Charles Krauthammer: "Bungled Collusion is Still Collusion"

The Russia scandal has entered a new phase, and there’s no going back.

For six months, the White House claimed that this scandal was nothing more than innuendo about Trump campaign collusion with Russia in meddling in the 2016 election. Innuendo for which no concrete evidence had been produced.

Yes, there were several meetings with Russian officials, some only belatedly disclosed. But that is circumstantial evidence at best. Meetings tell you nothing unless you know what happened in them. We didn’t. Some of these were casual encounters in large groups, like the famous July 2016 Kislyak-Sessions exchange of pleasantries at the Republican National Convention. Big deal.

I was puzzled. Lots of coverup, but where was the crime? Not even a third-rate burglary. For six months, smoke without fire. Yes, President Trump himself was acting very defensively, as if he were hiding something. But no one ever produced the something.

My view was: Collusion? I just don’t see it. But I’m open to empirical evidence. Show me.

The evidence is now shown. This is not hearsay, not fake news, not unsourced leaks. This is an email chain released by Donald Trump Jr. himself. A British go-between writes that there’s a Russian government effort to help Trump Sr. win the election, and as part of that effort he proposes a meeting with a “Russian government attorney” possessing damaging information on Hillary Clinton. Moreover, the Kremlin is willing to share troves of incriminating documents from the Crown Prosecutor. (Error: Britain has a Crown Prosecutor. Russia has a Prosecutor General.)

Donald Jr. emails back. “I love it.” Fatal words.

Bungled collusion is still collusion - The Washington Post

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because I tend towards a more progressive idealology than Charles on most issues, I don't often see eye-to-eye with him on a lot of things. Overall, I do believe he's pretty fair and speaks from a principled ideological belief system. I respect that even though I differ with him on a number of things.

In this op-ed, I think he really solidly nails it with his analysis of the revelations we all found out about this week.

Krauthammer has always been a bit of a skeptic of the collusion thing until this week. He says that the evidence of collusion has now been shown. Referring to the 20 minute meeting that Donald Jr. said was a "waste," Krauthammer describes it as "incompetent collusion, amateur collusion, comically failed collusion... that does not erase the fact that three top Trump campaign officials were ready to play."

As Rockmom mention the other day, intent is key here and Charles Krauthammer agrees. The fact is, whether they received what they were looking for, these three rascals were ready to play the game. As Krauthammer points out, it may turn out that they later colluded and were more successful. Maybe they didn't. As he says, " But even if nothing else is found, the evidence is damning."

Krauthammer: It’s rather pathetic to hear Trump apologists protesting that it’s no big deal because we Americans are always intervening in other people’s elections, and they in ours. " Agree. Every American should be outraged. Dems, GOP, Liberals, Conservatives, everyone... He argues, and I agree, how can the President's apologists say for months that there was no collusion and now say, so what if they did , everyone does it?

Krauthammer sums up his thoughts with this : "... collusion as a desperate Democratic fiction designed to explain away a lost election — is now officially dead."

I respectfully submit a request for your thoughts on the conservative commentator's newly-formed opinion of the Trump campaign/ Russia connection. Thank you.

Because I tend towards a more progressive idealology than Charles on most issues, I don't often see eye-to-eye with him on a lot of things. Overall, I do believe he's pretty fair and speaks from a principled ideological belief system. I respect that even though I differ with him on a number of things.

In this op-ed, I think he really solidly nails it with his analysis of the revelations we all found out about this week.

Krauthammer has always been a bit of a skeptic of the collusion thing until this week. He says that the evidence of collusion has now been shown. Referring to the 20 minute meeting that Donald Jr. said was a "waste," Krauthammer describes it as "incompetent collusion, amateur collusion, comically failed collusion... that does not erase the fact that three top Trump campaign officials were ready to play."

As Rockmom mention the other day, intent is key here and Charles Krauthammer agrees. The fact is, whether they received what they were looking for, these three rascals were ready to play the game. As Krauthammer points out, it may turn out that they later colluded and were more successful. Maybe they didn't. As he says, " But even if nothing else is found, the evidence is damning."

