt a Trump disdainer, but a principled conservative and VERY smart)

*Joe Scarborough(Most of the regular panel on "Morning Joe" are very good.

* Most outspoken- republican strategist and staffer for McCain and Jeb Bush , Ana Navaro. I will say she is highly emotional. Maybe a bit too much sometimes, but I will say she is fun to watch.

*Of course, Rachel Maddow slants to the left but she is extremely sharp(probably THE brightest of all w/ PhD. in politics from Oxford) and always has some interesting angles.

*Oh, and Republican/ ex-communications chief for George W. Bush, Nicole Wallace, is good too. I have a pretty healthy crush on her, so she makes my list too.

I can't believe I like all of these Republicans

Who do you think is among the best?

Edited by Science Friction

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch way too much politics. Probably six or more hours a day when I have the time.

I watch none. For example, after the State of the Union speech and the opposition response, I turn the media off (TV, internet, radio, ..., ect.). I've been doing that since I was in high school. I read the transcripts of most speeches, now, and avoid the professional analysis of those speeches.

I watch none. For example, after the State of the Union speech and the opposition response, I turn the media off (TV, internet, radio, ..., ect.). I've been doing that since I was in high school. I read the transcripts of most speeches, now, and avoid the" professional" analysis of those speeches.

There ya go.

I don't really get into political programming. If a politician is delivering his own words, I like to watch or listen. I don't watch or listen other people telling me what that person said. If I read or hear something that is relating something someone else said, I generally will do some google searching and find either the transcript of someone's words, or I will read as many different sources of info as are credible.

Also, for local politics in Louisville, my favorite analyst is @Getslow. For State politics, it is @Bluegrasscard, although I only agree about 60% of the time. :D

Well, I was going to respond to this thread with a sarcastic response of 'me'...:lol2:.

On topic - I am not sure if there is anyone on any network that is worth putting time into. National level politics seems a lost cause and is Kabuki theater mostly. And since both Dems and Repubs want Trump gone we know what the messaging will be from all the talking heads regardless of channel.

Politics gets more real closer to home. State and local should get more interest than it does. I had numerous email exchanges on topics with my old Democratic House Rep and liked him a lot. He answered even when he was voting or advocating something I did not like. Never cared for and still do not care for Repub State senator.

People need to stay as 'independent' as possible - the political analyst are mostly echo chambers for those that are already bent one way or the other.

Well, I was going to respond to this thread with a sarcastic response of 'me'...:lol2:.

On topic - I am not sure if there is anyone on any network that is worth putting time into. National level politics seems a lost cause and is Kabuki theater mostly. And since both Dems and Repubs want Trump gone we know what the messaging will be from all the talking heads regardless of channel.

Politics gets more real closer to home. State and local should get more interest than it does. I had numerous email exchanges on topics with my old Democratic House Rep and liked him a lot. He answered even when he was voting or advocating something I did not like. Never cared for and still do not care for Repub State senator.

People need to stay as 'independent' as possible - the political analyst are mostly echo chambers for those that are already bent one way or the other.

:lol2:. And then you go and post something I agree 100% with.

I also think that some issues that are politicized in the National Stage, and often State Stage, are nothing to be driving forces because the issue is "real" and solutions are "real" when the local community solves them.

It's hard for me to get too excited any more about National politics. I've come to realize that it's more important what happens where I live, and my energies are best spent, and my efforts are most effective, right here where I live.