Krauthammer: It’s rather pathetic to hear Trump apologists protesting that it’s no big deal because we Americans are always intervening in other people’s elections, and they in ours. " Agree. Every American should be outraged. Dems, GOP, Liberals, Conservatives, everyone... He argues, and I agree, how can the President's apologists say for months that there was no collusion and now say, so what if they did , everyone does it?

Krauthammer sums up his thoughts with this : "... collusion as a desperate Democratic fiction designed to explain away a lost election — is now officially dead."

I respectfully submit a request for your thoughts on the conservative commentator's newly-formed opinion of the Trump campaign/ Russia connection. Thank you.

Don Jr. went to a meeting seeking opposition research. Yawn.

And oh by the way, Why did Loretta Lynch let in to the country said Russian Lawyer with out a visa? Awnsers please SF!

Russian Lawyer Who Met with Donald Trump Jr. Worked With Democrats For Years

What is the list of Democrats who worked with this Russian Lawyer? Awnsers please SF!

Edited by Pioneer.Pride

Don Jr. went to a meeting seeking opposition research. Yawn.

And oh by the way, Why did Loretta Lynch let in to the country said Russian Lawyer with out a visa? Awnsers please SF!

Russian Lawyer Who Met with Donald Trump Jr. Worked With Democrats For Years

What is the list of Democrats who worked with this Russian Lawyer? Awnsers please SF!

Trump Falsely Blames Loretta Lynch in Son’s Meeting With Russian Lawyer - The New York Times

How A False Conspiracy Theory About The Russian Lawyer Who Met With Don Jr. Spread To Trump

I'm not SF, but these have been covered in other threads.

Not to mention this is Charles Krauthammer from Fox News.

The tide is turning and if we all are honest with ourselves it comes down to the lying. The lying never stops.

Trump Falsely Blames Loretta Lynch in Son’s Meeting With Russian Lawyer - The New York Times

How A False Conspiracy Theory About The Russian Lawyer Who Met With Don Jr. Spread To Trump

I'm not SF, but these have been covered in other threads.

Not to mention this is Charles Krauthammer from Fox News.

The tide is turning and if we all are honest with ourselves it comes down to the lying. The lying never stops.

Keep dreaming. When you have facts to bring to the table, let me know.

Keep dreaming. When you have facts to bring to the table, let me know.

What facts do you want?

DJTJ lied the other night on Hannity about who was in the room, he lied about the meeting was about Saturday, and he lied for months about the existence of an attempt at collusion. Hell, he even lied about why he released the email strand: "transparency." :lol2:

Kushner has lied on security clearance forms. The only reason he has fewer lies than the 3 amended forms he lied on is he doesn't speak.

Meanwhile POTUS and company have ran down the media as fake and liars.

There are some facts.

I am absilolutely shocked a politician or his family lied to the public. I say we get rid of every politician and their inner circle whenever they get caught in a lie to the public. They are all terrible and accuse each other of the same things they do themselves. Is there any honest politician? I really hope there is a legitimate third party candidate in the next election.

I am absilolutely shocked a politician or his family lied to the public. I say we get rid of every politician and their inner circle whenever they get caught in a lie to the public. They are all terrible and accuse each other of the same things they do themselves. Is there any honest politician? I really hope there is a legitimate third party candidate in the next election.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

True statesmen are pretty much extinct.

When an American citizen goes looking for dirt on their opponent, it looks sinester and traitous. Beyond that, has a law been broken? If so, please name the law that has been broken and what charges would be brought against Trump Jr?

That will depend upon what he received. We have been told it was "20 minutes of nothing." But like I said earlier we were told it didn't happen, it was about adoption, and "ok, it was about dirt on HRC, but it was nothing."

Some more shoes will have to fall for this to be criminal.

That will depend upon what he received. We have been told it was "20 minutes of nothing." But like I said earlier we were told it didn't happen, it was about adoption, and "ok, it was about dirt on HRC, but it was nothing."

Some more shoes will have to fall for this to be criminal.

Name a law that he could, would be charged with. What depending law could he have potentially broken.